Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $150 Lyman reloading setup

Can't beat this...

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

I bought a Hornady full lock n load setup earlier this year for $190ish. I also got a rebate for 500 bullets. I got 45 cal XTP hollow points.... so basically I got a full backup reloading setup for a great deal.

RCBS also has rebates from time to time for speer bullets.

I like all the Lyman tools I have and their reloading manual has loads the others don't as well.

Comment

Tempted to jump on this.

I will be a first timer, is there any other required equipment I would need to get going. (Are things like tumblers considered optional / upgrades?)

Considering loading:
      9mm
      38 special and .357 magnum
      .308 Win
      (more to come I am sure)
      "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
      -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

Comment

You would definitely need a tumbler if you're going to reload fired brass. Also will need calipers. I couldn't tell if that kit has a priming tool; just says primer trays, but if it doesn't have one you will need that too.
        For rifle stuff, you will probably need a case trimmer too. Straight-walled pistol cases don't change length much when fired, but shouldered rifle cartridges get longer.
        You will need dies for each caliber of course too.
        Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
        Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

Comment

Originally posted by slow06 View Post
          Tempted to jump on this.

I will be a first timer, is there any other required equipment I would need to get going. (Are things like tumblers considered optional / upgrades?)

Considering loading:
          9mm
          .308 Win
          (more to come I am sure)
          Originally posted by Trick Pony View Post
          You would definitely need a tumbler if you're going to reload fired brass. Also will need calipers. I couldn't tell if that kit has a priming tool; just says primer trays, but if it doesn't have one you will need that too.
          For rifle stuff, you will probably need a case trimmer too. Straight-walled pistol cases don't change length much when fired, but shouldered rifle cartridges get longer.
          You will need dies for each caliber of course too.
          I picked up a frankfort arsenal tumbler from Midway and like it pretty well. For the price, I think it will more than meet my needs.

Most recommend a digital scale ILO the mechanical one.
          Originally posted by Leah
          Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Not a bad deal at all.

Comment

Originally posted by slow06 View Post
              Tempted to jump on this.

Considering loading:
              9mm
              .308 Win
              (more to come I am sure)
              You won't need a primer, it's in the press. It uses one of the spring loaded ones like the older RCBS presses do, they work perfectly fine. The only thing you would need is a digital caliper, which you can get a cheap one on amazon for like $15, and they work well. And the just pick our your dies. You don't need to tumble unless you absolutely want to at first. You can use a special solutions to clean the cases to about 70%.
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

You guys have any thoughts on these two kits (RCBS and Hornady) compared to the Lyman kit? Leaning towards the Hornady for the 500 bullets and electronic scale. Looks like they both have powder measures and handheld priming tools.

Curious if these things are worth the extra ~$100?

Got my brass out and sorted it last night into empty baby wipe containers my wife was about to throw out. Looks like I have about 200 each of 308 and 223. Not much, but it gives me a little to start on when I get to loading rifle ammo.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
                -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Hmmm i always though the cost to start reloading was much more expensive...... I'm very tempted.

Comment

Also, is this considered a single stage press?

Comment

Originally posted by reytx1 View Post
                      Hmmm i always though the cost to start reloading was much more expensive...... I'm very tempted.
                      It is pretty reasonable to get set up. My problem is that I haven't been able to find any pistol powder
                      Originally posted by Leah
                      Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by reytx1 View Post
                        Also, is this considered a single stage press?
                        Yes, take a look at the reloading faq in the reload forum. It will answer all your questions.

Comment

Working...
                        X