Mayor: Occupy LA must leave City Hall camp Monday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayor: Occupy LA must leave City Hall camp Monday

Looks like the extremely liberal LA is even tired of these fucking clowns.

I wonder how many wanna-be protestors will get stupid and end up with their necks getting stepped on?

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa gave a lengthy tribute to Occupy LA protesters on Friday before telling them they must leave their encampment on the lawn of City Hall by 12:01 a.m. Monday, citing public health and safety concerns.

Villaraigosa, who has expressed sympathy for the protest's aims from its beginning seven weeks ago, announced the ouster at an afternoon news conference with police Chief Charlie Beck. He said the movement that has spread in two months from New York to numerous other U.S. cities has "awakened the country's conscience" — but also trampled grass at City Hall that must be restored.

"The movement is at a crossroads," the mayor said. "It is time for Occupy LA to move from holding a particular patch of park land to spreading the message of economic justice and signing more people up for the push to restore the balance to American society."

The camp of about 485 tents was unsustainable because public health and safety could not be maintained, and the park had to be cleared, cleaned and restored for the public's access, he said.

Outside City Hall, Occupy LA protester Opamago Casciani, 20, said he found the Mayor's priorities insulting, and he intends to continue demonstrating peacefully through the deadline.

In response to the Mayor's comments, Casciani said "What I got from it is 'I value grass more than the people.'"

Immediately after the mayor announced the deadline, protester Jeremy Rothe-Kushel who was in the audience among the reporters, interrupted him, shouting that the group would not obey the order.

"As a collective, Occupy Los Angeles would like to express their rejection of the city of Los Angeles's alleged proposal that we leave City Hall," said Jeremy Rothe-Kushel, who said he represented the general assembly of Occupy LA and interrupted both Villaraigosa and Beck throughout the news conference.

It was not clear how much of the camp Rothe-Kushel spoke for, but the group issued a statement Thursday expressing the same sentiment.

Villaraigosa told campers to start packing up their tents and said he believed the move would be peaceful, unlike some of the tumult other cities have seen.

"I'm proud of the fact that this has been a peaceful, non-violent protest," he said. "I trust that we can manage the closure of City Hall Park in the same spirit of cooperation."

The mayor said in hopes of keeping the peace, social workers will begin walking through the camp offering help to protesters, 50 shelter beds will be made available for campers who are homeless, and special parking will be set aside to facilitate the exit.

"50 beds? There are at least 300 of us," said Casciani. "I personally plan to stay and stand my ground."

Villaraigosa added that City Hall's Spring Street steps — a traditional protest site — will remain open during the park restoration so Occupy LA or any other group can exercise free speech rights.

Protester Stephanie Lopez, 18, was sitting on those steps Friday evening after the announcement. Surveying the tent city below her and looking back on the 400-square-foot mezzanine where protesters would have to stand, she shook her head and said "that's ridiculous."

Lopez has been living at City Hall Park since Oct. 2, when there were only a handful of tents, and plans to stay through the deadline.

"It's a complete offense to us — this grass isn't even good for the environment," said Lopez.

If the movement has to move, Lopez hopes occupiers will take over an abandoned building somewhere downtown.

Beck said police will be patient with laggards who were still packing belongings and working to leave at the time of the deadline — but said the city's law enforcement will no longer look the other way.

"After 56 days of not enforcing three city laws that prohibit the use of that park, the time is now," said Beck.
    Stevo
    Originally posted by SSMAN
    ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

This thing is gearing up for a violent ending.

Comment

Villaraigosa, who has expressed sympathy...
      "I am sorry you cannot hold or have the skills to get a job. Duly noted. Now get the fuck out..."

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
        I don't see them getting violent enough to make a difference. IF they get violent, it will only cement them as being pussies with no gumption and further solidify the fact that the workforce does not want them.

These folks just don't have the drive to die for what they believe in.

Comment

This should get interesting...
          "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

This is still going on? Figured all these people had moved their camps to be first in line at the black friday sales

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
              Hopefully in a Kent State sort of way. Remove some of these cretins from the gene pool.
              How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Meh, they are dropping like flies. Time to move on to the next news cycle.

Comment

Tick tock...
                  Occupy Los Angeles Deadline Comes, Many Say They Won't Go

LOS ANGELES – With the clock winding down on a midnight deadline to abandon their weeks-old Occupy Los Angeles protest, hundreds of demonstrators weren't going anywhere Sunday, as they made plans instead to hold an "eviction block party."

Although city officials have told protesters they must leave and take their nearly 500 tents with them by 12:01 a.m. Monday, just a handful were seen packing up Sunday.

Instead, some passed out fliers containing the city seal and the words: "By order of Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, this notice terminates your tenancy and requires you to attend the Occupy L.A. Eviction Block Party," which the fliers' said was scheduled for 12:01 a.m.

Others attended teach-ins on resistance tactics, including how to stay safe should police begin firing rubber bullets or breaking out tear gas canisters and pepper spray.

"Their plan is to resist the closure of this encampment and if that means getting arrested so be it," said Will Picard, one of the protesters. "I think they just want to make the police tear it down rather than tear it down themselves."

Police, for their part, have said little about what tactic they would take if protesters ignore the deadline.

