School me on hotels!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by silvercobra03 View Post
    I use to work for two Hilton hotels, one Shearton and The Ritz downtown. If you use your debt card at any hotel these days be prepared to have them take out extra money to cover incidentals and or the full about of your entire stay up front. What you don't use they will put back, but that can take up to a week depending on your bank.

This.

Most hotels will still take cash but if using cash or debit they will charge you the equivalent to at least half of 1 nights stay there as an upfront deposit. If using cash, you will get this deposit back, minus incidentals, when you check out. If using a debit card for this deposit, it may take several days to credit this deposit back to you.

I've used the cash deposit recently at both a Fairmont & a Sheraton with the same results. Make a reservation with a debit or credit card, when you arrive to check in ask if you can pay with cash instead (or use the debit card), ask if there is a deposit, ask if you can pay the deposit with cash. Get a receipt!
    Present receipt at checkout and ask for your cash deposit back.

The Dallas Fairmont is an older hotel but still a nice place. Can be pricey but there are good deals to find there on low demand weekends. Walking distance to West End and other attractions....although, at 18, heck even now in my 40's, a weekend with the GF in a hotel might not have enough time for sight seeing.

Comment

Why not just explain to your folks that you want to have a little "staycation," and see if they will front the card for you?

It's not a bad idea to start building good credit anyway though, so get your own card, and treat it like cash. Don't spend if you don't have the cash in the bank, but start putting your usual stuff like gas and meals on it, and pay it off at the end of the month.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
        Why not just explain to your folks that you want to have a little "staycation," and see if they will front the card for you?

It's not a bad idea to start building good credit anyway though, so get your own card, and treat it like cash. Don't spend if you don't have the cash in the bank, but start putting your usual stuff like gas and meals on it, and pay it off at the end of the month.
        Unless this dude is living on his own, a credit card is a bad idea at his age.

Comment

lmfao at the TAGS...
          Originally posted by Silverback
          Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Take her camping, bring some booze, a tent, sleeping bags, etc.

Make a big fire at the campsite, make smores, have a good time, etc.

The hotel at 18 isn't easy, plus camping is more fun than a hotel room.

Are you saying she has never been to a hotel room? If so that is awesome for you, here is the opportunity to keep her expectations low. Take her to the motel sex.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post

I have to agree at building credit... It helps to start early as long as you won't abuse it.

Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
              Unless this dude is living on his own, a credit card is a bad idea at his age.
              I disagree with you there. I started at 18 and have better credit than people twice my age. Only thing that hurts me is my length in credit history.

Comment

Originally posted by JJs89lx View Post
                I disagree with you there. I started at 18 and have better credit than people twice my age. Only thing that hurts me is my length in credit history.
                Anyone getting their kid a credit card needs to be shot. Fuck debt.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
                  Who said anything about debt? I suggested that he use it like cash, in which case having a card will only help build credit (not debt), which will be necessary to get his own place in the near future, and a better interest rate should it be a house.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
                    Anyone giving their kid anything besides what they need to survive is an idiot. It's why everyone expects a hand out now because they feel they deserve it.

Comment

Originally posted by slow84lx View Post
                      This.

Most hotels will still take cash but if using cash or debit they will charge you the equivalent to at least half of 1 nights stay there as an upfront deposit. If using cash, you will get this deposit back, minus incidentals, when you check out. If using a debit card for this deposit, it may take several days to credit this deposit back to you.

I've used the cash deposit recently at both a Fairmont & a Sheraton with the same results. Make a reservation with a debit or credit card, when you arrive to check in ask if you can pay with cash instead (or use the debit card), ask if there is a deposit, ask if you can pay the deposit with cash. Get a receipt!
                      Present receipt at checkout and ask for your cash deposit back.

The Dallas Fairmont is an older hotel but still a nice place. Can be pricey but there are good deals to find there on low demand weekends. Walking distance to West End and other attractions....although, at 18, heck even now in my 40's, a weekend with the GF in a hotel might not have enough time for sight seeing.

He is right, you can always use cash! Just ask them how much is the deposit. I don't think anyone mentioned this yet... Why not just use Hotwire or Priceline? You will get a very good rate. For instance with Hotwire you just put in the zip code of the area you want to stay and pick how nice of a hotel you want to stay in. So what I would do is just pick a four star, which will end up being a Marriott, Shearton or Hilton in most cases. When I worked at the Hilton Lincoln Centre if you used Hotwire you usually paid $65.00 plus tax a night.
                      sigpic

www.metroplexkustoms.com

Comment

Originally posted by silvercobra03 View Post
                        He is right, you can always use cash! Just ask them how much is the deposit. I don't think anyone mentioned this yet... Why not just use Hotwire or Priceline? You will get a very good rate. For instance with Hotwire you just put in the zip code of the area you want to stay and pick how nice of a hotel you want to stay in. So what I would do is just pick a four star, which will end up being a Marriott, Shearton or Hilton in most cases. When I worked at the Hilton Lincoln Centre if you used Hotwire you usually paid $65.00 plus tax a night.

I'll check Hotwire.

The sheraton is the only nicer hotel that takes eighteen year olds.
                        2012 GT500

Comment

Hotwire is cool and is wayy cheaper than a straight up reservation. But two things:

You don't know the hotel name until after you book. Hotwire says " guest must be at least 18 years of age" but how can I be sure the hotel will take 18yo's

Even for a 5star hotel it still says must be 18. That can't be correct. I don't want to book it and get there just to be turned away...
                          2012 GT500

Comment

got a pic of her?

Comment

Originally posted by SMKR View Post
                              got a pic of her?

Comment

Originally posted by SMKR View Post
                                got a pic of her?
                                2012 GT500

Comment

Working...