Facepalm......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facepalm......

Even though there has been an effort to clean up the police image, it amazes me that this stuff still happens.

Off-duty Fort Worth police officer accused of DUI

An off-duty Fort Worth police officer might lose his badge stemming from accusations of DUI and providing a felon with a firearm, police said Monday.
    Fort Worth Police Officer Daniel B. Gonzales was seen at about 4 a.m. Monday morning in his car with another man, Bobby Joe Newton, police said.
    The men were driving in the area of Northern Cross Boulevard and Mercantile when Gonzalez shot a non-departmental issued handgun into the air striking a street lamp. Newton fired several shots from the same handgun striking a street sign.

An off-duty constable observed the men and followed them to a business at North Beach Street and Northeast Loop 820.
    The constable contacted 911 and reported the incident.
    Fort Worth police owho went to the business and encountered Gonzalez and Newton said they both appeared intoxicated. They were subsequently arrested.

Gonzalez faces two criminal charges, including DUI and providing a firearm to a felon. Newton also faces two criminal charges, including possession of a firearm by a felon and discharging a firearm within city limits.
    Other charges related to the damaged property may be forthcoming, police said.

Chief of Police Jeff Halstead said in a prepared statement that such behavior will not be tolerated." We have made great strides in addressing this national trend of alcohol use and abuse by law enforcement officers and have seen significant positive results in our own police department. Unfortunately, it only takes one negative incident to undermine our accomplishments and successes. "But, we will not stray from the course," Halstead continued. "We will continue our efforts to address this tough issue through training, education, and employee assistance programs. I will also continue to take decisive disciplinary action when the public's trust and safety are jeopardized."

Gonzalez was hired on Jan. 28, 2002, and is assigned to the Central Patrol Division.

He has been placed on restricted duty. His gun and badge have been confiscated and he is not authorized to act in any capacity as a peace officer pending the outcome of a criminal and administrative investigation.
    He cannot be disciplined until an investigation is conducted, according Texas Local Government Code Ch. 143.

Idiot. Any of you guys know him?

Comment

Back when my dad was still a cop they would have just laughed at how fucked up the officer had gotten the next time he went on duty and jokes about arming the other team would have been endless.

I still don't understand why the PD has to make a spectacle of themselves when something like this happens. Why don't they just handle it quietly?
      Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svo855 View Post
        Back when my dad was still a cop they would have just laughed at how fucked up the officer had gotten the next time he went on duty and jokes about arming the other team would have been endless.

I still don't understand why the PD has to make a spectacle of themselves when something like this happens. Why don't they just handle it quietly?
        Need someone to make an example of? Probably better to bring it out rather than letting a reporter dig it up and make a huge deal about a "cover up"

Bet he was running without a front plate and didn't have his insurance card with him either

Comment

^PDF copy of said insurance card in smart phone

Comment

We don't know the whole story.

Comment

Originally posted by svo855 View Post

These days are over. To earn the public's trust, you must police yourself like you do the public.

Cops are people too, and they screw up. It isn't fair for them to get special treatment.

Like an old boss of mine said "don't sugar coat it, it is what it is."

Comment

Originally posted by 95DRGT View Post
                ^PDF copy of said insurance card in smart phone
                great idea. I do that with my gun range card, makes sense to do it with my insurance card.

Comment

so Matt, you're telling me that my dreams of a Super Bad style ride along are all for naught?

http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
                    so Matt, you're telling me that my dreams of a Super Bad style ride along are all for naught?

We used to do much worse back in the early 90's, but times have changed. Now there are video cameras everywhere...

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
                      We used to do much worse back in the early 90's, but times have changed. Now there are video cameras everywhere...
                      Like get BJ's from good looking women!

Comment

These days are over. To earn the public's trust, you must police yourself like you do the public.

Cops are people too, and they screw up. It isn't fair for them to get special treatment.

Like an old boss of mine said "don't sugar coat it, it is what it is."
                        Agreed, If it is within the confines of this officer doing his job(IE "undercover" etc..) then he has to do what he thinks is best to accomplish his job.

But if he is off duty and does this, well I agree with Blue on this one. I can't do it, neither can you -- why would we think it is ok for him to do it?

Comment

Originally posted by aCid View Post
                          Like get BJ's from good looking women!
                          Back before parking garages got cameras, they were the best places!

(Or so I've been told)....

Comment

ahh the good ol' days
                            http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Back before parking garages got cameras, they were the best places!

(Or so I've been told)....
                              Well from what I've heard/saw.. Sergeants don't have camera's in their car.

Comment

Working...
                              X