Honda destroyed by small-claims court

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honda destroyed by small-claims court

The California owner of a Honda Civic Hybrid car has won her unusual small-claims court lawsuit against the auto giant over the vehicle's failure to deliver the promised mileage.

Heather Peters says her 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid never achieved the 50 mpg Honda claimed in its advertising.
    The California owner of a Honda Civic Hybrid car has won her unusual small-claims court lawsuit against the auto giant over the vehicle's failure to deliver the promised mileage.

A Los Angeles Superior Court commissioner has awarded Heather Peters $9,867.

Peters opted out of a class-action lawsuit so she could try to claim a higher payment for the failure of her Civic to deliver the 50 miles per gallon (21.26 kilometers per liter) that was promised when she bought it.
    Informed of the decision by The Associated Press, Peters exulted, "Wow! Fantastic."

"I am absolutely thrilled. Sometimes big justice comes in small packages," she said. "This is a victory for Honda Civic owners everywhere."

Peters, a former lawyer, hoped to inspire a flood of such lawsuits by the other 200,000 owners of the Hybrid Honda Civic model sold in 2006. She said that if all 200,000 owners of the cars sued and won in small claims cost, it could Honda Motor Co. $2 billion.

She launched a website, DontSettleWithHonda.org, and said she was contacted by hundreds of other car owners seeking guidance in how to file small claims suits if they opted out of a class-action case already filed.

The upside of small claims court is that there are no attorneys' fees and cases are decided quickly. Individual payments are far greater than in class-action cases.

Honda's proposed class-action settlement would give aggrieved owners $100 to $200 each and a $1,000 credit toward the purchase of a new car. Legal fees in the class action case would give trial lawyers $8.5 million, Peters said.

Legal experts had said it was unlikely that all owners would take the small claims route because of the time and energy involved in pursuing such lawsuits. But it was a unique approach that could have an impact.

Superior Court Commissioner Douglas Carnahan held two hearings on the claim in January.

Peters claimed her he car never came close to the promised 50 mpg (21.26 kpl) and that it got no more than 30 miles per gallon (12.75 kilometers per liter) when the battery began deteriorating. She still owns the car and wanted to be compensated for money lost on gas, as well as punitive damages, amounting to $10,000.

A Honda technical expert who testified at an earlier hearing said the company was required by federal law to post the sticker estimating the highest mileage the car could get. But he said the mileage varied on how the car was driven. The company said Peters was not deceived.

A judge in San Diego County is due to rule in March on whether to approve Honda's class-action settlement. Members of the class have until Feb. 11 to accept or decline the deal.

Small claims courts generally handle private disputes that do not involve large amounts of money. In many states, that means small debts, quarrels between tenants and landlords and contract disagreements. Attorneys aren't usually there; in California, litigants aren't allowed to have lawyers argue their case.
    The limit for small claims damages in California is $10,000. In other states it ranges from $2,500 to $15,000.

haha, wow...

I can get bad MPG too, it's so hard to achieve though!!
    Originally posted by Buzzo
    Some dudes jump out of airplanes, I fuck hookers without condoms.

sigpic

Hybrids are for idiots.

Comment

Destroyed?

Comment

Originally posted by jewozzy View Post
        Destroyed?
        Not literally, but they still have a ton of angry (and a bit slow in the head) buyers. 200k people possibly getting 10k a pop or so...ouch...plus it will turn some people away from buying new ones and other honda vehicles
        Originally posted by Buzzo
        Some dudes jump out of airplanes, I fuck hookers without condoms.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by a bit slow in the head View Post
          Not literally, but they still have a ton of angry (and a bit slow in the head) buyers. 200k people possibly getting 10k a pop or so...ouch...plus it will turn some people away from buying new ones and other honda vehicles
          Wouldn't stop me from buying other Honda vehicles. Oh snap, we own one (not a hybrid) and it gets better than the advertised miles.

Comment

Originally posted by crapstang View Post

Peters claimed her he car never came close to the promised 50 mpg (21.26 kpl) and that it got no more than 30 miles per gallon (12.75 kilometers per liter) when the battery began deteriorating. She still owns the car and wanted to be compensated for money lost on gas, as well as punitive damages, amounting to $10,000.
            This is what I'm waiting for as ALL bybrids age. Poorer performance, owners whining when they have to pay $5K-10K for new batteries, or the ecological disaster of hybrids piling up in the junk yards.
            A Honda technical expert who testified at an earlier hearing said the company was required by federal law to post the sticker estimating the highest mileage the car could get. But he said the mileage varied on how the car was driven. The company said Peters was not deceived.
            Nice! So a government mandate has now set up every car manufacturer for small claims court!
            "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Hybrids were one of my fields of study in school and I never found any advantage to them when used as a passenger car. Most hybrids would get better mileage if they ditched the hybrid drive line and stuck in a conventional drive line that delivered similar performance. The perceived mileage improvements that hybrids have comes from a willingness by the drives to sacrifice comfort and performance for something that make them feel goods about themselves.

The whole hybrid thing is also a lie that was force into being because of the failure of the electric car mandated by Cali in the 90's. Cali just announced a new electric car mandate that is simply going to waste more time and capital that should be spent on developing realistic technologies.
              Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Damn, i'm taking Ford to court. My mustang doesn't get anywhere near the advertised highway mileage... Couldn't be because I can't keep my foot out of it. But the sticker didn't say that I couldn't drive it hard to get good gas mileage...

People are idiots and will find ANYTHING to file suit about... Some of these people should be shot for lack of common sense!
                "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

If Cali's court system is anything like Texas', that judgment will be good for all of about 10 days. In Texas all you have to do is file a Notice of Appeal and it's automatically appealed to the County Court at Law.

Comment

Good...I hope this bitch doesn't see a dime.

Comment

LOL at Cali. They give law degree online, everything about that state is azz backwards. that's probably where she got hers.

Comment

Be interesting for sure. As far as I can tell, most sticker MPG are unrealistic at best.
                        Originally posted by MR EDD
                        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackGT View Post
                          Damn, i'm taking Ford to court. My mustang doesn't get anywhere near the advertised highway mileage... Couldn't be because I can't keep my foot out of it. But the sticker didn't say that I couldn't drive it hard to get good gas mileage...

People are idiots and will find ANYTHING to file suit about... Some of these people should be shot for lack of common sense!
                          I actually disagree with you here.

What if you bought a hybrid Expedition that was revolutionary at 26mpg, and the best it ever saw, even at 55mph on cruise was 18mpg, which is comparable to every other SUV that didn't have a ridiculous premium price tag?

Car manufacturers should be responsible for their claims like any other product.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
                            I actually disagree with you here.

What if you bought a hybrid Expedition that was revolutionary at 26mpg, and the best it ever saw, even at 55mph on cruise was 18mpg, which is comparable to every other SUV that didn't have a ridiculous premium price tag?

Car manufacturers should be responsible for their claims like any other product.
                            Does that happen by design? Or because the owner always put lead ingots in the back? That's the thing that has to be proven.
                            "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
                              Does that happen by design? Or because the owner always put lead ingots in the back? That's the thing that has to be proven.
                              Well, if you read up on how they rate the mileage, it's beyond idealistic. The vehicle may have absolutely never in all of development got that MPG while driving down the road, but they'll be happy to put that sticker on the window.

Comment

Working...
                              X