Occupy protesters showered with job applications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Occupy protesters showered with job applications

McDonald's Job Applications Dumped On 'Occupy' Protesters By Chicago Board Of Trade

On top of cold weather and logistical pains, "Occupy" protesters in Chicago last week dealt with an embarrassing stunt.

Dozens of photocopied McDonald's job applications were reportedly thrown from the Chicago Board of Trade building and onto Occupy Chicago protestors earlier this week, according to Chicagoist (h/t Mediaite).

In April, McDonald's announced plans to hire 50,000 new employees in a single day. The fast food giant was subsequently flooded with more than one million applications, a McDonald's spokeswoman told HuffPost in April. As of October, there are officially 13.9 million unemployed people in America today

Indeed, the incident isn't the first conflict near the Chicago Board of Trade building since the beginning of the protests. Last month, the same floor's windows had signs reading "WE ARE THE 1%" taped to them, a prelude to photocopies thrown from the same windows reading "WE ARE THE 1% PAYING FOR THIS," Chicagoist reports.

The episode was spoofed on Real Time With Bill Maher, who speculated further such signs might read "Save Our Trumps" and "You Can't Go Home Again -- No, Seriously, You Can't, I Just Foreclosed It."

Although Occupy Wall Street quickly gained national recognition, the movement has yet to receive mass approval. A recent poll revealed around 37 percent of Americans support Occupy Wall Street, and another poll found 35 percent of the nation's millionaires support the movement.

Antagonistic behavior, though, has been most severe within the financial industry itself.

Last month, CNBC reported that Goldman Sachs has forbidden employees from going anywhere near Zuccotti Park. Soon after, the investment bank withdrew from a fundraiser hosted by the Lower East Side People's Federal Credit Union because Occupy Wall Street was included on the list of honorees, the Wall Street Journal reports.

And what many Wall Street firms say about the protesters in public and behind closed doors might vary quite a bit too. The New York Times reports that while investment bankers may publicly express sympathy for the protesters, it's quite a different story behind closed doors.

"Most people view it as a ragtag group looking for sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll," one top hedge fund manager anonymously told the New York Times.
    I just love seeing the Huffington Post comment on this idiocy.
    Last edited by CJ; 11-07-2011, 11:48 AM.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

This whole time I have been wondering if any of these people have jobs? I mean I work 8-5 and I am "happy", what seems to be their (occupy protestors) problem (if you can get a straight answer)?
    Originally posted by Sean88gt
    You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
    Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
    You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

Oh, showered, which is also ironic.
      Last edited by Nash B.; 11-07-2011, 11:56 AM.
      Originally posted by Broncojohnny
      HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Hahahaha!

Comment

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
          Oh, showered, which is also ironic.
          Yeah. Probably the closest thing to a real shower most of them have had in the last month.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
            Yeah. Probably the closest thing to a real shower most of them have had in the last month.
            Just waiting for the health issues to spring up....
            You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
            You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtracer View Post
              Just waiting for the health issues to spring up....
              Head-lice outbreak in Oregon as we speak.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtracer View Post
                This whole time I have been wondering if any of these people have jobs? I mean I work 8-5 and I am "happy", what seems to be their (occupy protestors) problem (if you can get a straight answer)?
                That's the main problem with their protest. There is no clear-cut set of goals beyond whining that they're poor. Some of them are mad at the banking industry, some of them are mad that they amassed huge debts by taking loans out for going to school and that they now cannot find a job, and still some are mad about other things. Protests of this type have such ambiguous goals that they receive so many different people protesting for so many different reasons and nothing will ever be accomplished because of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
                  That's the main problem with their protest. There is no clear-cut set of goals beyond whining that they're poor. Some of them are mad at the banking industry, some of them are mad that they amassed huge debts by taking loans out for going to school and that they now cannot find a job, and still some are mad about other things. Protests of this type have such ambiguous goals that they receive so many different people protesting for so many different reasons and nothing will ever be accomplished because of it.
                  You forget there are also people that are only there because it's a scene(not really protesting, just hanging out).

Comment

Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
                    You forget there are also people that are only there because it's a scene(not really protesting, just hanging out).
                    That's what I meant by having ambiguous goals. There are (as you said) also people without any at all.

Comment

I think it is going to be real interesting come tax time when they have to disclose the millions they have received accross the nation ( one guy gave $650k??) as a "non- profit" considering there are so many "branches"... Then they are going to get screwed even more. Or at least the people who's names are on the Non-profit docs.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
                        Head-lice outbreak in Oregon as we speak.
                        Run for your lives!!!!

Comment

I agree 100%.
                          Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
                            Ya, they call them neighbors. Just look at Hawaii's homeless amount. I'm waiting for "Occupy Honolulu". It should look like every other day there.
                            Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

I am against picketing, but I don't know how to show it.

Comment

Working...
                              X