Transferring title woes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transferring title woes.

I'm fairly certain that the tax office doesn't ask for the sale price of a vehicle anymore, but rather tax you on some sort of blue book value.

Is that state wide, or maybe city/county wide?
    Is it by chance arguable?

I need to transfer the title on my '06 Duramax, and I know it's going to kill me.

I got rear-ended on Sunday (nov 27) and just got the check today (3 days later), so I have a small amount of cash to put towards the transfer.
    Anyone want to guess what the taxes will be?

2006 3/4 ton, 4x4 Crew Cab Duramax.
    DE OPPRESSO LIBER

All Texans who buy a used vehicle from anyone other than a licensed vehicle dealer are required to pay motor vehicle sales tax (6.25 percent) on either its purchase price or its standard presumptive value (SPV), whichever is the highest value.

The calculator is in the link.

Comment

its highest value just went thru this bought a wrecked car taxable value was 26.5k bought only for 11.6k had a bill of sale cash receipt and pictures showing damage with clean title still they tried to tax me the 26.5k

Had to get a form take it to a big dealer that a buddy works for had them appraise it for 11.8k just to get taxes dropped to that amount.

Comment

Make sure you put that you paied less than 80% of the presumed value. What I think they do is charge tax at .8*PV or what you paid. Whatever is higher.
        www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

If you didn't buy it from a dealer it is either presumed value or you take it to a dealer to get appraised. Unless the vehicle is over 25 years old than it's whatever you tell them. State wide deal.

Comment

if you transfer a title between family then no tax will be charged
            Last edited by black50; 11-30-2011, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by black50 View Post
              No as easy anymore... you actually have to prove they are family now.
              www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Its a scam.

Comment

Like they said, if you have an appraisal or something official showing the current value, you can avoid paying tax on the KBB value.

Comment

Originally posted by mustangguy289 View Post
                    No as easy anymore... you actually have to prove they are family now.
                    Sadly, true story...

Comment

If the vehicle has a "Salvage Title" that presumed value thing does not apply, but the tax office worker will try to collect the tax based on the presumed value. You have to call their hand on it. Remember, they are looking for revenue.

Comment

Whatever you do make sure you do your homework, because the tax office people are some the dumbest around. They tried to make me pay taxes on 30k for a car I bought at a dealer out of state for 26k because they were too stupid to understand how the contract/bill of sale read. (the numbers were in different places than the Texas form and it literally blew their mind lol)

Comment

Originally posted by black50 View Post
                          What about transferring the title that I hold into my own living trust?
                          "A bad day hunting beats a good day at work"

Golden Oaks Lodge
                          East Texas Axis and Fallow hunts
                          https://www.facebook.com/GoldenOaksLodge/

Comment

Working...
                          X