Whiskey aficionados

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by clevelandkid View Post
    Well, good - now I have a reason to polish of the blantons.

You're 8 minutes late. Going to have to wait until next year.

Comment

• I honored the occasion with a glass of single barrel knob creek in a glass from a Texas distillery with a decent cigar

Comment

• Originally posted by talisman View Post
        You're 8 minutes late. Going to have to wait until next year.
        Oops.

Comment

• What's everybody drinking for fathers day?
          I got this

Comment

• Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
            total wine @ park ln. and 75. 24.99 for 750ml. says on the label proceeds help support the native texas wildlife conservation. pretty cool

Picked some of this up today to give it a shot, it by far is a touch oaky in taste but not bad at all. Mine has the Wild Drake on the bottle which is a pretty neat design.

"It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

• 22 Excellent Reasons To Drink More Whiskey

As if you needed any.

1. Whiskey is low-carb and fat-free, so your thighs will thank you.
              One shot has zero fat and .04 carbs, guys…so you can wear your skinny jeans and drink a highball too.

2. The word whiskey means “water of life.”
              Whiskey comes from the Gaelic word “Uisge Beatha,” which means “water of life.” That phonetically became “usky,” and eventually was pronounced as “whiskey.” Drink that water, friends!

3. In frontier country, whiskey was as valuable as gold.
              In 18th century Pennsylvania, the favored currency was whiskey — which was used for cooking, medicine, and drinking, among other things. That whiskey loyalty would eventually lead to the 1794 Whiskey Rebellion, where farmers fought against the taxes that threatened their liquor livelihood. That’s a fight worth fighting, if you ask me.

4. Whiskey can help prevent cancer.
              In 2005, Dr. Jim Swan, speaking at the EuroMedLab conference in Glasgow, said, “Research has shown that there are even greater health benefits to people who drink single-malt whiskies. Why? Single-malt whiskies have more ellagic acid than red wine.”
              That ellagic acid, also found in most fruits, is an antioxidant that may absorb rogue cancer cells in the body. More research needs to be made to make this conclusive, but let’s drink up and hope Dr. Swan is correct.

5. Drinking whiskey can lower your risk of having a stroke.
              To be clear, drinking large amounts of alcohol is related to a higher incidence of stroke. However, if you can master the art of moderate consumption — meaning one drink a day — that may provide protection against an ischemic stroke. In fact, having one drink per day is better than no drinks per day when it comes to protecting against ischemic stroke.

6. It also may reduce your risk of developing heart disease.
              A 1998 study found that a big shot of whiskey can help protect against heart disease, and boost the body’s defenses against disease by raising the body’s level of antioxidants.

7. Drinking one to six glasses of whiskey a week can lower an adult’s risk of dementia.
              A 2003 case study with the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center found that the odds of incident dementia were lower among those adults who consumed moderate alcohol, rather than none at all!

9. Winston Churchill drank whiskey and water for breakfast…and lead a nation through World War II.
              The whiskey soda washed down his eggs and cigar, naturally.

10. And Jack Donaghy uses it to help him rule over Kabletown.

11. Oh, and did I mention that Mark Twain was a big fan?

12. A closed bottle of whiskey will be good for 100 years.
              And after you open a bottle of whiskey, a half-full bottle will remain good for five years.

13. Drinking whiskey is the American thing to do; Tennessee and Kentucky are two of the world’s primary whiskey-distilling regions.
              Bourbons like Maker’s Mark and Wild Turkey are made in Kentucky, while Tennessee is home to Jack Daniel’s.

14. There are over 5,000 types of single-malt whiskey, and they’re not going to try themselves.
              We all have a lot of drinking to do.

15. Whiskey might be the smartest investment you’ll ever make. Probably.
              Unlike wine, whose taste deteriorates in the bottle, the fact that whiskey lasts almost forever means its value can appreciate in a big way. So, instead of that 401k plan, just buy a couple of rare bottles and watch their value soar! (It’s a whole lot more fun that way too.)

16. George Washington, the father of America, also founded one of the country’s largest whiskey distilleries.
              So whiskey-drinking is basically in the Constitution.

After his term as the first president of the United States ended in 1797, Washington’s Scottish farm manager encouraged him to build a whiskey distillery. It was the largest of its kind in America, producing 11,000 gallons of whiskey in 1799.

17. Whiskey was originally crafted only by monks, making it a holy spirit.
              (LOL, SPIRIT, get it?) That practice changed in 1541, when King Henry VIII dissolved all of their liquor-ridden monasteries. Poor sober monks.

18. Cold is no match for whiskey; even below-freezing temperatures won’t freeze it.
              Nothing proved that more than when a crate of 100-year-old whiskey was unearthed in Antarctica. And even though it suffered through the -30 Celsius temperatures, the bottles and liquor were all in great condition.

19. Whiskey is measured in “fingers” — your body is the only pouring tool you need!
              To measure out whiskey, all you have to do is hold your finger horizontally against the glass and pour out a finger’s width. Or two, if you’re feeling frisky.

20. Did I mention that whiskey looks GREAT on bars?

21. Especially if it’s served with a bacon garnish.

22. But let’s be honest: The very best reason to drink whiskey is because it’s delicious.
              Simply put. If you’re still looking for your perfect go-to bottle, scope out our eight favorite (cheap) whiskeys over here.

Comment

• So... All this time I was holding my finger THE WRONG WAY??
                No wonder I could never get past a 1 finger shot!

Great read Matt.

David

Comment

• Comment

• Willett Kentucky Straight
                    Anyone try it before? Just picked this bottle up at Specs today. So far it's ok, little mild on the initial taste and kind of quick drop off but it's a good flavor and its growing on me.

David

Comment

• I love this thread
                      03 cobra

Comment

• Gentlemen, I may have found a solution to chilling your whiskey without watering it down, or using the stones that don't seem to work so great:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Sphere-Ice-Ball-Maker-Macallans/dp/B00CBM3A8Y/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2N00B1I23A00E[/ame]

Maybe there is a god. I will be getting one of these.

Comment

• Are ice cubes watering down your drink and driving you mad? Yes they are..

So you've just got home from a hard days work and you want to take it easy. You pour yourself a glass of whiskey, chuck a few ice cubes in your glass and your ready to relax, only to realize 20 minutes later the ice cubes have started to melt and they've watered down your drink.

What should I do you ask? Here's the answer...

- Arctic Chill's ice ball molds make perfect slow melting 2.5" ice spheres which take a total of 3 hours to completely melt!
                          who the fuck takes 20min to drink a glass of whiskey?!

I like my scotch with a little water. I find that one small ice cube is the perfect amount of cooling the drink and a little water to unlock the flavor

I like my bourbon on the rocks and don't care to let it melt long enough to degrade the flavor.

tried the soapstone "rocks" and didn't really see the draw... they don't really cool the drink that well and I'm still looking for a little water in my scotch.

enjoy yoself
                          http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

• Originally posted by Cooter View Post
                            who the fuck takes 20min to drink a glass of whiskey?!

Depends on how big the pour is.

Comment

• Thanks Talisman, just ordered some

Comment

• I have a set of the Tovolo [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Tovolo-Sphere-Ice-Molds-Set/dp/B007ACTN54/ref=pd_bxgy_k_img_y[/ame] ice molds and they seem to work pretty good. They do take a while to freeze through; so it's best to make sure they are in the freezer before you head out for work in the AM on the chance you'll need them after work.

Comment

Working...
                                X