Wood stock finishing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood stock finishing question

Whats the best Stain to use? Any certain brand and should I clear it or just polish it? What kind of polish should I use?

Thanks,
    Chris

There is hundreds of ways to do a stock, it all depends on how you want to do it. I use minwax stains and finish with a polyeurathane. You can also use casey birchwood's little kit, they work pretty good.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Well I used the hot iron, damp towel trick to get a bunch of dents out of the wood, then I sanded it down and stained it with Minwax, and it didnt come out very good. So I redid it and cleared it with wood clear and it still looks like shit. So I guess Ill try again.

Comment

Originally posted by bigshoe View Post
        Well I used the hot iron, damp towel trick to get a bunch of dents out of the wood, then I sanded it down and stained it with Minwax, and it didnt come out very good. So I redid it and cleared it with wood clear and it still looks like shit. So I guess Ill try again.
        how does it look like shit exactly? take a picture.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Its not "shinny" nothing like a factory stock should look like, its just stained. Ill post up some pics in a little bit.

Comment

Mine was easy, I dropped it of with CJ and picked it up a few says later. Very reasonable for the time I saved screwing it up myself considered.
            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Working...
            X