Happy Texas Independence Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Texas Independence Day

"The Texas Declaration of Independence was the formal declaration of independence of the Republic of Texas from Mexico in the Texas Revolution. It was adopted at the Convention of 1836 at Washington-on-the-Brazos on March 2, 1836,"

It's also, Texas Flag Day and Sam Houston Day (March 2 is his b-day).

In October 1835, settlers in Mexican Texas launched the Texas Revolution.

However, within Texas, many struggled with understanding what was the ultimate goal of the Revolution. Some believed that the goal should be total independence from Mexico, while others sought the reimplementation of the Mexican Constitution of 1824 (which offered greater freedoms than the centralist government declared in Mexico the prior year). To settle the issue, a convention was called for March 1836.

This convention differed from the previous Texas councils of 1832, 1833, and the 1835 Consultation. Many of the delegates to the 1836 convention were young men who had only recently arrived in Texas, although many of them had participated in one of the battles in 1835. Most of the delegates were members of the War Party and were adamant that Texas must declare its independence from Mexico. Forty-one delegates arrived in Washington-on-the-Brazos on February 28.
    The convention was convened on March 1 with Richard Ellis as president. The delegates selected a committee of five to draft a declaration of independence; the committee was led by George Childress and also included Edward Conrad, James Gaines, Bailey Hardeman, and Collin McKinney. The committee submitted its draft within a mere 24 hours, leading historians to speculate that Childress had written much of it before his arrival at the Convention.

The declaration was approved on March 2 with no debate. Based primarily on the writings of John Locke and Thomas Jefferson, the declaration proclaimed that the Mexican government "ceased to protect the lives, liberty, and property of the people, from whom its legitimate powers are derived" and complained about "arbitrary acts of oppression and tyranny". The declaration officially established the Republic of Texas.

Among others, the declaration mentions the following reasons for the separation:
    • The 1824 Constitution of Mexico establishing a federal republic had been usurped and changed into a centralist military dictatorship by Gen. Antonio López de Santa Anna.
    • The Mexican government had invited settlers to Texas and promised them constitutional liberty and republican government, but then reneged on these guarantees.
    • Texas was in union with the Mexican state of Coahuila as Coahuila y Tejas, with the capital in distant Saltillo, and thus the affairs of Texas were decided at a great distance from the province and in the Spanish language.
    • Political rights to which the settlers had previously been accustomed, such as the right to keep and bear arms and the right to trial by jury, were denied.
    • No system of public education had been established.
    • The settlers were not allowed freedom of religion.

Based upon the United States Declaration of Independence, the Texas Declaration also contains many memorable expressions of American political principles:
    • "the right of trial by jury, that palladium of civil liberty, and only safe guarantee for the life, liberty, and property of the citizen."
    • "our arms ... are essential to our defence, the rightful property of freemen, and formidable only to tyrannical governments."

So get out there and drink a Lone Star / Shiner / Pearl, shoot some guns, and yell random obscenities at the ghost of Santa Anna.

Just don't piss on the Alamo.

Comment

11 down
      Originally posted by davbrucas
      I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Well, fuck. I quit.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
          Well, fuck. I quit.
          lmao! At least your thread has some info in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cannon88 View Post
            lmao! At least your thread has some info in it.
            Mine has all the info needed. Lonestar beer today fellas
            DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Lonestar is headquartered out of Illinosis and is brewed by Miller now, FYI. Shiner ftw.

Comment

Viva Texico!!!!
                Originally posted by talisman
                I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
                Originally posted by AdamLX
                If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
                Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                Because fuck you, that's why
                Originally posted by 80coupe
                nice dick, Idrivea4banger
                Originally posted by Rick Modena
                ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
                Originally posted by Jester
                Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                    Well, fuck. I quit.
                    Trust me, a lifetime of quitting has gotten me absolutely nowhere. That is not the right path to be treading down, Kemosabe.
                    How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Originally posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
                      That’s back when we were the wild wild west. I like how you can see the East coast was already established and we essentially were the beginning of no man’s land, pretty cool
                      Originally posted by Sean88gt
                      You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
                      Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
                      You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtracer View Post
                        That’s back when we were the wild wild west. I like how you can see the East coast was already established and we essentially were the beginning of no man’s land, pretty cool
                        That was the Republic of Texas' Land claim in 1836. One of the stipulation for Texas entering the union in 1845 was not disputing land claims that shaped Texas to what it is today.

Comment

Originally posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
                          That was the Republic of Texas' Land claim in 1836. One of the stipulation for Texas entering the union in 1845 was not disputing land claims that shaped Texas to what it is today.
                          So essentially we can all migrate to New Mexico and Colorado, ask everyone to talk like a hick and tell them that this was Texas' land before it was their land? Awesome
                          Originally posted by Sean88gt
                          You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
                          Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
                          You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtracer View Post
                            So essentially we can all migrate to New Mexico and Colorado, ask everyone to talk like a hick and tell them that this was Texas' land before it was their land? Awesome
                            What do you think the Mexicans have been doing this whole time?

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                              Lonestar is headquartered out of Illinosis and is brewed by Miller now, FYI. Shiner ftw.
                              Where did you hear these lies?

Lone Star Brewing Company is based out of San Antonio, TX in the Pabst Brewing Co. office, located at:

121 Interpark Blvd #300, San Antonio, TX 78216

And Lone Star is ONLY brewed at the Miller Brewing company plant in FT WORTH, TX, under contract of Pabst so that the beer can remain to be produced in Texas.

History
                              Olympia Brewing purchased Lone Star Brewery in 1976.

G. Heileman Brewing Company purchased Lone Star from Olympia in 1983.

Stroh Brewery acquires B. Heileman Brewing Company in 1996, and they start to phase out the Texas brewery.

Pabst Brewing Company buys Lone Star from Stroh in 1999, and decide to keep Lone Star brewed in Texas at the Pearl Brewery.

The Pearl Brewery was shut down in 2000 because of outdated equipment and cost to retrofit.

Pabst contracts Miller Brewing in Ft. Worth to continue to brew Lone Star in the great state of Texas!

Keep your filthy lies about my beer out of here!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X