Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XL 650 vs LnL AP primarily for rifle reloading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XL 650 vs LnL AP primarily for rifle reloading?

I've searched and read and researched and stressed, and it has brought me to this question between these two presses.

I already have a Square Deal B which is set up for EVERY pistol caliber I own (357/38, 9, 40, 45, 10, 44) minus a toolhead I need for the 44. I get good results from it and really have no reason to reload any of that on the next press I get unless its serious bulk and I want to use case/bullet feeders, but in all honesty I can get 50 rounds out of my SDB in 15-20 min including getting everything out, loading primer tube, etc. so I'm happy with that.

I currently have a Lyman Spar-T turret press for my rifle loading. It is slow and painful, especially with 223. I am looking for a press to do bulk loading of 223 and 308 primarily, with some 30-30 and 30-06 on the side occasionally.

My concern with the 650 is the toolhead setup. It seems that ideally I would full length size (being used in a gas gun), remove, de-lube, trim and then run through the reload. Problem being I'd have to remove the first die from the toolhead since I wouldn't be lubing them again (or at the very least back the die out so it wouldn't size). On the Hornady it seems I could have all the dies in place, remove the die for the FL Sizing, and replace it with a universal de-capper to make sure no media got into the flash hole. For the XL650 it kinda seems like the only option would be to either change out that die every time or have 2 toolheads per caliber for necked brass in order to run this setup.

Is there something I am missing with all of this? Seems to be an unnecessary expense on the side of Dillon, but I'm trying to prevent any surprises.

The caliber conversions seem more expensive on the Dillon as well, but at least it comes with one to begin with.

Caveat is that later down the road I may stray away from the SDB if space dictates that I need to downsize and stick to one press, in which case I'd load pistol on the 650 or LnL.

You buy the trimmer head and trim, size, decap separately. That allows your loading tool head to not require a sizing die at all. For high volume you don't want to size, decap, charge, seat, and crimp all at once, it is physically exhausting on rifle. On pistol it's tolerable. The dillon is a better machine imho, runs smoother and it's better built. I have two tool heads for all my rifle calibers.

You don't have to do this, the delube step is not necessary, you load the cartridge lubed, when it's loaded you tumble them for about 2 minutes, they come out dry.
    Last edited by CJ; 12-04-2014, 08:25 PM.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Sorry that was confusing how I worded it. What I meant was I would need 6 die bushings for the hornady and could remove only what I needed in order to size, then cleans and put a universal decapper to make sure no media was in the flash hole.

With the dillon I need 2 whole toolheads ($56) vs 6 bushings for the red press ($27). One press with the case feeder and one caliber is about the same for doing pistol calibers. I'm just worried the dillon will nickel and dime me more with the accessories compared to the hornady. I'd rather have the dillon but I'd like to be cost effective too

Comment

I don't have a dog in the progressive hunt yet. I may never get there, but I know Dillon is the bee's knees, but I must admit every item I've ever bought from red or green company are quality pieces.

Comment

Working...
        X