No announcement yet.

Anyone had a sigmoidoscopy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The doctor said that they only put a lot less air in compared to a colonoscopy and procedure usually last 5-10 minutes. Called and asked the nurse she said majority of the flex sig's they do people walk in and walk out with no painkillers or anything associated with the procedure. Just makea me nervous...the finger was bad enough the other day from the HOT PA

Comment

Originally posted by CRASH View Post
      Zachary, I have had the sigmoidoscopy and the colonoscopy, several times due to my Crohn's disease.

I will tell you this, the very first one I ever had was the sigmoidoscopy at 16 years old, and I was wide awake because I didn't know any better. To this day, that was one of the more traumatic things I have gone through. It's humiliating, it doesn't feel good, and there is no reason whatsoever that you should have to go through that and for your doctor to want you to go through it awake, I'd tell him to fuck himself and find another doc to do the scope.

Can I ask why you're having the scope ?

If you want, you can pm me and I'll answer any questions you have.

-Aaron
      This! I too suffer from Crohns. First time was before they felt it was prudent to knock you out. I usually describe it to friends as your worst diarrhea cramp ever and multiply it by 100. I don't care if it only lasts 10 seconds. They will put me under beforehand.
      "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. "
      George Orwell

Comment

Get put under- the prep is the worst part

Comment

Don't do general anesthesia for a procedure like that, unless your just really anxious. It's over kill. It's an option they provide, but it's not the norm. They most likely will just give you a shot of Versed, Ativan, or Valium and you'll be fine. A lot of people fall asleep during. My stepdad did when he got his with twilight sleep option. It's not a procedure anyone looks forward to, but they usually prefer sedation/twilight sleep. It's up to to you. Just depends on how much time and money you want to spend. You won't like the Anesthesiologists bill. And it's an unnecessary risk for a minor outpatient procedure. That's just one of a couple reasons why they are trying to steer you away from general. My 2 cents....

I recently had surgery and only spent 36 hours in the hospital. It was $600 every time a nurse, Phlebotomist, or a respiratory tech walked into the room. The Anesthesiologists bill was ridiculous, and that was even with opting out of the spinal epidural.

Comment

Christ, Tim shut up.

Op-what clinic/clinician are you going to? What path lab do they send to? I work for a path lab and we have some of the best GI pathologists in the world. If you have a iffy dx or need a second opinion pm me and I can put you into contact with some of the best in for that type of disease on who to send it too.

Should be nothing crazy and pretty straightforward but if you have any pathology related questions feel free to pm and I can get an answer from my docs. Not dr. Google above with his anecdotal evidence. For the sedation, do what you feel is best. If you are that nervous, go out if you want but there are always risks to it.

Comment

I don't know which one it was I had, but I had one of them when under 10 for a problem I had.

I would never do it awake if I have the option of snoozing right through it. Granted, as a man you can "man up" but like CRASH stated - it was fairly traumatic. Enough so that I remember a lot of details about it. Hell, to include the irritated look on the Doctor/Nurse's faces - when they are the one F'ing with me.

Being older, you know they had to do their jobs - but I'd still choose sleep over it. Could you grin and deal with it? Sure - you probably could. However, I think I'd rather just take a nap unless there is a medium to good reason not to do so.
              Originally posted by MR EDD
              U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by Treadhead View Post
                This! I too suffer from Crohns. First time was before they felt it was prudent to knock you out. I usually describe it to friends as your worst diarrhea cramp ever and multiply it by 100. I don't care if it only lasts 10 seconds. They will put me under beforehand.
                Damn, how many of us Crohn's sufferers are on here? You make 4 so far. Me, crash, teamjacob and you. Personally, I told my doctor to shove it when they wanted me to take one. My dad had a colonoscopy, they just sedated him and he said that he didn't feel anything.

Comment

2016 Chevrolet SS 6M

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
                    Damn, how many of us Crohn's sufferers are on here? You make 4 so far. Me, crash, teamjacob and you. Personally, I told my doctor to shove it when they wanted me to take one. My dad had a colonoscopy, they just sedated him and he said that he didn't feel anything.
                    Yeah, there are a few of us on here. You really should have one done. The prep for it sucks but, it's good to know exactly what is going on in there.
                    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. "
                    George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Treadhead View Post
                      Yeah, there are a few of us on here. You really should have one done. The prep for it sucks but, it's good to know exactly what is going on in there.
                      Mine is contained to the small intestine and I have been in remission for the past 4 years. Not going to risk a potentially dangerous operation just because the "guidelines" say to.

Comment

Get knocked out. It's not bad coming out of it after. Got colon and endo at same time, don't remember a thing.
                        sigpic

Comment

I have ulcerative colitis and have had the test before. You do not want to be awake for this procedure. Although the prep is worse, you do not want to remember the "sensation" of the test.

Rob

Comment

Real men don't use anesthesia.
                            Originally posted by grove rat
                            shiiiiiit.. i love em thick

Comment

Why the hell would you NOT want to be knocked out?!? I had one a couple years ago and was out like a light!
                              Token Split Tail

Originally posted by slow99
                              Lmao...my favorite female poster strikes again.
                              Originally posted by Pokulski-Blatz
                              You are a moron .... you were fucking with the most powerful vagina on DFW(MU)stangs.

Comment

Working...
                              X