AR15 in 6.8 rem SPC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AR15 in 6.8 rem SPC

I met DOHCTR this weekend, and we had a nice afternoon trading and shooting the breeze.

He said he misses build threads. I've never done one, but I have two AR lowers I'm going to put to use this year.

I picked up two PSA lowers and a PSA LPK with M4 stock and buffer a few months back. Yesterday I found a Stag Arms 5H 6.8 spc M4 upper on gunbroker. All the hard work is done (headspacing), and all I have left is easy.

I did order C products 6.8 mags a while back. I've been trying to figure out how I'm going to keep them from being confused with my 223/5.56 mags. So I've decided to duracoat the weapon. I ordered new reloading dies (6.8) and a few other odds and ends from Midway today. I'll be putting it all together in the next weekend or two. I finished the nursery for the wife, so now I'm going to play with things I want to do.

I'll post photos soon.

If anyone has any duracoat advice, I'm all ears! You guys always have some pretty good advice. I'll be rereading AR15.coms lower build instructions and CJs build topic too.

The 2nd lower is going to be dedicated to a 300 BLK build. I may build my first upper for that one too.

One of these rifles will get an ACOG eventually and the other is going to get an Eotech.... My mil spec A2 223 build has tritiums in the mil spec sights. I want to be able to shoot pigs in the dark with the ACOG.

Comment

Putting together ARs is always fun.

One thing to note - there is no hard work in headspacing an AR. The parts were either made to spec or they weren't. With some of the high end barrel makers you can send in your bolt and have it matched to your barrel, but when you put it together you're still just tightening a barrel nut to a certain torque.
      Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
      Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

Comment

I prefer to think of ARs as an assembly process not really a build. AK kits, that's different. I'm probably going to do my 3rd AR in 300BLK and do the whole thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Trick Pony View Post
          Putting together ARs is always fun.

One thing to note - there is no hard work in headspacing an AR. The parts were either made to spec or they weren't. With some of the high end barrel makers you can send in your bolt and have it matched to your barrel, but when you put it together you're still just tightening a barrel nut to a certain torque.
          I would like to add that it is still very important to check headspacing on an AR, even though then parts are supposed to be plug and play. My cousin and I built three rifles and one of them failed to headspace due to an out of spec barrel. You may know to check it, but it is surprising how many people assume and argue that it is not needed. Better safe than sorry when it comes to controlled explosions near your face.
          I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Okay putting this thing together was disgustingly easy. It's my first short 16" AR though, so it's small and light. I'm going to take it to the range this weekend. Pictures will follow. I will also be cleaning and prepping for duracoat after the range trip.

I don't really like the way the sling mounts in the collapsable rear M4 stock. I do like the side sling mount on the front, but I can't help but thinking it's a bit heavier and the regular sling mount would be fine.

I'm downright half ticked that a standard M1907 sling will not fit through the slot in the rear stock. So now I have an extra Springfield M1907 too. Maybe I can put it on my next AR, probably an 18" 300 BLK.

I didn't take photos during the build, because honestly this modular stuff just falls together too fast.

The hard parts: PSA lower and LPK with 6 position stock. The trigger springs were replaced with DPMS springs, since I've read odd things about the PSA springs. I did polish the detent notches with a good drill bit. This really helps with takedown for cleaning. The upper was Stag 5H in 6.8 spc, M4 copy with fixed front sight. Since it's an A3 style upper, I went with a Daniel Defense fixed rear mount with dual aperatures. It's a nice piece and should suffice.

Next is a range report, painting and then I'm going to get a nice sight of some type. I'm leaning towards an ACOG if there is room, or an Eotech. My wife seems to think I don't need night vision, but what does she know?

So if anyone has any input on ACOGs or Eotechs, I'm all ears. These weren't standard issue way back when I was in the Navy.

Comment

Finally got the last couple parts in for the 6.8 AR I am assembling for my father in law for christmas. Going to take it out and break it in this weekend and make sure it functions with out any hiccups. Its a Bison Armory 16" SPC II upper on a SA lower from one of the group buys a while back. PSA LPK with a little polishing to smooth it out. Nikon p223 3-9x BDC on top with a set of 45* back ups. Not sold on the 45* sights, I like the way they peel but not how they look. The rear on may in fact interfere with the ejected brass, but until I shoot it who knows? Pics I took after assembly below!

Jon

Comment

Don't be too quick to judge the gun if it doesn't group well with the Remington ammo. It has never been very accurate in either of my 6.8s.
                2007 Chevy TBSS

Comment

It wasn't my first choice but the only thing in stock at the time. As long as it functions well I will consider that a win for the time being lol.
                  Jon

Comment

That thing is pretty nice!
                    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Mine is built and now the furniture is painted. I painted the furniture and magazines camo using duracoat so I would not confuse them with 223 mags. My Leupold scope and some other items are on their way from PSA too. I have pictures pre paint and post paint. I will also have scope photos soon too. I'll post all the pics this weekend.

Comment

Well after several months, here are the photos. The top rifle is the 6.8. The middle is my M1A and the lower is my wife's AR15 in 5.56. I built both the lowers clearly. My son will probably inherit the first AR I built in 5.56. It's an A2 clone.

Here is a closer look at the front grip paint job.

Comment

Working...
                        X