Starting my first build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting my first build

I ordered a Spikes Tactical stripped lower...it should be here today or tomorrow!

In the next two weeks I will be getting the paperwork together to setup a Trust and sending off the paperwork to make it an SBR. Then, during the 6-8 month (I hear) wait, I'll be collecting parts and assembling.

Thought I'd throw that out there. I've never built one before, so this'll be a new experience for me.

Also, the plan is after this is all done, sometime next year to suppress it.
    Matts1911SA - XBox Live Gamertag

Cool deal man!

Also, make sure you get the engraving done. It is easier to do it when the lower is completely stripped.

But what barrel length are you going with? Also, I assume you are getting a 223 upper?

Edit: Also it shouldn't take 6 months now, I hear the wait times are about 2 months now, 4 at the most.
    Originally posted by lincolnboy
    After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
      Cool deal man!

Also, make sure you get the engraving done. It is easier to do it when the lower is completely stripped.

But what barrel length are you going with? Also, I assume you are getting a 223 upper?

Edit: Also it shouldn't take 6 months now, I hear the wait times are about 2 months now, 4 at the most.
      Yea, I'm going to use the same local guy my boss did for the engraving. Am I right in assuming that that must be done after the SBR paperwork and tax stamp come back?

I think I'm going to go 10.5 inches on the barrel, but I havent set anything in stone just yet. And yes, this first build I'm keeping it simple and doing a .223 upper.

Comment

Just do the engraving somepoing between now and then. The ATF does give a grace period after you receive your stamp, but what that is or who actually knows beats me.

Also, are you going to run the supressor on that 10.5" barrel or have another longer AR barrel to run it on?

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
          Just do the engraving somepoing between now and then. The ATF does give a grace period after you receive your stamp, but what that is or who actually knows beats me.

Also, are you going to run the supressor on that 10.5" barrel or have another longer AR barrel to run it on?
          I was planning on running the suppressor on the 10.5" barrel. Although, I may decide to go a little longer, I haven't quite gotten anything pinned down just yet.

Of course, the suppressor won't be until next year, or late this year. I may decide to do another upper entirely for the suppressor.

Comment

Originally posted by NTexas_V-Star View Post
            I was planning on running the suppressor on the 10.5" barrel. Although, I may decide to go a little longer, I haven't quite gotten anything pinned down just yet.

Of course, the suppressor won't be until next year, or late this year. I may decide to do another upper entirely for the suppressor.
            Just a heads up, a silencer on a 10.5 barrel will still make your ears ring. Also, you should be aware that it can lead to excess and premature wear to the silencer depending on the mfg etc.

Comment

Just a heads up, a silencer on a 10.5 barrel will still make your ears ring. Also, you should be aware that it can lead to excess and premature wear to the silencer depending on the mfg etc.
              Thanks for that! I'll definitely do some homework before purchase.

In your opinion, what would be an ideal length for a suppressed SBR?

Comment

Originally posted by NTexas_V-Star View Post
                Thanks for that! I'll definitely do some homework before purchase.

In your opinion, what would be an ideal length for a suppressed SBR?
                Personally, 14.5" is as small as I would go with a can.

That being said, even then some still arent "hearing safe" as with most rifle calibers arent.

In the end it's your rifle. 10.5" rifles are cool and supressors do work on them (they're far quieter than without one), you just have to decide if you want the excess wear etc. The good thing about an SBR is you have how ever many uppers you want.

Comment

Personally, 14.5" is as small as I would go with a can.

That being said, even then some still arent "hearing safe" as with most rifle calibers arent.

In the end it's your rifle. 10.5" rifles are cool and supressors do work on them (they're far quieter than without one), you just have to decide if you want the excess wear etc. The good thing about an SBR is you have how ever many uppers you want.
                  My boss and I were just discussing this, and I think I'm going to start with a 10.5", and then later down the road if I don't like the suppressor on it, I'll end up picking up a longer upper for it.

I think that's the route I'm going to go.

Comment

Working...
                  X