Cop stays cool under pressure ~VID~

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cop stays cool under pressure ~VID~

After failing to comply and beginning to fight I think I would have been worried the robber was going to grab the weapon. I would have sent one through his skull.

A police officer interrupted a robbery of the Walgreens store early Thursday morning, the second at the store in less than four hours.

The officer entered the store around 5:45 a.m. to pick up surveillance video of the initial robbery, which happened at 2:15 a.m. at the 2710 Salem Ave. pharmacy in Dayton OH.

While in line behind the suspect, the officer saw the suspect reach into the drawer and remove money. The officer drew his weapon and ordered the man, 55-year-old Donald Cotten, to the ground. A struggle ensued with the officer at a disadvantage, having drawn his weapon, Sgt. Moises Perez, head of the robber unit, said.

“We wasn’t going to shoot the guy because he was unarmed,” Perez said. “The problem was getting the gun back into a secure holster.”

Security video showed the officer fending off Cotten with one hand while holding his sidearm in the other. As the pair struggled Officer Joshua Campbell was able to holster his weapon and take Cotten to the ground. During the struggle, Cotten hit the officer several times in the head and face, dislodging the officer’s radio ear piece, breaking his communications with dispatch.

Perez said the blows stunned Campbell for a moment.

The video showed Cotten escaping Campbell and trying to get out the door before Campbell grabbed him again and took him down a second time just outside the drugstore’s entrance. During the struggle, Cotten repeatedly attempted to grab Campbell’s sidearm. Once on the ground, two drugstore employees rushed out an assisted Campbell in restraining Cotten, according to the police report.

According to Perez, when dispatch was unable to reach Campbell after his initial report of a struggle, backup was sent with sirens and lights. It took officers about 5 minutes to reach the scene because of weather and road conditions.

“In a situation like that it seems like forever,” Perez said. “Every minute seems like an hour.”

Once in cuffs, Cotten was taken to a local hospital for a precautionary checkup then to the Montgomery County Regional Jail. He has been charged with aggravated robbery, assault of a police officer and robbery, according to Dayton Municipal Court records.

Cotten had a hammer and box cutter in a backpack he was wearing, the sergeant said.

The assistance of the two employees was of an “immense help”, keeping Cotten from getting the officer’s sidearm, Perez said.

“We love the public. We always have backup, and we appreciate it,” Perez said of the assistance.

Police said Cotten is not a suspect in the earlier robbery of the Walgreens
    US Politics in three words - Divide and Conquer

how fucking stupid do you have to be to attempt a robbery with a cop standing behind you in line?

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
      how fucking stupid do you have to be to attempt a robbery with a cop standing behind you in line?
      Situational awareness escaped him I think.
      Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
      Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

Comment

Should have wasted that stupid fuck.

Comment

Good cop! Have a donut.

Comment

That is what pisses me off-and what i would have done different. The second he started getting aggressive with me/reaching for my gun, he would eat a bullet.

Comment

Originally posted by JFurst View Post
              That is what pisses me off-and what i would have done different. The second he started getting aggressive with me/reaching for my gun, he would eat a bullet.
              I'm with you. The robber knew the gun was on him and made the choice to fight. If he had skills it could have ended very badly for the officer.
              Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
              Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

Comment

Cop should have shined the flashlight in his face.

Comment

Originally posted by SSMAN View Post
                  Cop should have shined the flashlight in his face.
                  lolz

Comment

I was always told/etc not to get that close if you have a gun. I guess the cop knows better then me, but it seems like how much bigger the guy was that gun could've been turned on him real fast.

Scrappy little guy though. (little in comparison to the crook)
                    Originally posted by MR EDD
                    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

That's impressive. No way he should have killed an unarmed guy over a robbery. Nice to see a video of a cop doing their job well. Usually they only get bad press.

Comment

Originally posted by TENGRAM View Post
                        No way he should have killed an unarmed guy over a robbery.
                        You make it sound like he knew the guy was unarmed. I would have blasted that fucker.
                        When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by TENGRAM View Post
                          That's impressive. No way he should have killed an unarmed guy over a robbery. Nice to see a video of a cop doing their job well. Usually they only get bad press.
                          He was going after the cop's gun, trying to arm himself.

Comment

Originally posted by BradM View Post

That just asks for a disablement of ones life.

Dallas PD would have waited for his turn to check out. JK

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                              You make it sound like he knew the guy was unarmed. I would have blasted that fucker.
                              He didn't have a weapon in his hand. I understand that a lot of people would be so afraid of the perp that they would shoot first and ask questions later, but it's nice to see that a well-trained and prepared cop wasn't. He knew he had the situation under control the entire time.

Originally posted by BradM View Post
                              Right, because that's what we saw in the video...

Comment

Working...
                              X