Back into reloading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back into reloading

So after a few years away, I had sold my Dillon 650 setup in possibly the dumbest decision of my life. I'll never be without a press again, even if I stop shooting for a while again.

I had decided to get back into USPSA this year, at least 4-8 matches anyways, and possibly 3 gun in the future. Right now I'm consolidated on .40, 5.56, and 12ga. So I was looking for another 650 to start on .40 and then add .223 and saw an ad for a Hornady LNL AP press. I knew nothing about them so I spoke to my friend who loads 50k+ rounds per year and asked his thoughts on the press. He said he liked them and they are good, and he had one in the closet setup to load .40 cal... I asked why he didn't use it and he said it's simply cause he's got a Dillon 1050 (fully fucking automated) and a 650, so he just doesn't need/use this one. He sold it to me for $300 ready to load .40 with dies and all, including a Dillon powder check die setup for it. I got the other stuff I needed, and the components to load 1k rounds and ran off my first 100 tonight.

First impressions are that it is nice. Primer system is cool in that it only presents a primer if you use one. No more skipping good primers like I could do on my old 650. I love the ease of die changes, stupid easy and very secure. I hated that it didn't have the low primer warning so I fitted a Dillion unit to the primer tube, works great after setup. Everything is easy to adjust, and it has a roller handle too.

I dislike that I don't have the strong mount and bullet tray. I dislike no case feeder but I'll get those for it, no biggie there. It also needs a powder drop expander die so I can seat and crimp seperately like I did on the 650, just need to order that.

I just need to chrono the rounds I've loaded so far and then load more.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Originally posted by stevo
    Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Nice! Some days I wish I had a progressive, but I've found that I enjoy the hobby So much that I like spending the time to single stage. Kind of the reason I haven't bought a tumbler either. I like hand cleaning and inspecting all my brass. Takes a lot more time, but I don't mind it.
    2012 GT500

Comment

I see your reloading table doubles as your spank bank table.
      Originally posted by Jester
      Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
      He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
      Originally posted by Denny
      What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
      FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

Originally posted by Cobraman View Post
        Nice! Some days I wish I had a progressive, but I've found that I enjoy the hobby So much that I like spending the time to single stage. Kind of the reason I haven't bought a tumbler either. I like hand cleaning and inspecting all my brass. Takes a lot more time, but I don't mind it.
        I have always had progressives, but I use my single stage more often. The progressive is only for large runs. The single stage is for everything else.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
          I see your reloading table doubles as your spank bank table.

Funny story... I used to live with my best friend (our wives too) and that was his bench, mine is next to it unpainted, no pics. His wife covered it in pics of naked chicks and put lacquer over it and painted shit red. When we sold the last house and moved apart he couldn't take it so I kept it for extra work space. I need to pull that top off and flip if or replace it cause I hate it, I'm just too busy with other shit.

Stevo

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
            I have always had progressives, but I use my single stage more often. The progressive is only for large runs. The single stage is for everything else.

I've never had or used a single stage, but I can see how it's better for precision bullets.

Stevo

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
              I've never had or used a single stage, but I can see how it's better for precision bullets.
              For smaller runs its much faster when you factor in caliber change times.
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                For smaller runs its much faster when you factor in caliber change times.
                On your 650 I'd say yes... but with the Hornady so long as I have bushings, dies, an extra powder measure and tool plate (and staying either large or small primers) it would only take about 3 minutes to swap. Shell plate is one bolt, all the dies have 1/8 turn locking bushings and pop right out. A second powder measure all setup for say .223 and it's extremely simple. Until I add the case feeder and then I'd have to swap stuff on that as well.

Truth be told, I'm gonna stick with just .40 and add .223 here soon. Then I also plan to get stuff to load .300blk, but that's easy too as the only difference will be the dies (from .223 to .300).

Stevo

Comment

Working...
                X