Sending e-mails off to Lothar-Walther and Krieger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sending e-mails off to Lothar-Walther and Krieger

To have my barrel made for this LR308 I'm building. I'm looking to go with a 26" bull barrel threaded 5x8x24. I'm waiting to hear back from both on their twist rate recommendation but I'll probably be shooting 175gr SMK's. I'm leaning towards LW over Krieger. The last F-class rifle I used a Sabre Defence barrel, but since that's no longer an option I'm forced to try new things, haha. Anyone here have a LW barrel on an LR308?
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

LW makes good stuff some gunsmiths aren't as fond of them cause they are hard on tooling which shouldn't be much of an issue for you. I bet twist recommendation is 1:11 or 1:10 maybe 1:12 some say for best accuracy use the slowest possible twist that will stabilize the desired bullet.

Also have you looked into 155gr stuff? They have very similar bc and can run a bit faster?
    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
      LW makes good stuff some gunsmiths aren't as fond of them cause they are hard on tooling which shouldn't be much of an issue for you. I bet twist recommendation is 1:11 or 1:10 maybe 1:12 some say for best accuracy use the slowest possible twist that will stabilize the desired bullet.

Also have you looked into 155gr stuff? They have very similar bc and can run a bit faster?
      You have to shoot the piss out of them to keep them from going subsonic at 1000 yards. My experience is they go subsonic at 900 yards unless you're shooting a 30" barrel. I don't know if I will shoot this one in F-class, but I want to keep my options open. I'm not sure how heavy a 26" bull barrel on an LR308 is going to be, but I don't expect it to be light. And with a large scope, laser illuminator, nvg, suppressor, bipod, I expect it will be heavy as shit. Not looking forward to that.

I thought LW will chamber their barrels and headspace for an LR308, or do they only sell blanks for your gunsmith to turn down now?
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

LW will chamber and indicate the gas port, I was referring to the guys that use them for bolt guns, which is typically the euro guys. I have called Krieger, they were extremely friendly and were very helpful as well. Another option for an AR10 is barrels by Boots Oberemeyer he did a few contracts for the AMU rifles.

Comment

White Oak Precision is another good AR-specific barrel shop. They use Krieger blanks. I can't say enough good things about my barrel from them.
          ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
            White Oak Precision is another good AR-specific barrel shop. They use Krieger blanks. I can't say enough good things about my barrel from them.
            Do you have contact info for them?

Comment

I don't think white oak offers barrels on the AR10 platform, all I've ever seen was AR15 stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                <snip>
                I'm not sure how heavy a 26" bull barrel on an LR308 is going to be, but I don't expect it to be light. And with a large scope, laser illuminator, nvg, suppressor, bipod, I expect it will be heavy as shit. Not looking forward to that.

<snip>
                attach a dolly to it to move it around... then you have a mobile shooting platform too LOL

dont forget to check out

http://criterionbarrels.com/ (they make barrels for fulton armory)
                http://www.riflebarrels.com/ (lilja)

Comment

Criterion is the button rifle division of Krieger.

Comment

Krieger is polygonal or ratchet style?

Comment

Single point cut rifled they do offer the 5R canted type rifling.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                        Krieger is polygonal or ratchet style?
                        Neither. Pull-button rifling. Looking at White Oak, they don't appear to have AR10 stuff. Fulton Armory has 22" heavy profile Criterion barrels in stock, FYI.
                        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                          Neither. Pull-button rifling. Looking at White Oak, they don't appear to have AR10 stuff. Fulton Armory has 22" heavy profile Criterion barrels in stock, FYI.
                          Krieger is cut rifled along with Rock Creek, Brux, Border, Bartlein and Obermeyer. Pull button companies are Shilen, Pac-Nor, Mullerworks, Hart, Broughton, Lilja, Kostyshyn, Spencer and Lothar Walther. Criterion is also in the Button type but is owned by Krieger and comes from the same place.

I'm sure I missed a maker or two but those are the biggest players. Benchmark is another big name these days but I'm not sure what type of rifling they use.

Comment

CJ, I thought I remembered you mentioning Black Hole Weaponry a while back in regards to AR15 barrels. I know you are talking about going with a 26" barrel but I was looking at their 24" barrels for my LR-308 build.
                            What are your thoughts on their barrels as far as accuracy and value for the price? I don't usually get to shoot past 300 yards as that's the longest you can shoot at the range I usually go to so I'm not too worried about reaching out to 1000 yards but I would like it be accurate.
                            At $300 for a standard profile or $332 for bull barrel I'm wondering if I can get away with using one of these rather than paying a couple hundred more for a higher end barrel.
                            Last edited by Trick Pony; 04-03-2013, 08:57 PM.
                            Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
                            Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

Comment

Originally posted by Trick Pony View Post
                              CJ, I thought I remembered you mentioning Black Hole Weaponry a while back in regards to AR15 barrels. I know you are talking about going with a 26" barrel but I was looking at their 24" barrels for my LR-308 build. What are your thoughts on their barrels as far as accuracy and value for the price?
                              For the money they are excellent. Right now I think they have a 10 week lead. For that is rather wait on a LW. The barrel is the rifle.

Comment

Working...
                              X