pops surprised me with a scotch tasting tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pops surprised me with a scotch tasting tonight

I guess he's been sneaking around and stocking up!

when he was visiting me in Alvin, he bought a couple, and I discovered that at 35, my palate had officially evolved to really enjoy and appreciate a good peaty Islay or Campbeltown

I was at the inlaws for a few hours, and I escaped and came over to my parents...

so I get to the house this evening and he opens up the bar and he's got Lagavulin 16, Laphroig 10, Ardbeg 10, Caol Ila 12, Longrow 7, and Longrow 14 (as well as some safe Highlands and Speyside, but tonight was all about peat!!!!)

My dad is NOT a big drinker, but he really loves these peaty scotches, and it's really cool to have something that we both enjoy doing and bs'ing about

Thoroughly enjoyed myself and only had the equivalent of maybe 2-3 "drinks" the entire night. The Longrow 14 was my favorite. Might treat myself to a bottle for xmas
    http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Cool man!
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Man its always good when you bond with your old man.
      Originally posted by talisman
      I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
      Originally posted by AdamLX
      If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
      Originally posted by Broncojohnny
      Because fuck you, that's why
      Originally posted by 80coupe
      nice dick, Idrivea4banger
      Originally posted by Rick Modena
      ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
      Originally posted by Jester
      Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Comment

Im still a puss apparantly cause ive tried the good stuff when over at my parents and I still cant take the taste. I guess when I get to your elder stage in life Coot, I then will enjoy the adult things in life.

Comment

Well thats something to look forward to when i become an old man.

Comment

35?!?!? Old focker!

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
              I guess he's been sneaking around and stocking up!

when he was visiting me in Alvin, he bought a couple, and I discovered that at 35, my palate had officially evolved to really enjoy and appreciate a good peaty Islay or Campbeltown

I was at the inlaws for a few hours, and I escaped and came over to my parents...

so I get to the house this evening and he opens up the bar and he's got Lagavulin 16, Laphroig 10, Ardbeg 10, Caol Ila 12, Longrow 7, and Longrow 14 (as well as some safe Highlands and Speyside, but tonight was all about peat!!!!)

My dad is NOT a big drinker, but he really loves these peaty scotches, and it's really cool to have something that we both enjoy doing and bs'ing about

Thoroughly enjoyed myself and only had the equivalent of maybe 2-3 "drinks" the entire night. The Longrow 14 was my favorite. Might treat myself to a bottle for xmas
              If you like "peaty" Laphroig is definitly a good one.
              Ded

Comment

I have tried the "peaty" Scotches. I can and do drink them. I prefer the more caramel tasting single malt scotches, like Oban. They leave a better after-taste that the peat filtered Scotches. Dalmore is another Caramel single malt.
                I was given a bottle of Laphroig once. When opened, the peat smell was overpowering.

Comment

Yeah, I never really liked/appreciated the peaty scotches, but now I love it!

that damn Longrow 14 is $130/750ml fml

Comment

I was at the liquor sto' earlier to grab some bourbon and gave the scotch wall a good stare down for the second time. I think I'm ready to get in to it. I just want to make the plunge with the right bottle and don't know what that is.

Comment

it's pretty daunting at first... if it wasn't for my father, I wouldn't be at this point for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrone Biggums View Post
                        I was at the liquor sto' earlier to grab some bourbon and gave the scotch wall a good stare down for the second time. I think I'm ready to get in to it. I just want to make the plunge with the right bottle and don't know what that is.
                        Balvenie 14yr Carribean cask is a great safe first scotch.
                        Originally posted by PGreenCobra
                        I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                        Originally posted by Trip McNeely
                        Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
                        dont downshift!!
                        Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrone Biggums View Post
                          Being an avid Bourbon drinker it has taken me a while to find Scotch that I can drink anytime. Personally, I don't like peaty Scotches.

I have one at the house that is a replica of Mackinlay's Old Rare 1907. It is fucking incredible!! After watching the documentary on it I have come to the conclusion that I will simply follow Richard Paterson for his reviews on Whisky before I try one. It seems our palates are very similar. He is a third generation Master Brewer for Whyte and Mackay distillery.

Here's just one video of how he describes what he's drinking.

Comment

^ I'm betting he's single because he'll never find a woman that he loves more than whisky.

Comment

Originally posted by Muffrazr View Post
                              Being an avid Bourbon drinker it has taken me a while to find Scotch that I can drink anytime. Personally, I don't like peaty Scotches.

I have one at the house that is a replica of Mackinlay's Old Rare 1907. It is fucking incredible!! After watching the documentary on it I have come to the conclusion that I will simply follow Richard Paterson for his reviews on Whisky before I try one. It seems our palates are very similar. He is a third generation Master Brewer for Whyte and Mackay distillery.

Here's just one video of how he describes what he's drinking.

I watched that too and it really got me interested in trying more scotches. So far everything I've had and liked was single malt (Oban, Glenmorangie, etc). I've always been a bourbon man myself and thought all scotch tasted like you fell face first into a campfire that somebody pissed on but maybe I'm getting old because I am starting to enjoy it more. Are 'peaty' scotches typically more smoky in taste than single malt?
                              Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
                              Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

Comment

Working...
                              X