This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rlhay2 View Post
    Interesting to see the data in a chart format. Thanks for putting it together.

But why .45 185gr instead of .45 230gr? Is the difference negligible?
    230gr is outside of .45's maximum energy delivery. If you're going for maximum energy delivery 185gr is the projectile of choice.
    Last edited by CJ; 01-31-2013, 09:16 AM.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Okay guys, I updated all of the data and made it a little more accurate with pistol barrel lengths.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
        hmm I wouldnt have guess a 380 would have been DL. Maybe I would be better off with a .22lr...
        Nah, I had the barrel lengths wrong, it's correct now.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
          That's pushing it, is .22 TCM even SAAMI approved yet?
          unsure. I do know that a local gun shop employee started re-loading it because he got one of the 1911's like mine.

The neat thing is Armscor brought a bolt action rifle to shot show that uses the pistol magazines for the .22 TCM. Probably looks like ass with the HUGE pistol magazine hanging out of the bottom of it but still like the idea. Can only imagine what muzzle velocity they will get with a 16" instead of a 4.5" barrel.

Data wise it's basically a 40gr bullet at about 2050fps. What other info do you need?

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
            230gr is outside of .45's maximum energy delivery. If you're going for maximum energy delivery 185gr is the projectile of choice.
            Same goes for the .40? I haven't seen any defense loads in the 155 grain flavor ... 165 is the closest out there in recent memory.

Comment

Cool, you rock for adding the 5.7
              Some cars and a bike...

Some say... they have been raced, some a lot

Comment

Originally posted by Geor! View Post
                Where does my good ole .327 stack up? No need to alter the graphic, just let me know between which calibers it would fall. I'd say between the .357 sig and 10mm, but just guessing.
                I added .327 into the mix. I found two loads that were fucking ridiclous in comparison, I checked up on them and they were both from a blackhawk single action. I'm not going to use any gun-specific loads, if it's in a blackhawk there's a reason - it's really over max pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
                  Same goes for the .40? I haven't seen any defense loads in the 155 grain flavor ... 165 is the closest out there in recent memory.
                  This is all maximum energy delivery since that's the best derivative of true power. Since it takes into account velocity and weight, it's the best way to average. Every cartridge has a sweet spot, and it's never the heaviest round. 500 mag for instance goes up to 700gr, but it's peak is at 350gr. Since I'm using factory SAAMI pressures it keeps all of the cartridges in check within their maximum specs. I'm using several loads from double tap and corbon which are almost always blended. When you get into blended powders you're really squeezing every last drop out - so the data is pretty genuine. Once you leave max SAAMI pressure you've left the cartridge specs and entered into wildcat and overpressure rounds.
                  Last edited by CJ; 01-31-2013, 10:11 AM.

Comment

can you add 45super?
                    man im itching to go to that

Comment

Originally posted by futant View Post
                      can you add 45super?
                      man im itching to go to that
                      That's encroaching on wildcats and I'm trying to avoid that because we would be flooded with 4x as many cartridges like 9mm dillon and 10mm mag, etc. If it's SAAMI approved and popular I'll add it, but I plan on creating a separate chart after this one which adds in less popular calibers like .45 super.

Comment

Originally posted by nash b. View Post
                        10mmnomnomnomnomnomnom
                        ftfy...

Comment

Again what is most interesting is the fact that we have every single major caliber in the same ballpark, from .45LC all the way down to 9mm, including .40, .45, etc. all fall into the same relative energy. I've always said this and this chart further proves it, Excluding .45LC, .45 ACP offers more power than all the cartridges in this category. Diameter is a big deal. If you're delivering the same energy a slower moving larger diameter and weight projectile is going to damage more tissue. So, prioritize off energy, weight, and then use diameter as a tie breaker. So in my opinion of the standard pistol calibers the data is so close .45ACP really has the biggest advantage (excluding .45LC). I would still say .45ACP is the best carry caliber, since it operates at such a low pressure it's relatively unaffected by barrel length unlike 9mm. Some people assume their subcompact 9mm is getting full length velocities, you'd probably be really surprised.

Comment

should add a price per round for giggles

Comment

I updated the data again, I found a within spec 10mm round that (hilariously) beats .357 mag by 1ft/lb. It's verified by Underwood Precision and was a pressure testing round under 37k psi.

Something important to consider is most of these velocities are based on a firearm standard barrel length for the caliber. I think it would be an excellent comparison to set a barrel length control for all data but it would make it VERY difficult to compile the data. Finding a 4" barrel for all the carry calibers is easy, but when you get into .500 mag, .454, .50AE definitely, and .460 that's not always a standard length or one that has been extensively tested.
                              Last edited by CJ; 01-31-2013, 11:09 AM.

Comment

I've done a lot of reading on handgun ammo, and pretty much all of it is about equal as far as man stoppers go. If you watch a video I posted where a doctor was explaining his experience with with people coming into his er from gunshot wounds. Basically he said 1 in 7 die from handgun wounds. He compares from 9mm to .45 showing there really isnt much difference in the two as far as lethal damage.

Im no expert, just going off what I read and feel the most comfortable with. Just remember one shot stops are rare

BTW thanks CJ for taking the time to make this chart, really cool to see the break downs side by side. I can only imagine the time involved in all of this.

Comment

Working...
                                X