Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you self employed? What are you doing for insurance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you self employed? What are you doing for insurance?

I'm 38, wife is 30, kids are 4 & 2.

I've had Humana health insurance, for myself & the family, since before there was a family, and it was just the wife & I.

The premiums go up each year, due to my age, I'm told. I'm a non-smoker, no history of disease in the family, not terribly overweight or out of shape (6' 1", 210 lbs). White male.

My premium is $385, and it's going up to $420. We have a $5000 deductible, 70% in network.

We're all healthy... looking for some suggestions or any feedback for what others in my position have done.
    Ronald Reagan:"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Homer: "Bart...there's 2 things I know about women. Never give them nicknames like "jumbo" or "boxcar" and always keep receipts...it makes you look like a business man."

We pay through the nose for BCBS for my wife, 11 month old and myself. Being self employed sucks when it comes to health insurance. I would kill for $420 a month, that's really good
    2012 SRT8 Challenger 392 Hemi-6 speed
    Bright Silver Metallic w/ Black Stripes
    Leg Maker Inc. 4"Carbon Fiber CAI
    Speedlogix Catch Can
    Resonator Delete

Comment

Good topic, hope it takes off. I'm currently sans health insurance, and am pretty sure at least one of our money guys goes without on purpose.

This is something I've been pondering of late and, in that it is so much of a gamble when you're dealing with the premiums and the deductibles, vs the odds of what you are bound to encounter... For instance, with a deductible as high as you are carrying and considering the MRI I currently need, it would actually cost more than just paying cash price carrying no insurance...
      www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

I have always said... one spouse needs to work for a company that provides benefits. The other can be self-employed or not work.
        www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

my wife drives a school bus for the insurance, plus shes bored staying at home with the kids now grown

Comment

My wife is a stay at home mom for now, plus handling the A/R for my business. I would love for her to work somewhere for the benefits, but that's nowhere in sight.
            Ronald Reagan:"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Homer: "Bart...there's 2 things I know about women. Never give them nicknames like "jumbo" or "boxcar" and always keep receipts...it makes you look like a business man."

Comment

Tricare Prime, about 30 bucks every quarter. 3 dollars out of pocket for prescriptions, 12 dollars for doctor's visits that gets reimbursed at the end of the month.
              I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

I'm learning to speak spanish, that way I can claim to be illegal if I need a trip to the hospital.

Comment

Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
                  I'm learning to speak spanish, that way I can claim to be illegal if I need a trip to the hospital.
                  your"re'e smrt

Comment

Originally posted by barronj View Post
                    My wife is a stay at home mom for now, plus handling the A/R for my business. I would love for her to work somewhere for the benefits, but that's nowhere in sight.
                    goodthing with the school bus is its from 7 to 830am then from 300 to 530, with my health this past 3 years, our insurance from bcbs became unafforadable

Comment

Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
                      New plan for all future transactions. No speak'a da English
                      I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

they still get a bill, wether they pay or not is up to them, but i know of alot of "legal" white people that do the exact same thing

Comment

Originally posted by zemog View Post
                          they still get a bill, wether they pay or not is up to them, but i know of alot of "legal" white people that do the exact same thing
                          this, my ex is sitting on close to 80k in medical bills. good thing we didn't get married or they would be my bills.

Comment

Originally posted by roliath View Post
                            this, my ex is sitting on close to 80k in medical bills. good thing we didn't get married or they would be my bills.
                            Negative ghost rider, you're not responsible for spousal medical debt. That doesn't mean they won't try to collect though.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                              Negative ghost rider, you're not responsible for spousal medical debt. That doesn't mean they won't try to collect though.
                              well I meant, like we'd be together and i'd help pay "her" bills ya know?

Comment

Working...
                              X