No announcement yet.

Help me talk my wife out of a minivan..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me talk my wife out of a minivan..

As many of you know, we're adopting an infant who will be arriving in the world next month. We came to realize that our 2010 Equinox would have some issues carrying the baby and THREE dogs at the same time (a Lab, Beagle, and Westie). There is also a REAL possibility that we will adopt a 2nd child two months after that. So my wife wants something larger. She is serious enough that we have been out looking at minivans today.

So far she is leaning towards a Dodge Grand Caravan R/T. Her main reason for looking at minivans is that she wants the sliding doors for easy access. I've been trying to point her towards a Durango, Arcadia, or Ford Flex, but to little success. The Flex comes close but no sliding doors = no interests..

I need counter arguments. The R/T is a decent vehicle but its a damn minivan.

Station Wagons = Good
    Minivan's BAAAD. Fire BAAAD.. BEER Gooooooooood...

Dear Mrs. Beavis,

Minivans suck and we make fun of people who drive them.

That is all....

Comment

These are for you. You should wear them.

sigpic

Comment

Magnus pulls thru once again FTW

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus View Post
          These are for you. You should wear them.

Well played sir, well played.

Comment

Are you going to be driving the minivan without the kids?

If you are keeping the Bimmer and the wife gets the mini as a daily, I don't see a problem with it.

Comment

Ask her why she doesn't wear ugly clothes in public, then apply those reasons to the minivan.
              sigpic

Comment

After having buyers remorse from going from a Yukon Denali to a tiny "sedan" I am in the market and so far I am diggin' the Ford Flex, Infiniti QX and Toyota Highlander.

I've got 2 rugrats and 2 dogs weighing 115lbs and 100lbs and I just cannot see me driving a mini van.

Comment

Minivans suck, and if she has a sportier personality, she'll probably be bored and miserable with it by the time kiddo #2 gets here.....
                  That being said, she deserves to bask in her Mommydom, it's been a long time coming. Let her test drive minivans. Hopefully, she'll hate being in one and will be more apt to look into the Acadia. If not, indulge her and try not to roll your eyes when you sign the papers.
                  I'm dead set against minivans. They're really not all they're cracked up to be, from an infant standpoint, IMO. You really don't have the access to the baby while driving, (i.e. Grabbing a dropped bottle/cup/toy/whatever or being able to look back and make sure baby is ok when stopped at a red light,) and it's not difficult AT ALL to get an infant seat in and out of an SUV. I can see where they're better, when the kids and all of their friends are piling in and out of a car, but I never had any issues with that in an SUV. Now, I pile three kids (13, 10, and 7) in a four door Jeep and enjoy the fact that I can't accommodate all the kids in the damn neighborhood anymore!
                  Like I said, I think she's wanting to dive head first into her new found mommydom, and she deserves it.

Edit: Whatever you test drive, have her bring a stroller and let her see how well it fits in the cargo hold. I never had a problem putting that monster in my SUVs, but had to cram the back hatch down when it was in the back of my grandmother's minivan.
                  Last edited by Treasure Chest; 12-28-2011, 05:09 PM.

Comment

I fought it for years. The real deciding factor ended up due to my Mom who is in a wheelchair and it is a WHOLE lot easier lifting the thing in and out of a van than an SUV, especially if my wife is taking her somewhere. It was also a lot easier for my mother to get in and out. Also, none of the medium SUV's offered enough seating. (we were not interested in Tahoe/Expedition size) So I caved and we bought a used Dodge Grand Caravan. I have no regrets. It is very easy for my Mom to get in and out, easy for the kids getting in and out. Tons of space. We took a trip to Colorado in the summer and it was nice. There is a season for everything. I don't expect for us to have a mini-van forever but for now, it fits this time in our life.

Comment

vans are the shit... mini vans are too...
                      Last edited by Cooter; 12-28-2011, 09:29 PM.
                      http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post

but even if you don't like them, she's going to be the one driving it. pick your battles and let her have what she wants IMO
                        Yea, that's probably what is going to end up happening. She never gets in the way of the car I want. Of course I'm the one actually paying for it..

Comment

Originally posted by Treasure Chest View Post
                          Minivans suck, and if she has a sportier personality, she'll probably be bored and miserable with it by the time kiddo #2 gets here.....
                          That being said, she deserves to bask in her Mommydom, it's been a long time coming. Let her test drive minivans. Hopefully, she'll hate being in one and will be more apt to look into the Acadia. If not, indulge her and try not to roll your eyes when you sign the papers.
                          I'm dead set against minivans. They're really not all they're cracked up to be, from an infant standpoint, IMO. You really don't have the access to the baby while driving, (i.e. Grabbing a dropped bottle/cup/toy/whatever or being able to look back and make sure baby is ok when stopped at a red light,) and it's not difficult AT ALL to get an infant seat in and out of an SUV. I can see where they're better, when the kids and all of their friends are piling in and out of a car, but I never had any issues with that in an SUV. Now, I pile three kids (13, 10, and 7) in a four door Jeep and enjoy the fact that I can't accommodate all the kids in the damn neighborhood anymore!
                          Like I said, I think she's wanting to dive head first into her new found mommydom, and she deserves it.

Edit: Whatever you test drive, have her bring a stroller and let her see how well it fits in the cargo hold. I never had a problem putting that monster in my SUVs, but had to cram the back hatch down when it was in the back of my grandmother's minivan.
                          Originally posted by Cooter View Post

but even if you don't like them, she's going to be the one driving it. pick your battles and let her have what she wants IMO
                          Very well said on both accounts.

Comment

your wife must be lame in bed for desiring to drive a minivan.

Comment

Originally posted by 78X View Post
                              your wife must be lame in bed for desiring to drive a minivan.
                              Uncalled for and out of line.

Comment

Working...
                              X