Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woman thwarts craiglist crime ring

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs...164456345.html

A Colorado woman took matters into her own hands when her bike was stolen from outside of a Boulder sports bar. She tracked down her stolen bike on Craigslist, pretended to be an interested buyer and stole back her own bike.

Kathryn Lucas, 25, parked her bike outside of a bar where she went to watch a University of Colorado football game on the night of Oct. 4, according to ABC News’ Denver affiliate KMGH.

When she left the bar to head home, she discovered that her black Trek 1.2 road bike was missing. After filing a police report, she and her roommate began searching Craigslist to see if the thief was trying to sell the bike.

Sure enough, Lucas found a posting with a photo of her bike. She immediately recognized her bike’s red handle-bar tape and her water bottle holder.

Lucas responded to the Craigslist ad, pretending to be an interested buyer. Minutes later, a person using the name “Lance Robinson” responded with his phone number and instructed her to text him so he could send her his address.

On Sunday, Lucas went to the man’s apartment complex and asked if she could test ride the bike.

“I started riding it and knew it was my bike, so I just kept riding it,” Lucas told KMGH. “I rode it to my car and then threw it it in my car and then drove away.”

Lucas said she had not been planning on getting the bike back that way, but took advantage of an opportunity and made a spur-of-the-moment decision.

“They were a lot bigger than I thought they were,” Lucas said. “I thought it’d be like a little person that stole bikes and I’d be like, ‘Hey, I called the police and that’s my bike and you’re trying to sell it to me,’ but I just took it for a ride and went with it.”

After she had recovered her bike, Lucas called the police and gave them the thief’s address. “Lance Robinson” turned out to be 18-year-old Denzel O’Neal Crawford, who did not have a prior police record.

Crawford was arrested, confessed to stealing the bike and was released on bond. Police also told Lucas that, though her recovery mission was successful, it was not a tactic they recommend, according to KMGH.

“They told me for future reference that I probably would not want to do that by myself,” Lucas said.
    sigpic

how was the bike missing? If it was of any actual value, she should've fuckin secured the damn thing. I bet that didnt even happen. so, she deserved it.
    HD Parts
    paul@maverickhd.com

Comment

Originally posted by 89stangGT View Post
      how was the bike missing? If it was of any actual value, she should've fuckin secured the damn thing. I bet that didnt even happen. so, she deserved it.
      Good point, those bike locks are absolutely impenetrable. /s

Comment

Originally posted by jefehbk View Post
        “They told me for future reference that I probably would not want to do that by myself,” Lucas said.
        Yea, next time she should call them so they can spend a couple of days not calling her back about a bicycle theft.
        Originally posted by racrguy
        What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
        Originally posted by racrguy
        Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
          Yea, next time she should call them so they can spend a couple of days not calling her back about a bicycle theft.

No shit. Meanwhile, the bike has been sold so someone else. Props to her!

Comment

That's great she got her bike back but one guy steals one bike and its a theft ring or did I miss something? Lol at denzel...smf

Comment

Why is that you blame the victim?

Comment

Boulder is a hippie town full of peace, love and tranquility. Good vibes all around, maaaaaaaaan.

Comment

Comment

Interesting read.
                    Don't Mess With Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by TEAMJACOB View Post
                      That's great she got her bike back but one guy steals one bike and its a theft ring or did I miss something? Lol at denzel...smf
                      LMAO ! I was thinking the same thing ! And the dipshit crime lord doesn't even have a criminal record. If he was stupid enough to steal a bike, put it on Craigslist, only to have it STOLEN BACK by the original owner, he deserves whatever he gets in jail.

Fucking morons.

Comment

One person "crime ring"?

Comment

Originally posted by EW View Post
                          One person "crime ring"?
                          the so called "crime ring" was suppose to be a bit sarcastic since it was only one perp....was just trying to think of an interesting title. just thought it was a feel good story.
                          sigpic

Comment

the so called "crime ring" was suppose to be a bit sarcastic since it was only one perp....was just trying to think of an interesting title. just thought it was a feel good story.
                            either way, props for using the word thwart

god bless.
                            It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

ah...good story bro

Comment

Working...
                              X