How to paint lead fishing jigs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kdventura73 View Post
    I have some horror stories from that trip but your post made me remember this one guy on that trip. This guy was on the trip as a anniversary gift from his wife. About 6hrs out he was blowing chunks and sitting outside so he could do it over the side. Then a couple hours later he was laying on the deck throwing up. He layed there til it was time to fish and he looked like hell. He was so beat from throwing up he couldn't even stand and was on his knees with a pole he could barely reel up.On the way back he just layed on the deck with all the fish guts and blood splashing on him. I watched this guy the whole trip and he changed 5 different colors and sadly didn't catch anything. At the end of our trip our group caught over 150lbs of tuna and we gave him some for being man enough to power through it.
    My favorite memory was when I was talking to my dad and he was looking at me and the guy to my right started to throw up and my dad turned the other way and the lady next to him started to throw up, then He said " Ahh eff this" and he started losing his lunch. It was like a bad version of the pie eating contest in the movie Stand By Me.I was the only one in our group that didn't throw up but there was a couple of times I felt nauseous. Even some of the deckhand said it was pretty rough and were not feeling so good. All in all I was fun and I would do it again.

Holy shit that's a horror story!

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
      I will have to order a couple. What colors were working the best?
      The ones they had were just Blue/silver with wings and but I see that they have blue/crystal so I would pick up both colors to be safe.I didn't even notice they have a pic of Dolphin Dock crew which is the outfit I went out on in Port A. I wish I knew about those lures before buying the jigs. If you get to experience the live flying fish,try and catch them then use them for live bait. They will be hitting the boat like a kid throwing rocks at you. You will have a blast when you catch tuna, they are a real fight and when they get on the deck, they will try to run flopping their tail against the deck which sounds like an air hammer on a lift post. I don't know if the Captain of GPB does this but on our trip a 16yr old caught that 180lb Tuna and when on board the Captain walked over to the tuna pulled out his knife and cut the heart out of the fish(about the size of an apple) and told the kid since he caught the big fish he had to eat the beating heart. Well the kid refused so the Captain said "Your loss" and bit into it and ate the whole thing! Post some Pics when you get back!

Comment

Originally posted by kdventura73 View Post
        The ones they had were just Blue/silver with wings and but I see that they have blue/crystal so I would pick up both colors to be safe.I didn't even notice they have a pic of Dolphin Dock crew which is the outfit I went out on in Port A. I wish I knew about those lures before buying the jigs. If you get to experience the live flying fish,try and catch them then use them for live bait. They will be hitting the boat like a kid throwing rocks at you. You will have a blast when you catch tuna, they are a real fight and when they get on the deck, they will try to run flopping their tail against the deck which sounds like an air hammer on a lift post. I don't know if the Captain of GPB does this but on our trip a 16yr old caught that 180lb Tuna and when on board the Captain walked over to the tuna pulled out his knife and cut the heart out of the fish(about the size of an apple) and told the kid since he caught the big fish he had to eat the beating heart. Well the kid refused so the Captain said "Your loss" and bit into it and ate the whole thing! Post some Pics when you get back!
        This is my first trip for tuna, so I bought a Penn Torque 300 Lever Drag reel and Penn International Stand-Up rod. I'm loading the Torque with 150lb braid, so I'm pretty confident if I get a fish, I'm landing it.

One of the guys likes to take the Sushi Grade meat from right behind the head as soon as he lands it. I freaking HATE Sushi, but I told him if he does it, I'll man up and give it a try.

Comment

my last fishing trip.. i want to go back and get a tuna! i went with my dad and his buddy.. it was awesome, but that little boat sure did move a lot!
          ازدهار رأسه برعشيت

Comment

I always cleaned lead with an ethanol wipedown and let it dry, thast was the only acceptable "legal " way to clean certified weights. I imagine it would prep it for painting just fine.

Comment

I cleaned the jigs with soap/water, then went over them with vinegar.

I used white spray primer, then coated this stuff on with a brush. It would spread really thin, so I lost my patience and started gobbing it on.

They turned out pretty good. This is the finished product with the eyes and assist hooks attached.

I used Krylon triple clear to clear coat them.

Comment

Working...
              X