McGowen Barrels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McGowen Barrels

Anyone had any experiences with a McGowen Barrel?

I have a Savage 10FCP in .308 that I am thinking about getting a barrel for chambered in 6mm BR. I would also like to get it threaded and a muzzle brake put on for the off chance that I do end up getting a suppressor, I could take the brake off and screw the suppressor on. I know I don't need to put a brake on it to get it threaded and that I could just put a thread protector on, but I would like to try a brake on it to see what it is like. The part I like about the McGowen is they have brakes that don't need to be timed and I could just have them install one whenever they cut the barrel. I'm trying to do this somewhat on a budget without having to send the barrel off to a smith. The McGowen seems ideal, but I wanted to know if anybody had an opinion on them or any ideas on a better route to go. Thanks in advance.

They make a good quality barrel.
    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Thanks Dee, I appreciate it. I've seen a few mixed reviews on them and just wanted some of you all's thoughts.

Comment

Several manufacturers make a drop in barrel for Savages. Factually, they're my favorite manufacturer of the big American firms. I think the BR needs a PPC bolt head*, so you'll have to source one. Sharp Shooter Supply makes one. If you don't want to fool with that, though, and you're not going to shoot too competitively, you should look at just shooting a .243. They're very very accurate when loaded for correctly, and they don't require more than a barrel swap. While you're at it though, and regardless of what you do, you should step up to a thicker barrel lug, and bed the stock. SS Supply sells thicker barrel lugs, also. More to the point, I can't say enough good things about them. They do tremendous work. They built my rimfire Savage stock, and it's fantastic.

*EDIT: They do not. It's a .308 bolt head.
        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Thanks for the input. I was definitely going to pick up a recoil lug from SSS. I had actually been trying to decide between .243, .243 AI and 6mm BR and I really think for what I want to do, I should go with the 6BR. All I do is punch paper for fun, shoot the occasional hog, and on occasion I get the chance to shoot 300-600 yards on my neighbor's property/deer lease. Both of the .243's have a shorter barrel life and aren't as efficient as the BR. The only advantage I see in the .243s is being able to shoot them as a repeater. Thanks again.

Comment

Any time. The other big advantage is the godawful pile of factory ammo on every gun store shelf, but your plan actually sounds pretty good. Steady as she goes, bud.
            ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Working...
            X