No asteroid close-call thread???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No asteroid close-call thread???

It won't hit us, but a rock the size of an aircraft carrier will pass within 9/10 of the distance to the moon this evening.

Huge Asteroid 2005 YU55 Approaches EarthThe quarter-mile wide space rock will miss us... but astronomically, it's a near-miss.

THE GIST
    • The 400-meter wide asteroid will pass inside the orbit of the moon.
    • 2005 YU55 is the closest a known object this large has ever gotten to a collision with Earth.
    • Observatories are on high alert worldwide in the hope of glimpsing the space rock as it flies past on Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. ET.

On Tuesday, Nov. 8, an asteroid deemed "potentially hazardous" by the Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Ma. will approach Earth's atmosphere.

Fortunately for us, Asteroid 2005 YU55 will miss an Earthly encounter by 0.85 lunar distance, or approximately 208,000 miles (335,000 kilometers).

With a diameter of 400 meters, the approach will mark the closest a known object this large has ever gotten to a collision with Earth and will continue to hold that record until Asteroid 2001 WN5 gets within 0.6 lunar distance in 2028. 2005 YU55 was only discovered 6 years ago, so there is still the possibility that Space Watch may find other monstrous floating rocks in the run-up to 2028.

The approach will be closest at around 7:30 p.m. ET and viewable in both the Northern and Southern Hemispheres with a visual brightness of the 11th magnitude, but will not be easily spotted according to Robert McMillan of the Space Watch Program in Tucson, Ariz.

"You will be able to see nothing with the naked eye or even a small telescope with an eyepiece. The object will approach Earth this time from the direction of the sun and departs our vicinity toward the bright moon," McMillan told Discovery News. "It will be dim and only visible with imaging detectors."

It was McMillan who originally discovered the dark, spherical asteroid on Dec. 28, 2005.

Originally thought to be another blasé rock to add to the thousands he had already discovered and the 900 near-Earth objects that the program as a whole had found, scientists now anxiously await the approach of the C-Type -- or carbon-bearing -- asteroid.

Thanks to its 20-hour rotation period, the Goldstone Observatory, based in California's Mojave Desert, may be able to capture 8-hour radar tracks from Nov. 3 through Nov. 11 in the hope of measuring rotation characteristics, surface roughness and mineral composition.

The Goldstone radar will also utilize a new method of transmitting radar signals to the target asteroid. Known as "chirp" mode, this advanced radar may allow for a shape model reconstruction that allows features as small as 4 meters wide to be resolved.

Many other observatories worldwide -- including the twin infrared Keck telescopes atop Mauna Kea, Hawaii -- will be tracking the large space rock.

Not thought to be a threat to Earth for at least the next few centuries, Asteroid 2005 YU55 may still be a threat for future generations.

"2005 YU55 cannot hit Earth at least over the interval that we can compute the motion reliably, which extends for several hundred years," said Lance Benner, NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory research scientist, in a recent NASA video.

"It made close approach to Earth about 18 months ago," added Benner. "In April of 2010, colleagues of ours at Arecibo Observatory were able to observe this asteroid using their radar facility at Arecibo and they were able to obtain radar images that showed that this object is about 400 meters across."

Luckily, with the advancement of radar and the knowledge scientists will gain as it makes its next pass, we will be given more than six years notice when it comes around again, gleaning possible insights as to how to avoid catastrophe later this millennium.

NASA Primer on YU55, with video.

We allz gonna die!!

Comment

We must find the fifth element.

Comment

no hit, no care

Comment

No Worries, Bruce Willis is on the case.

Comment

Originally posted by SMKR View Post
            no hit, no care
            I care more about finding out how to get your avatar to move.

Comment

Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
              Yippie ki-yay, multipass.
              Originally posted by Broncojohnny
              HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
                Exactly.

Comment

I was going to post about it, along with the first National Emergency Alert test in memory, but the test is Wednesday and I couldn't connect the two enough to ruffle the tin-hat crowd.

This "near miss" is much more significant than most will even consider. Though I wish we could have used it as a deflection test for something that may or may not happen in the future.

David

Comment

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
                    Yippie ki-yay, multipass.

Thrilled.

Comment

I'm a little let down that NASA did nothing to intercept and study this thing. I think we're missing an excellent opportunity to understand how effective we can be at intercepting and diverting potentially hazardous asteroids. That seems like a useful enterprise.

To me it is another indication that NASA is basically a useless money pit and private endeavors are where the truly useful research is happening.
                      When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                        I'm a little let down that NASA did nothing to intercept and study this thing. I think we're missing an excellent opportunity to understand how effective we can be at intercepting and diverting potentially hazardous asteroids. That seems like a useful enterprise.

To me it is another indication that NASA is basically a useless money pit and private endeavors are where the truly useful research is happening.
                        Agreed.

Though with the recent NASA funding pulled by the Obama admin, I'm sure they [NASA] are fighting over what projects to work. But agreed, this one should have been at the top of the list.

David

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                          On that note, NASA has now contracted private companies to ferry Astronuts to orbit.

NASA on Monday (Sept. 19) unveiled its plan to offer a $1.61 billion contract to commercial space firms capable of launching private space taxis into orbit.

NASA to Pay $1.6 Billion for Private Space Taxi Flights

NASA on Monday (Sept. 19) unveiled a billion-dollar plan to purchase flights of new private space taxis to fly American astronauts to and from Earth orbit now that the agency's shuttle fleet is retired.

The U.S. space agency will purchase commercial spaceflights for astronauts as part of its Integrated Design Contract, which will award $1.61 billion to companies that successfully develop a complete spaceflight package — one that includes rockets, spaceships, launch services, ground and mission control operations, and spacecraft recovery after landing.

Comment

:facepalm:
                            When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 46tbird View Post
                              ftfy.

Comment

Working...
                              X