5.56 chamber reamer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5.56 chamber reamer

Anyone have one? I have a 5.56 chamber that just needs a touch with a reamer.

The bullet is about a 1/16 inch from seating all the way and the chamber seems to be about 0.010" off ( too small).

Please let me know, thank you.
    Chris
    Originally posted by Sean88gt
    You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
    Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
    You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Thought about .223 Wylde?
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Correct me if I am wrong but isnt a .223 wylde just a hyped up (PSI) version of the standard .223?

I figured they are the same chamber basically (5.56/.223) just that the 5.56 is slightly longer. The part I am attempting to ream is the throat of the barrel...

This is the case after I rack the bolt by pulling the charging handle back, and letting go. It will chamber a round this way, however it is a PIA to get the bolt to back out as the case becomes stuck in the chamber:
      If I pull the bolt back, and allow it to chamber a round slowly, this is what happens:
      As you can see in the picture below, the case is just shy of seating all the way:
      So, judging by all of this, I figured it was easier to just touch the throat with a ream rather than re-chamber (if that is a .223 Wylde process) the barrel.

Any advice, help, directions are appreciated, I am eager to learn and resolve this.

Thanks,
      Chris
      You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
      You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

I'm sure I'm just muddying the water, then. Midway has 5.56 reamers.

Comment

I did see those last night ($124 lol). Anything I should be extra careful with? I know how to use a tap and die and used to ream on airframes sometimes, same process? Only doing this on one barrel...

What is the difference (nutshell) between .223 Wylde and 5.56?

Comment

Have you marked it to make sure exactly where it is binding? Are you using factory loads?
            "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
              Have you marked it to make sure exactly where it is binding? Are you using factory loads?
              Factory loads, in this environment...lol your funny

But seriously, I have a few never fired (brand new) LC 55gr lying around that I have been using for testing and the 75gr HNDY in the pic. Every one of them is uniform and matches the case measurements listed in several of my books so I assume the case size is not the issue; every case I have does the same thing.

I am quite sure it is the barrel, and it is within the top .085" of the throat almost right where it funnels into the chamber. I was planning on using the turn ¼ - ½, test a round, rinse and repeat.

Of course, I know there are more precise ways of doing this, but I am not dealing with an uber quality barrel here. I can load a round, slide it into the chamber using my finger, turn the barrel upside down and end up having to use a cleaning rod to poke the round out of the chamber.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtracer View Post
                I did see those last night ($124 lol). Anything I should be extra careful with? I know how to use a tap and die and used to ream on airframes sometimes, same process? Only doing this on one barrel...

What is the difference (nutshell) between .223 Wylde and 5.56?
                The case is the same, externally. The difference is in the throat. 5.56 has a longer throat, and is loaded to a higher pressure. That's it. The .223 Wylde just splits the difference, throat wise.

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                  The case is the same, externally. The difference is in the throat. 5.56 has a longer throat, and is loaded to a higher pressure. That's it. The .223 Wylde just splits the difference, throat wise.
                  Okay, that is what I thought, but thank you for the clarification. Not familiar with Wylde chambers, so I have a few things to learn there.

Comment

The difference is the leade, there is no difference in case dimensions. Does a trimmed case fit into the chamber correctly? Try that.
                    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                      Does a trimmed case fit into the chamber correctly? Try that.
                      No sir, actually just finished prepping a few last night, tried a couple and no dice.

If I remember correctly (probably not), I am trimming the case to 1.75"...

Comment

No sir, actually just finished prepping a few last night, tried a couple and no dice.

If I remember correctly (probably not), I am trimming the case to 1.75"...
                        You can't OAL a rifle case, you have to use a case gauge. Do you not have a case gauge?
                        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I have a set of calipers and one of these just for giggles...

If this is not what your are referencing, then no, I dont have one and should probably jump on that...but I still have some LC loads, that dont chamber. So I can look at my reloading process all day long, but not even the factory loads I do have work.

Comment

I have a set of calipers and one of these just for giggles...

If this is not what your are referencing, then no, I dont have one and should probably jump on that...but I still have some LC loads, that dont chamber. So I can look at my reloading process all day long, but not even the factory loads I do have work.
                            Yeah those things are junk, you need a case gauge to make sure your head space is correct. It's possible your barrel extension is the problem and not the chamber. Have you tried changing bolts?

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                              Yeah those things are junk, you need a case gauge to make sure your head space is correct. It's possible your barrel extension is the problem and not the chamber. Have you tried changing bolts?
                              I thought this at first too, may still be the issue. I did try different bolts, I have about 4 that I can access and everyone of them did the same thing.

Heck, I could bring it by if you want to take a look. I could bring the cases I have been testing along with some new ones if it would help? Just not sure what to do at this point and dont want to spend $150 on a one time use tool.

What do you recommend for a case length gauge?

Comment

Working...
                              X