Chief Charlie Beck told reporters Friday that officers would definitely not be sweeping through the camp and arresting everyone the minute the clock ticks past midnight.

But in an interview with the Los Angeles Times that was published Sunday, Beck indicated he expects that arrests will become inevitable at some point.

"I have no illusions that everybody is going to leave," Beck said. "We anticipate that we will have to make arrests."

When it comes to that, he said, police officers "will not be the first ones to apply force."

Meanwhile, local clergy and labor leaders implored both sides to ensure that the 2-month-old demonstration remain peaceful.

"We are grateful to the Occupy movement for refocusing the country to the issue of income inequality," Maria Elena Durazo, executive secretary and treasurer of the Los Angeles County Federation of Labor, said in a statement issued Sunday.

"We call for nonviolence in all acts of civil disobedience by Occupy LA and in professional procedures by the LAPD. We are committed to a long-term movement from the 99 percent to hold Wall Street and the banks accountable for devastating our economy," Durazo added.

Villaraigosa has expressed admiration that, at least so far, the Occupy Los Angeles movement has remained peaceful, unlike those in some other cities around the country.

But while the mayor, a former labor organizer himself, has said he sympathizes with the movement, he added it's time to close the encampment of some 500 tents that dot the lawn in front of City Hall for the sake of public health and safety.

The 2-month-old movement is also at a crossroads, Villaraigosa said, and must "move from holding a particular patch of park to spreading the message of economic justice."

Although most protesters showed no signs of moving Monday, a few did seem to support the mayor's sentiments.

"I'm going," said Luke Hagerman, who sat looking sad and resigned in the tent he's lived in for a month. "I wish we could have got more done."
                  Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/11/27...#ixzz1exfi6Ao9

Comment

"I plan on standing my ground." First of all it's not your ground. Secondly I do value grass more than "you people." At least the grass has a purpose and does it's job.
                    "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Originally posted by jdgregory84 View Post
                      "I plan on standing my ground." First of all it's not your ground. Secondly I do value grass more than "you people." At least the grass has a purpose and does it's job.
                      Well, it isn't your ground either.

Comment

If its ground that is privately owned, then a nice shotgun blast beanbag or rubber bullet would help to educate those pathetic jobless losers.

Comment

Looks like L.A. is spineless.
                          Occupy Los Angeles Deadline Comes But Protesters Stay

LOS ANGELES – Wall Street protesters in Los Angeles defied the mayor's early Monday deadline to vacate their encampment near City Hall, with about 1,000 demonstrators flooding into the area as the village of hundreds of tents remained standing as it has for nearly two months.

A celebratory atmosphere filled the night outside City Hall and the encampment near it: a group of protesters on bicycles circled the block, one of them in a cow suit, while organizers led chants with a bull horn.

"The best way to keep a non-violent movement non-violent is to throw a party, and keep it festive and atmospheric," said Brian Masterson.

Shortly after the 12:01 a.m. PST Monday deadline, there was only a small police presence, about two dozen motorcycle officers who remained across the street from the camp.

"Their plan is to resist the closure of this encampment and if that means getting arrested so be it," said Will Picard, one of the protesters. "I think they just want to make the police tear it down rather than tear it down themselves."

Chief Charlie Beck told reporters Friday that officers would definitely not be sweeping through the camp and arresting everyone the minute the clock ticks past midnight.

But in an interview with the Los Angeles Times that was published Sunday, Beck indicated he expects that arrests will become inevitable at some point.

"I have no illusions that everybody is going to leave," Beck said. "We anticipate that we will have to make arrests."

When it comes to that, he said, police officers "will not be the first ones to apply force."

Meanwhile, local clergy and labor leaders implored both sides to ensure that the 2-month-old demonstration remain peaceful.

"We are grateful to the Occupy movement for refocusing the country to the issue of income inequality," Maria Elena Durazo, executive secretary and treasurer of the Los Angeles County Federation of Labor, said in a statement issued Sunday.

"We call for nonviolence in all acts of civil disobedience by Occupy LA and in professional procedures by the LAPD. We are committed to a long-term movement from the 99 percent to hold Wall Street and the banks accountable for devastating our economy," Durazo added.

Villaraigosa has expressed admiration that, at least so far, the Occupy Los Angeles movement has remained peaceful, unlike those in some other cities around the country.

But while the mayor, a former labor organizer himself, has said he sympathizes with the movement, he added it's time to close the encampment of some 500 tents that dot the lawn in front of City Hall for the sake of public health and safety.

The 2-month-old movement is also at a crossroads, Villaraigosa said, and must "move from holding a particular patch of park to spreading the message of economic justice."

Although most protesters showed no signs of moving Monday, a few did seem to support the mayor's sentiments.

"I'm going," said Luke Hagerman, who sat looking sad and resigned in the tent he's lived in for a month. "I wish we could have got more done."
                          Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/11/27...#ixzz1f0eRVot3

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                            Well, it isn't your ground either.
                            No, man, I'm just sayin', if you own beachfront property, right, do you own, like, the sand and the water?

Comment

Originally posted by TeeShock View Post
                              No, man, I'm just sayin', if you own beachfront property, right, do you own, like, the sand and the water?
                              Nobody owns the water. God owns.....it's god's water!

Comment

Working...
                              X