Clayton County Food Stamp Snafu Angers Many

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clayton County Food Stamp Snafu Angers Many

CLAYTON COUNTY, Ga. - Anger and frustration from dozens of Clayton County parents who say their children are going hungry after their food stamps were suddenly cut off.

State officials admit that something went wrong down in Clayton County at the office that administers food stamps and Medicaid but they're still not sure what.

Parents say they can't buy food without those food stamps.

Terry Clark says she stood in line for more than six hours at Clayton County's Human Services Office because food stamp help for her six children unexpectedly ended.

"There's no telling my kids we can't eat. I'm not taking no. We don't deserve that. Nobody should go hungry here in Georgia," said Terry Clark.

State officials say the office was overwhelmed Tuesday with dozens of families facing a similar problem. The food stamps are just not there.

"Me and my kids they haven't ate since this morning. I was supposed to get my food stamps yesterday and I got nothing," said a mother.

A state spokesperson says what happened was out of the ordinary and unexpected but she said they don't know yet what went wrong -- what was the glitch that lead to this mess?

"Our budgets have not been increased, they've been decreased," said one official.

The office director admitted there were problems as he tried to calm fears.

In a statement, a state spokesperson says, "We have both state and county staff working to understand the cause of the problem today. We are working to ensure people receive their food stamps as soon as possible."

"I'm a cancer patient. I need these pills to survive," said Candace Bennett.

Candace Bennett says her cancer medications have nearly run out and after spending all day at the office. Her Medicaid and her food stamps are both still on hold.

State officials say that the Clayton County office was closed Monday because of furloughs and that could have contributed to the lines. They are investigating whether some sort of paperwork or computer problem might have lead to some families getting their benefits cut off by mistake.

see link for video...http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpp/news...20110810-am-sd

They should give them extra food stamps to make up for the error with their free foodstamps. After this much time those dozens of kids gotta be extra hungry.

Comment

who cares if she's sick why the fuck does she have 6 kids if she can't feed them. I say cut welfare. Fuck em all

Comment

Obviously they are desperate, you never know what could happen, they may get a job next.
        Originally posted by racrguy
        What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
        Originally posted by racrguy
        Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

How long will they last in the absence of an organized government?

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
            Obviously they are desperate, you never know what could happen, they may get a job next.
            no shit, i forget what european country it was but unemployment was at an all time high. They kept extending unemployment and it kept going up, well finally the decided on to take a diff approach and cut it off. Well what do you know people started getting jobs again..hummm

Comment

It's only going to get worse.
              G'Day Mate

Comment

Originally posted by onemeangixxer7502 View Post
                no shit, i forget what european country it was but unemployment was at an all time high. They kept extending unemployment and it kept going up, well finally the decided on to take a diff approach and cut it off. Well what do you know people started getting jobs again..hummm
                Greece?
                G'Day Mate

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                  Ain't no time for a job with all those kids. the government pays them too much to sit at home one their lazy, fat asses.

Comment

In all seriousness, I feel sorry for the kids. It isn't their fault they were born into families that can't support them, and they have no choice but to be raised by a bunch of moochers who will eventually instill the same thought process in their kids.

Comment

Why do I imagine that this woman is fat?

Comment

Originally posted by Racewerx View Post
                        Why do I imagine that this woman is fat?
                        lol a fat woman with cancer?

Comment

I remember when I was younger, people used to be embarrassed to be on welfare. The C-store by my job takes Lone Star and those animals there are proud to swip that fucking thing.

Comment

Obama will help them

Comment

Originally posted by EazyDuzIt View Post
                              I remember when I was younger, people used to be embarrassed to be on welfare. The C-store by my job takes Lone Star and those animals there are proud to swip that fucking thing.
                              Now they have the honor of "Sticking it to da man!"

Comment

Working...
                              X