F-22 crashes in Alaska: pilot missing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-22 crashes in Alaska: pilot missing

Washington (CNN) -- The pilot of an F-22 aircraft that crashed in Alaska while on a routine training mission has been identified as Capt. Jeffrey Haney.

Search and rescue crews have found the wreckage of the plane, but the pilot was still missing early Friday morning.

The wreckage was discovered Wednesday, a day after the aircraft lost contact with air traffic control, officials from Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson at Anchorage, Alaska, said.

The plane was found near a creek bed in between two mountains in an area about 100 miles north of Anchorage.

Searchers combed through the area looking for Haney, who is assigned to the 525th Fighter Squadron. The wreckage was in such a condition that they were unable to find any sign of the pilot, authorities said.

He was on a nighttime training mission when his plane went down.

By Thursday afternoon, the Air Force still hadn't established if the pilot was killed in the crash or ejected safely and is in the wilds of Alaska facing sub-zero nighttime temperatures.

Isn't that the 3rd or 4th one? WTF is up with that plane?

I hope the pilot is found alive.

Comment

Do they not have the means to tell for certain that a pilot ejected? Doesn't the chair have a homing beacon?

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
        Isn't that the 3rd or 4th one? WTF is up with that plane?
        Built with parts from China?

Comment

That sucks

Comment

I hope they find the pilot alive, I'm still pissed I missed seeing the F22 at the Alliance airshow a few weeks ago.

Comment

No chance of survival if he spent the night out in the open...

Comment

That's a helluva shot from a sub off the coast of California from a week earlier!

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
                  That's a helluva shot from a sub off the coast of California from a week earlier!
                  This is what happened.
                  "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                  "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Maybe they could get Sarah Palin and her family to fly those things till they get the bugs worked out of them.
                    sigpic
                    Old Fords Rule

Comment

Originally posted by 12SecondT-bird View Post
                      Maybe they could get Sarah Palin and her family to fly those things till they get the bugs worked out of them.
                      I'd prefer if it was Reid, Pelosi, and Obama.
                      Originally posted by BradM
                      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                      Originally posted by Leah
                      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

4-1-07...it's shortly after lunch at the pt. Mugu NAS...the morning marine layer has just about burned off...The Raptor takes to the air and the conditions a...

One of my favorite videos of the F-22, showing a lot of views of condensation forming in turns, etc. :biggrin:
                        Mustangs previously owned:
                        1967 Coupe V8 (My first car)
                        1992 LX AOD
                        1993 LX Drag Car
                        1995 GTS
                        1997 Cobra
                        2000 Cobra R

2002 Corvette C5 A4 10.64@ 127.1
                        Undercover SC Dragster 8.10's

In the garage now....
                        2016 Honda Accord Touring
                        2015 F-150 Silver 5.0 XLT SuperCrew, like new condition

Retired 2008 after 41 years as an EE at LTV (Garland)/TI/Raytheon. Enjoying ham radio now.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
                          Missile fired off Chinese shrimping boat off Alaska coast I bet

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                            I'd prefer if it was Reid, Pelosi, and Obama.
                            You're right, Palin is too fucking stupid to know horizon from deck.
                            sigpic
                            Old Fords Rule

Comment

Originally posted by 12SecondT-bird View Post
                              You're right, Palin is too fucking stupid to know horizon from deck.
                              Yikes DeWayne, where are you coming up with this stuff?
                              When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Working...
                              X