Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Walt Disney World or Universal Studios Orlando?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walt Disney World or Universal Studios Orlando?

The wife and I are planning a New Years trip for us and the kids to Florida. I just now stumbled upon some websites about universal studios; and it seems pretty cool. This past September we took the kids to Walt Disney World and stayed in one of the Disney resorts for 3 nights. We did the sit down dining plan and 2 park days with one down day for relaxing and downtown Disney. We went to Hollywood Studios park and Magic Kingdom park. We then left Disney and went up and down Florida for a wedding and hit some beaches both ways.

Well with a new years trip and time of year we don't plan on any beach days. We plan on staying 3 nights again at a Disney resort, having 2 park days and one down day for downtown disney. We are also doing the sit down dining plan again as that is the best deal they have going!

After that I had planned on one day at universal and one day at Legoland; since my son is a HUGE lego builder. I am now wondering if it is worth adding a day to the trip and now including 2 universal park days and the one lego land day. Those that have been to both Disney and Universal....is Universal worth adding a second park day and essentially an extra day to our trip?

Both my kids love Harry Potter and have seen all the movies, as well as my son is re-reading the books. Cutting out legoland is not going to happen so I have the figure out if universal is worth the added expense of an additional park day and an additional day to the trip, ie hotel, food, shopping expenses etc.

Any advice from those who have gone and have kids?

Universal is bad ass. It is very family oriented and easier to get around than Disney (right off the highway). I went 3-4 times when I lived out there and would go again. How old are the kids?
    Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Originally posted by Z06killinsbf View Post
      Universal is bad ass. It is very family oriented and easier to get around than Disney (right off the highway). I went 3-4 times when I lived out there and would go again. How old are the kids?
      Son-9 he loves legos and Harry Potter
      Daughter-7 she loves mermaids and Harry Potter

They both also love Jack Sparrow; but we already did the Island of Carri bean ride at Disney this past September. We are all big into rides as well as movies; that is why we are doing the theme park vacations at this age and will move to more beach-type vacations as they get older I am sure lol

Comment

I've only been to Universal and thought it was a really good time.
        Originally posted by MR EDD
        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

It's only 30 minutes away, I know they built a new water park across the street from it a few years ago. I would skip Disney IMO but Universal can be done in one day.

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Brad, if you need some help with any Disney stuff I can put you in touch with my wife, she is working part time for a travel agency that does Disney trips exclusively. She knows quite a bit about that place.

I have never been to Universal but I have heard that the Harry Potter thing they have there is unbelievable.
            Originally posted by racrguy
            What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
            Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
              Brad, if you need some help with any Disney stuff I can put you in touch with my wife, she is working part time for a travel agency that does Disney trips exclusively. She knows quite a bit about that place.

I have never been to Universal but I have heard that the Harry Potter thing they have there is unbelievable.
              Damn it AL.....I was already going through the lady that booked our last year. Can the Mrs still book for us if someone has started the process? PM me her info and I can get in touch with her and see if it is the same agency.

Comment

Any one been there in December/January? What is the weather like?

Comment

Originally posted by 2K2 LS1 View Post
                  I went to Disney world two years ago and it was really nice. It's gets a bit cool at night but about 60's and 70's during the day.
                  2010 F-350 6.4L SRW CC 4X4

Spartan tunes, 5 inch flo-pro, 4 inch down pipe, cold side piping, AFE stage 2 CAI, EGR delete, Air Dog II

2012 Mustang 5.0 GT Stock........for now.

Comment

I'll ask my buddy who is there today.

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

I'll send it to you. I am not sure what she can do to be honest, I just let her do her thing.

I have been in December, it was during a cold snap though and it got down into the 40s at night. That is really rare from what I understand.
                      What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                      Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

I talked to one of our DC managers who lives in Orlando and it looks to normally be 60-70 during the day in December/January; but this year they had a cold streak where it got in the mid to upper 30's. Gonna have to plan closer to the trip for clothing; but won't let weather determine the activities as much......wife was just wanting to know if the pool at either resort would get any use

Comment

I've been to both several times and Universal is a much better time.

Comment

Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
                            I've been to both several times and Universal is a much better time.
                            We are doing both so I will definitely let you know which the family enjoys more

We plan on spending new years eve at Magic Kingdom. The fireworks at night this past September were pretty bad ass!

Comment

We went to Disney World this past December during the kids' winter break and the weather was 75-79 degrees. There were people in shorts and t-shirts. I was in jeans and was breaking a sweat at times.

Comment

Working...
                              X