Whiskey aficionados

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
    i hope the "stones" chip all of you uppity mofos front teeth!

god bless.
    Shouldn't you be shoveling moon mud out of your front yard, or something?

David
    Last edited by cobrajet69; 12-11-2012, 04:47 PM.

Comment

• Great story on a 50yo Balvenie (group buy anyone?).

Can't copy/paste for some reason.

David

Comment

• story:
        Two important events took place at the Scottish firm William Grant & Sons in 1962. David Stewart was hired as an apprentice, and cask #5576 was filled with newly distilled whisky from The Balvenie Distillery. Although Scotland and its namesake spirit have a long and glorious history, the country hadn’t even begun exporting single malt Scotch at the time. Stewart rose through the ranks and became a Malt Master for the company (which owns distilleries including The Balvenie and Glenfiddich), nosing more than 400,000 casks of whisky through the years, while that single barrel matured. Many of Stewart’s techniques working with single malt whisky, such as aging the spirit in two different types of barrels, became industry standards, and he earned numerous accolades while that oh-so-special European oak sherry hogshead continued to age, mellow and evaporate.

Fifty years later, Stewart has become a consultant to the company, and that cask was finally bottled. We were lucky enough to attend an event at Mastro’s Steakhouse in Beverly Hills honoring Stewart’s fifty years of contributions to the Scotch whisky industry as well as taste the whisky that was five decades in the making.

Before tasting the aptly named The Balvenie Fifty, we savored The Balvenie 12-year-old DoubleWood and 17-year-old DoubleWood. We found the former, which spent twelve years in a used American oak bourbon barrel before mellowing for a few months in a European oak sherry barrel, to be playful and honeyed, with hints of vanilla from its first home and cinnamon spice from its second. The 17-year had a deeper color, with more wood on the nose and more honey on the palate.

We were impressed with the special packaging of The Balvenie Aged 50 Years which included layers of seven different Scottish woods to make the box, but the contents were the star of the show. On the nose, lemons and other citrus fruits showed along with the aromas of its younger siblings. We hesitated before bringing the half-ounce pour to our lips; with bottles retailing in the $32,000 range, this was not a shot to be downed thoughtlessly. We found it to be ultra-complex with the oak of the barrel balanced well against the honey sweetness.

Only 88 bottles of The Balvenie Fifty are available for sale, with ten in the U.S. You can try it at Mastro’s, or at The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas where a shot will set you back $3,400. About 400 bottles of whisky filled the original cask, but most of it evaporated over the last fifty years as the liquid and barrel interacted. This lost portion is known as the “angel’s share.” Dame Barbara Hay, the British Consul-General currently based in Los Angeles, may have put it best as she honored David Stewart and The Balvenie Fifty: “I thought about the angels; they must be really happy!”

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/...#ixzz2ErN3LacE

Comment

• So do any of you enjoy rye? I have just recently turned over to liquor instead beer. It's tastier and settles well with me. I unfortunately can't buy some of this high Rollin stuff y'all got! I love Canadian whiskey along with rye and bourbon. Not a fan of scotch though. Suggestions?
          As far as rye, my local store in Roanoke has an Iowa rye that I only found in Iowa. It's called Templeton Rye Whiskey. Apparently al capone's favorite.

Comment

• Originally posted by SVT Lurch View Post
            I had some Oban 14 at Perry's for their Friday Pork Chop special because I've sen you post about it several times...good recommendation.
            Centennial knocked 25% off each...

Originally posted by PGreenCobra
            I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
            Originally posted by Trip McNeely
            Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
            dont downshift!!
            Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by DON SVO View Post

they carry both of these at the costco by me.....good stuff for the novice whiskey drinker?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pro88LX View Post
                they carry both of these at the costco by me.....good stuff for the novice whiskey drinker?
                I've said it a bunch before, those are my staples. Smooth single malts, very discernible flavor profiles, go GREAT with a good cigar
                I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                dont downshift!!

Comment

doesn't get much better, especially for the price.

Comment

• one of these days I'd like to do a true scotch tasting to find my favorite

Comment

• Originally posted by CWO View Post
                      one of these days I'd like to do a true scotch tasting to find my favorite
                      Want to go to the whiskeyfest next year? Strychnine and I were considering it but I had some stuff come up.
                      dont downshift!!

Comment

Want to go to the whiskeyfest next year? Strychnine and I were considering it but I had some stuff come up.
                        want to? fuck yes
                        can I? not so much

Comment

I've said it a bunch before, those are my staples. Smooth single malts, very discernible flavor profiles, go GREAT with a good cigar
                          Originally posted by CWO View Post
                          doesn't get much better, especially for the price.
                          ill have to pick some up then.

Comment

Maybe not. Everyone isn't the same but I would suggest starting with a good sipping whiskey/bourbon then moving to single malt. You could even move to blended scotch (Balentines, Johnny Walker, Dewars..) then on to single malt.

David

Comment

• Don, did it end up being the 15yr for the 12yr price?

49.99 instead of 68.99?

I looked when I was there, but wasn't sure how much they were taking off of the shelf marked 68.99 price

Comment

I know where I'm headed on the way home...thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X