cheap remote start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cheap remote start?

Who makes a cheap remote start that uses the factory fob?
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
    Who makes a cheap remote start that uses the factory fob?
    pm ew

Comment

Wrong forum
      *While this may be the cheapest way to do this, I am not a fan.*
      Everybody makes them but...the simplest models work by pressing lock three times on the factory remote so the range that you can start the vehicle is limited to the range of the factory remote which sucks on most factory systems AND some factory systems will not unlock the doors once the vehicle is running which means you have to use your key to open the door once you are remote started. You can test this by starting the car with the key, closing the door, and pressing unlock on the remote. If the door unlocks, no problem. If not, then you need a unit that can also at least unlock the door or use your key to open the door when you remote start.
      Basic system installed $265 installed +override module if needed. If your car has a coded key then you will need an override that will cost $60-100 depending upon vehicle and module used.
      There are lots of variables.
      Last edited by EW; 12-21-2011, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by EW View Post
        Wrong forum
        Everybody but...the simplest models work by pressing lock three times on the factory remote so the range that you can start the vehicle is limited to the range of the factory remote which sucks on most factory systems AND some factory systems will not unlock the doors once the vehicle is running which means you have to use your key to open the door once you are remote started. You can test this by starting the car with the key, closing the door, and pressing unlock on the remote. If the door unlocks, no problem. If not, then you need a unit that can also at least unlock the door or use your key to open the door when you remote start.
        Basic system installed $265 installed +override module if needed. If your car has a coded key then you will need an override that will cost $60-100 depending upon vehicle and module used.
        There are lots of variables.
        I assume a 2005 sable has a coded key? What's the cost of the unit, minus the install?
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

My girl is looking for a system like this for her '10 Accord. Any more info you can provide on the name of the system?

Thanks.

Comment

PMs sent

Comment

I'm going through the same thing with my wifes '08 Infinity FX35 with the "intelligent" key

EW if you have any info I could use a PM too
              1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

09 f150 was wanting a remote start with factory key fob... figured it would be a pain why i havent researched a price yet

Comment

Price for 01 explorer with a transponder key also please?

Comment

I did car stereo and alarm installs for more than 15 years, and the shop I worked for used Carbine brand add on remote start units. I hated installing them, about 90% of the people complained about the range issue. I would go aftermarket, better range and with the paging remotes let you know when it is running and if it is broken into.

Comment

Originally posted by rainman64 View Post
                      about 90% of the people complained about the range issue. I would go aftermarket, better range and with the paging remotes let you know when it is running and if it is broken into.
                      x2

Comment

While we are on this subject what is the consensus of the alarm/remote start that can be used with your smart phone?
                        07 f250-family truckster
                        08 Denali -baby hauler
                        52 f1-rust bucket
                        05 Jeep tj. Buggy
                        livin the double-wide dream

Comment

Why pay couple hundred bucks to do it the lame ass way? Spend a couple hundred more and get a full aftermarket alarm with better range, features, and protection.

Comment

Originally posted by whitetrash View Post
                            While we are on this subject what is the consensus of the alarm/remote start that can be used with your smart phone?
                            I just installed a Avital one button remote start on my wifes car, being a Neon, i didnt want to get one with alarm just remote start. I found mine on amazon and it was $50 but what sucks is if you don't have access to wiring diagrams and dont know how to read them you have to hunt one down on the internet because Avital won't give support to the DIYer. Lucky I have a friend that has access to Avital car specific wiring diagrams and it took me an hour to install. As for the smart phone alarm/remote start you have to buy a special module(starting at $150) on top of the original alarm/remote start unit and pay a subscription fee($50 a year or $100 for 3 years) so it wasn't worth it to me.The reviews were good about them, they recently started a car 10,000 miles away and the only problems people were having was they had to reboot the app occasionally

Comment

Originally posted by kdventura73 View Post
                              they recently started a car 10,000 miles away
                              Super. I was doing that in the mid 1990s with Cliffords Virtual Link.
                              Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                              Would you like your reparations in 5.56mm or 7.62mm?

Comment

Working...
                              X