Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6.5 Creedmoor build.

Making a placeholder for now.

For the longest time I've wanted to build a long range shooter to learn and grow on. I've gotten decent shooting open sights at 200 & 300 yards with a full size AR15 and FAL. Plans are to build a bolt action and learn to work my way up to 1000yds and out past it when I have enough trigger time behind the rifle.

Dieselgeek has been shooting long range competitions for the past 5 years and helped me with the list components that won't break the bank. The list is as follows:

Stock (haven't decided on this yet)
    Bartlein Barrel
    Harris BRS bipod
    Seekins scope mount rail
    Seekins Rings
    Timney #510 trigger
    Bushnell G2DMR 3-5-21x50 scope.

Aaron Roberts of Roberts Precision Rifles in Houston will be doing all the work. I'll update this as progress is made.

UPDATE: Aaron and I had a long talk about this build and we both decided my money was better spent on a custom action rather than doing the machine work and caliber conversion on the Remington 700 action I have. Defiance is one of the top names in the Precision Rifle Series and they make some of the best actions money can buy, they also happen to make actions custom built for Roberts Precision Rifles.

I planned on selling the 700 ADL but ultimately decided to keep it. I decided to order some parts that would improve the rifle over the stock configuration and allow me to get out and start shooting matches while still keeping on a budget. I'll have another thread on that in the next week or two.
    Last edited by motoman; 12-30-2014, 05:38 PM.
    Originally posted by Jester
    Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
    He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
    Originally posted by Denny
    What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
    FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

With pics!

Comment

Will definitely have pics.
      Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.

Comment

Don't forget bottom metal. There are a lot of options out there and some chassis and stocks come with them.

Try and get behind as many stocks/chassis as possible before dropping the coin on one. I thought forever tgat I wanted an AICS chassis but hated it once I got behind one.

Start picking up some of the reloading components here and there when you can find them especially H4350.
        "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

By bottom metal, do you mean mags?

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
            By bottom metal, do you mean mags?
            No. Bottom metal is what mags go into. It usually consists of the the trigger guard, and the plate that surrounds the magazine.
            ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
              No. Bottom metal is what mags go into. It usually consists of the the trigger guard, and the plate that surrounds the magazine.
              This.

Be it a dbm or hinged floor plate or blind box mag.

I would assume you are thinking about using it for a comp rifle so dbm would be best.

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
                This.

Be it a dbm or hinged floor plate or blind box mag.

I would assume you are thinking about using it for a comp rifle so dbm would be best.
                Haven't decided on the stock/chassis system I go with but I'm keeping that in mind.

Comment

Here's a little update. I purchased a Remington 700 ADL from Academy for $379 before tax the weekend before Thanksgiving. Unfortunately I don't have DFWMustangs baller money which means this rifle will be built in stages as the budget allows. With that being said, I didn't want to sit on a rifle I couldn't shoot for a while, and Blackfriday was right around the corner. I picked up a Seekins 20MOA rail and a Primary Arms 4-14x44 MIL/MIL scope, along with some PA rings. I'm sure everyone is thinking, why go with such a low end scope and here's my answer. The scope I was looking for had to meet this criteria: Under $500, have MIL adjustments, and variable power. There aren't many choices out there that fit the bill and the two that did were the Primary Arms and the Millett TRS. After a bit of research, the PA scope had better feedback than the Millett, so I picked up the Primary Arms.

Fast forward to today, scope comes in, I unbox it and check it out. Scope seems to be well built and didn't feel cheap. The knob adjustments had a very audible click and tactile feel to them with very little mushiness. The parallax adjustment, focus adjustment, drop & windage adjustments all worked perfect. However, the power adjustment, not so much. The scope was stuck on 4 power and did not adjust at all up to the 14 power setting. Houston, we have a problem. A quick call to Primary Arms, I let them know what's up, and they have a return label emailed to me quick enough for me to get the scope back in the mail today. Once I have a fixed or replacement scope, I'll get it mounted up and have some pics available.

Perhaps that's what I get for not wanting to spend money on a scope that's essentially a placeholder till I purchase the Bushnell Elite Tactical DMRG2.

Comment

You can always find something else to mount that PA scope on.
                    Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

A lot of the people that picked up the pa seem to like them. My only concern is the glass as quality glass can make a big difference and I wasn't overly fond of the reticle setup.

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
                        A lot of the people that picked up the pa seem to like them. My only concern is the glass as quality glass can make a big difference and I wasn't overly fond of the reticle setup.
                        I know it won't be the same quality of glass that's in the higher end scopes but for money, it's pretty decent glass compared to other scopes in the same price range. This will give me a chance to shoot a match or two and start learning about the Mil reticle and Mil calls. PA just came out with another reticle for their 4-14x44 ACSS FFP scope that uses a very busy reticle, but the idea of the reticle is for the shooter to estimate distanced based on what's in the reticle. The one I got was a more simple mil reticle with mil dots.

Shop our catalog of Rifle Scopes. Find AK 47, AR 308, & AR 15 scopes from Primary Arms, Trijicon, Vortex & more. Available in BDC, MOA, MIL, ACSS & more.

Comment

moto you can hone your skills on the gear you have which is most important. Once the gear is a limiting factor for you, then it is time to upgrade. You can have the best gear in the world but without good skills it's a waste too. Don't let other guys gear choices bother you. Everyone has a different budget and goals. Go have fun shooting your rifle and update us with your progress! I'm hoping to one day get into longer range shooting with my M1A. I know the rifle and glass I have on it now are better than I am. I need to work on my skills.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                            I know it won't be the same quality of glass that's in the higher end scopes but for money, it's pretty decent glass compared to other scopes in the same price range. This will give me a chance to shoot a match or two and start learning about the Mil reticle and Mil calls. PA just came out with another reticle for their 4-14x44 ACSS FFP scope that uses a very busy reticle, but the idea of the reticle is for the shooter to estimate distanced based on what's in the reticle. The one I got was a more simple mil reticle with mil dots.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_...-14xffp308.htm
                            Straight mil dot will serve you well. I guess my issues with their other reticle is they advertised it more as a bdc setup instead of a mil type reticle. I'd say mil is definitely the way to go since you are going to venture into the prs game. It's best to shoot the same system as people that spot for you.

Comment

Got a call from Mark at Primary Arms yesterday afternoon saying he'd received my RMA and apologized for shipping a product that didn't function properly. He assured me he'd check the scope he was sending in it's place and that he'd overnight it to me.

I got home this afternoon to find this handwritten note in the scope box along with some specific instructions on the RMA receipt. Primary Arms did well on their part to rectify the issue and will continue to earn my business.

I'm heading to Frisco Gun Club tomorrow evening to sight in the scope. I'll get some more pics while I'm there.

Comment

Working...
                              X