SLR Camera Folks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLR Camera Folks

I have an OLD Canon 35mm camera w/a bunch of different lenses. Do you guys know if they will fit on a new Canon Digital Camera? I can upload pics of the camera and lenses if it will help...

TYIA!
    Last edited by fredfarmer; 09-30-2011, 12:12 PM.

No they wont unless someone makes an adapter for them man.

Comment

Just out of curiosity what kind of camera and what kind of lens?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny46 View Post
        Just out of curiosity what kind of camera and what kind of lens?
        Not sure if this will answer your question, but here a some pics...

Comment

Originally posted by fredfarmer View Post
          I have an OLD Canon 35mm camera w/a bunch of different lenses. Do you guys know if they will fit on a new Canon Digital Camera? I can upload pics of the camera and lenses if it will help...

TYIA!
          No. Your AE-1P (and similar vintage Canons) used the 'FD' breechlock lens mount. Your lenses appear to be the last generation FD lenses, which superficially resembled other mfrs' bayonet-mount lenses, but still fit the FL/FD bodies.

In 1984, Canon changed to the completely different EOS mount, which is still in use on their current digital bodies, with some variances between full-frame and 1.5/1.6X format bodies.

Older Canon bodies had a short lens-to-focal-plane distance compared to other SLR's, which means the add'l thickness of FD-to-whatever adaptors (where available, like to Nikon) means even when you can mount an FD lens on a newer digital body, you usually lose infinity focus.

Besides, you would lose auto focus and auto exposure.

I still have a bunch of Canon FD hardware. Bodies, lenses, etc. GREAT stuff in its day, but unless you want to shoot film in the older bodies, it's functionally obsolete - no conversion to digital available.

Your AE-1P was the best of the breed, and it looks like your lenses are Canon brand rather than 3d party, but even in mint condition, your gear will likely bring pennies on the dollar on CL or ebay. And no, I'm not offering to take it off your hands....

Comment

Originally posted by SBBII View Post
            No. Your AE-1P (and similar vintage Canons) used the 'FD' breechlock lens mount. Your lenses appear to be the last generation FD lenses, which superficially resembled other mfrs' bayonet-mount lenses, but still fit the FL/FD bodies.

In 1984, Canon changed to the completely different EOS mount, which is still in use on their current digital bodies, with some variances between full-frame and 1.5/1.6X format bodies.

Older Canon bodies had a short lens-to-focal-plane distance compared to other SLR's, which means the add'l thickness of FD-to-whatever adaptors (where available, like to Nikon) means even when you can mount an FD lens on a newer digital body, you usually lose infinity focus.

Besides, you would lose auto focus and auto exposure.

I still have a bunch of Canon FD hardware. Bodies, lenses, etc. GREAT stuff in its day, but unless you want to shoot film in the older bodies, it's functionally obsolete - no conversion to digital available.

Your AE-1P was the best of the breed, and it looks like your lenses are Canon brand rather than 3d party, but even in mint condition, your gear will likely bring pennies on the dollar on CL or ebay. And no, I'm not offering to take it off your hands....
            Thanks for the info man!
            And I'm not really looking to sell em, but thanks for the offer...

Comment

Originally posted by fredfarmer View Post
              Not sure if this will answer your question, but here a some pics...

DAMN...I haven't seen one of those in a while....very good.....but old camera. Bet it takes nice pics. I tossed around the idea of getting a really good older SLR film camera a few years ago but decided I like the convenience of not having to develop the pics...it is so easy to get spoiled with digital. I didn't buy a DSLR because I wanted something more portable so I compromised with a Canon Powershot SX230 HS. It takes nice shots for its size. Probably do best by taking really good shots of that thing and throwing it on Ebay. You won't get jack for it on Craigslist.

Comment

Working...
              X