First shot at parkerizing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First shot at parkerizing

A while back I got some Taurus 82's that were in... rough shape to say the least. The bluing looked awful as they had belonged to a police dept down in South America who must have thought that gun care meant leaving a revolver in the bed of your truck for 20 years

Anywho, picked up a large ss tank, some Manganese parkerizing solution, a propane, burning and other odds and ends and set off to right the wrongs of years of neglect as not even a Taurus deserves such poor treatment.

Here is the only pic I could find of one of the revolvers before blasting and I believe it was one of the better ones.

For the parkerizing to properly take to the metal it needs to be a rough surface and must be a non ss ferrous metal, i.e. regular steel. It's important to clean the parts of any grease very thoroughly as even touching the metal will cause fingerprints to be etched into the surface. Pics after glass bead blasting:

Next I stood around a ss tub full of near boiling acid solution enjoying a cigar and watching the parts bubble as the solution etched itself into the parts. After they were done I would take them out, bathe in hot water and then soak in WD40. After letting them soak for several hours I reassembled and this is what I'm left with:

Even though they were dunked at the same time for the same duration some parts did come out darker than others and that is mainly due to the type of metal. From reading, harder metals seem to darken more than softer metals. In particular on these revolvers the cylinder and barrel are a shade darker than the rest of the gun.

Ultimately I'd like to get an electric heating system as I've read it's easier to control the heat and play with a few different recipes of solution for different shades. I'd say for a first time I'm happy with how it turned out.

Not bad, the finish looks great.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Nice dude, looks awesome.
      Originally posted by lincolnboy
      After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

I keep meaning to set up a phosphating tank. A good tip is to submerge each part into methanol immediately after blasting it and to drop it into the park solution while it is still wet with the methanol. It is done when it stops fizzing. Using fresh blasting media also helps out a lot.
        Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

That looks 200% better! Good job.

Comment

No shit, great job!
            Originally posted by Silverback
            Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Now, what are you gonna do about it being a taurus?

hehehehe....
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                Now, what are you gonna do about it being a taurus?

hehehehe....
                HA!

I'd still buy one, put in my my gun case and tell everyone its a plastic dipped S&W 626-4...
                Originally posted by Silverback
                Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Looks like a S&W 10-8. Great job!

Comment

Thanks yall. As for it being a Taurus, you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig... I'll either be trading them or selling them off. I already have some Wesson .38 revolvers so I don't really need some Taurus' as well.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                      Now, what are you gonna do about it being a Taurus?

hehehehe....
                      I have a few Tauruses and they shoot just fine. Handgun shooting is mostly about the person pulling the trigger.
                      Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Looks good phaux!
                        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

That turned out damn good! Nice work.
                          "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Working...
                          X