Which kit should I buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which kit should I buy?

Started my own thread for this question ...

Going between the Lyman kit for $150 or the Hornady Kit for $259.

Is one press markedly better than the other?
    Are the bullets, electronic scale, and hand primer worth the extra money for the Hornady kit?

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
    -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

My preference goes to the Hornady for no other reason than I haven't really bought anything with their name on it that was sub-par quality or had QC issues. I also like their quick change die setup!
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Originally posted by slow06 View Post
      Started my own thread for this question ...

Going between the Lyman kit for $150 or the Hornady Kit for $259.

Is one press markedly better than the other?
      Are the bullets, electronic scale, and hand primer worth the extra money for the Hornady kit?

http://www.slickguns.com/product/hor...-press-kit-296
      the links dont work for me, but if it's the lock n load bench scale, I have one and it's gone ape shit and needs to be sent back in. So I can't say I would pay anything extra for it.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Honestly, any kit you guy you are going to find things you need to add and things you don't like. I have the RCBS rock chucker kit and the Hornady LnL kit. I like both, but I also have added a Lyman case sizing station, good dial calipers, and other odds and ends. I don't even really remember them all. All of these kits are good and will get you started, but none is really a complete setup....

I went cheap on a vibratory cleaner too and it works just fine. I then have a cheap tumbler to seperate the media from the brass. I have so much brass now and bullets. I need to get more storage containers for my reloads. I like 100 rd plastic boxes for pistol reloads and 50 rounds for rifle. I typically reload anywhere from 100 to 500 rounds per reloading session depending on what I want to shoot next. My goal is to rarely buy new ammo and reload most of my practice rounds myself. I'm probably half way there with the inventory I have now.

Also consider how many different calibers you are going to reload.... I'm loathe to add new calibers because of the required additional components and dies. Although I'm going to break down and add 10mm and 38 super to my mix.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackGT View Post
          My preference goes to the Hornady for no other reason than I haven't really bought anything with their name on it that was sub-par quality or had QC issues. I also like their quick change die setup!
          Yes they are a name I have heard about many times in relation to reloading setups and mostly good things.

Originally posted by CJ View Post
          the links dont work for me, but if it's the lock n load bench scale, I have one and it's gone ape shit and needs to be sent back in. So I can't say I would pay anything extra for it.
          [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PD9YTU/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=slickguns-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217153&creative=399349&creati veASIN=B000PD9YTU[/ame]

Amazon doesn't specify, just says electronic scale. I was trying to buy the best kit hoping it would have everything I needed. Now I realize that is not really accurate and I'm thinking piecing it together won't cost a whole lot more if I can be patient and look around.

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
          Honestly, any kit you guy you are going to find things you need to add and things you don't like. I have the RCBS rock chucker kit and the Hornady LnL kit. I like both, but I also have added a Lyman case sizing station, good dial calipers, and other odds and ends. I don't even really remember them all. All of these kits are good and will get you started, but none is really a complete setup....

I went cheap on a vibratory cleaner too and it works just fine. I then have a cheap tumbler to seperate the media from the brass. I have so much brass now and bullets. I need to get more storage containers for my reloads. I like 100 rd plastic boxes for pistol reloads and 50 rounds for rifle. I typically reload anywhere from 100 to 500 rounds per reloading session depending on what I want to shoot next. My goal is to rarely buy new ammo and reload most of my practice rounds myself. I'm probably half way there with the inventory I have now.

Also consider how many different calibers you are going to reload.... I'm loathe to add new calibers because of the required additional components and dies. Although I'm going to break down and add 10mm and 38 super to my mix.
          I have been thinking about calibers. I think I've got 6 I would like to reload, but I don't want to try that at first. I think I will start with 1 rifle caliber and 1 pistol caliber that I shoot the most and go from there. At this point that would be 9mm and .308. Space will limit me a bit.

So much to consider and learn. I really want to get it all right the first time but that is not realistic. Just going to read as much as I can and work my way through it.
          "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."

Comment

slow did you ever pick up a kit? I just finished cleaning a large supply of brass and am about to do a reloading session in the next week or so. I'm going to be reloading a lot 9mm, 45 ACP and 223/5.56 if you want to see my setup etc. I will also loan you the ABCs of reloading book if you want to read it. It's a great book and not expensive. If you combine it with the advice from this forum and 1 or 2 good reloading manuals, you are all set with even a basic kit. Any of them will work. You are going to add to any of them as you go along though.

Comment

I was close, but as seems to happen every time I look at reloading stuff I bought a gun instead.

I've got an upper I bought on impulse that I don't really want to keep right now so as soon as I can get rid of that I will probably grab that Lyman kit and get rocking.

I probably will take you up on that offer once I get my stuff set up.

Comment

Working...
              X