New truck wanted- opinions and advise wanted:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New truck wanted- opinions and advise wanted:

Ok, so the Mark is totaled so now I get to pick a new vehicle.

I was planning on getting a truck next year, this just sped it up.

So here is the question:

If you had $5,000 to spend on a used truck, what would you get and why? It needs to be extended/crew cab for the family, and will eventually pull a trailer with my stang.

Fire away.
    86 SVO

with that budget you can find a ext cab early ls series gm truck. thats what ild reccomend
    07 f250-family truckster
    08 Denali -baby hauler
    52 f1-rust bucket
    05 Jeep tj. Buggy
    livin the double-wide dream

Comment

for five grand. i would buy a small truck till you actually started needing to pull and then up grade.
      http://dfwdirtriders.com/ New Website for the off road peeps

Comment

Good luck finding a decent truck for 5k.. maybe a mid 90's ford or chebby?

Comment

1967 Ford f100........ spend the rest of the cash dropping it and cleaning it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
            1967 Ford f100........ spend the rest of the cash dropping it and cleaning it up.
            Now that idea I like!
            86 SVO

Comment

I advise you seek new advice

Comment

searchtempest.com

Comment

You can get a decent 99-01 Chevy/GMC xcab for that with a 4.8/5.3, but it's gonna have well over 100k and some dings/scratches, and you can't be too picky on the color combo either.

Comment

Originally posted by MattB View Post
                    You can get a decent 99-01 Chevy/GMC xcab for that with a 4.8/5.3, but it's gonna have well over 100k and some dings/scratches, and you can't be too picky on the color combo either.
                    this. hold out for a 5.3 if you plan on towing a car. Or look for a 2500hd with the 6.0/4L80

Comment

What are the late 90's early 2000 ford fx4's going for now? I always thought those were pretty nice trucks.
                      "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Originally posted by Pro88LX View Post
                        this. hold out for a 5.3 if you plan on towing a car. Or look for a 2500hd with the 6.0/4L80
                        A 4.8 is fine, unless you are towing all the time, or hauling/towing heavy loads. I've towed a 3200# racecar + 18' open trailer with a 4.8/auto ex-cab all over Texas. That being said, a 5.3 gets about the same mileage as a 4.8, probably gets BETTER mileage while towing a similar load, bit a 4.8 will still get the job done. The only 6.0 2500s in that price range will be work trucks, single cabs, or a combination of the two. A 2500/6.0 combo will be way better for towing, but get 3-4 MPG worse than a similarly equipped 4.8/5.3 1500. Hell, I got 17 MPG towing an empty trailer to NC in a 4.8/auto ex-cab a few months ago.

Comment

Thanks guys.
                          Won't be towing anything for a while as the project car still has a lot of work left to do.
                          And then, it will only be a couple times a month if that.
                          86 SVO

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by MattB View Post
                              this is what i would recomend.
                              2007 Silverado CC
                              1970 Mustang Coupe

True Street Motorsports. 972-542-9886

Comment

Working...
                              X