Back Surgery...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Leah View Post
    Amen, brother. So imagine my problem going for chronic daily migraines, lupus, fibromyalgia and now seizures. None of which they can do anything about except treat the pain, then I'm looked at like a dope fiend instead of a mother/wife/grad student/working/middle class/tax paying citizen. I just want to be able to do what I need to do and not cry in pain or wish I was dead every second of every day. I get help so I can still be somewhat productive, have a life and still do things with my kids.
    Pssssttt... Eric left a year ago or more. I hope you aren't holding your breath waiting on a response.
    Originally posted by BradM
    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
    Originally posted by Leah
    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

• Originally posted by bcoop View Post
      Pssssttt... Eric left a year ago or more. I hope you aren't holding your breath waiting on a response.
      I know, but he didn't leave-he just doesn't post.
      Token Split Tail

Originally posted by slow99
      Lmao...my favorite female poster strikes again.
      Originally posted by Pokulski-Blatz
      You are a moron .... you were fucking with the most powerful vagina on DFW(MU)stangs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leah View Post
        I know, but he didn't leave-he just doesn't post.
        so he doesnt log in, and just lurks?

Last Activity: 01-21-2015 01:52 PM
        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

• I little update. I spent the first week of January on the couch sick as hell. This seemed to give my back a rest and the majority of my leg pain went away and I regained some mobility. I went to the Texas Back Institute in Rockwall yesterday and saw Dr. Bosita. This was my second opinion. From the time I walked in, I felt better about this facility, the staff all seemed older, more concerned/interested in my condition, and more professional. Once the Dr. finally made it to my room, he jokingly asked if I did this by saving a nun from a burning car. His exact words, "You have a massive herniation!". This was the first time I had heard it put that way, that it was massive. Spine Team Texas and the 4 people I saw for treatment there in the last year (1 physician, 2 PA's, and 1 Surgeon) never once commented on the size of the herniation or the potential severity of it.

We spent a while going through my history, treatment history, life events, and my level of physical activity, primarily since my first surgery. It made me feel good to see that he was taking notes, not just about the history of my condition, but also my personal history. I feel it is extremely important for people to feel like they are welcome when they go to the doctor, not just some source of revenue. Naturally he mentioned surgery, primarily due to the size of the herniation and he eluded to the notion that he felt it was inevitable. After that conversation, he asked me what I wanted to get out of my treatment. I told him first and foremost, I want to avoid surgery at all cost. I understood that surgery number 2 is essentially a precursor for a fusion/reconstructive surgery. Just a few months ago I was cycling 100 miles/wk and hitting the gym 2x/wk for general fitness and that with the recent regression in my pain level and increase in mobility, I didn't feel that surgery was a smart option at this point. We then wen to take a look at the MRI images and the x-rays that they took before the doctor came in. Once he showed it to me, I could definitely see the size of the herniation from the side view and how it was compressing a large area of the spinal canal. We talked a bit more about my lifestyle, how I prefer to be active, and that I have a baby on the way.

So, we laid out the first step of my treatment plan. Another epidural injection. I got a little bit of relief from the injection performed by Spine Team Texas, which was performed in the wrong location (more on that in the next paragraph). Once that is done, we will schedule a follow up appointment and go from there. He offered to send me to PT, however, I have attempted my PT exercises on numerous occasions since Thanksgiving but they continue to increase my pain and discomfort for 1-2 hrs after I try to make it through just the first stretch/exercise, so we decided to hold off on that.

The wrong location:

I had an epidural injection from STT the first week of December, not only did I have to get it approved by my insurance myself because STT drug their feet for a week, they also did the injection at L5 when my herniation/issue is at L3/L4. When I told the STT surgeon where they did the injection he was surprised, though he mentioned that some of the steroid may have traveled up to the L3/L4 location. When I was being prepped for the injection, they asked what I was having done. I told them an epidural injection at L3/L4. No one had previously discussed the location with me, this is just what I assumed because that was where my previous issue was and the images we had at that time did not indicate an issue at any other location (and they still don't). So the doctor came in with a nerve chart and showed me the correlation to the nerves exiting at L5, I felt this correlated to my pain so that is where the did the injection. At this point, all that I can guess is that I was not reading my pain correctly. After looking at the new MRI, there is no indication that I should have any issue with nerves exiting the spine at the L5 level. Dr. Bosita was also VERY surprised that they had done the injection at L5.

Here is my hope going forward:

An injection in the correct location, right at the source of my pain, will help to alleviate enough of the pain/discomfort and allow me to get back to doing my PT exercises, increase my core strength and stability, and delay surgery as long as I can.
          Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

• tl dr

had second opinion, massive disc herniation at L3/L4, doing a second injection. Texas Back Institute is much better than Spine Team Texas so far (Rockwall locations).

Comment

• In the interim between my last visit with STT and my first visit with TBI, I have been aggressively looking into alternative treatment methods. I have found some articles written by a guy from Australia, Andrew Lock, who claims he has corrected herniated discs. I have found no mention of anywhere he has accomplished this with anyone who has already had a surgery for a herniation. His articles can be found on breakingmuscle.com. I haven't read through all of them yet, though it appears that it is centered around the sumo deadlift, using proper technique, and building the muscles along the spine. I picked up a book by Robin McKenzie from New Zealand called Treat your own back, on a recommendation that I saw Mr. Lock make to someone on his Facebook page. These may turn out to be snake oil, but in some of Luck's articles he presents MRI proof of a herniation that has essentially gone away.

We took the plunge and bought a new mattress and adjustable base that was delivered on Saturday so far it has been money well spent. I am able to sleep through the night with VERY minimal pain. In addition I picked up an inversion table and began using that last night.
              Last edited by black2002ls; 01-26-2016, 01:05 PM.

Comment

• I'll go ahead and bump this for reference to the other thread.

I have been on my inversion table twice this week, 30 minutes on Monday and 30 minutes yesterday. So far I have seen short term relief, only time will tell if it will offer long term relief.

I also finished reading "Treat your own back" and have begun the first stage of those exercises whenever I can find the time during the day.

As far as my mobility and condition, it is hard to say at this point if I have made any improvement or not. I wasn't feeling too bad the last week or so. I have noticed some increase in range of motion and it seems that my discomfort doesn't set in near as quickly during the day, but I am trying to not get my hopes up.

I have another epidural injection scheduled for 2/19. Hopefully between now and then I can find some consistent relief and a noticeable increase in mobility and decrease in pain/discomfort. My ultimate goal here is to reach a point where I can enjoy life and get back to riding my bike.

Comment

• Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                  In the interim between my last visit with STT and my first visit with TBI, I have been aggressively looking into alternative treatment methods. I have found some articles written by a guy from Australia, Andrew Lock, who claims he has corrected herniated discs. I have found no mention of anywhere he has accomplished this with anyone who has already had a surgery for a herniation. His articles can be found on breakingmuscle.com. I haven't read through all of them yet, though it appears that it is centered around the sumo deadlift, using proper technique, and building the muscles along the spine. I picked up a book by Robin McKenzie from New Zealand called Treat your own back, on a recommendation that I saw Mr. Lock make to someone on his Facebook page. These may turn out to be snake oil, but in some of Luck's articles he presents MRI proof of a herniation that has essentially gone away.

We took the plunge and bought a new mattress and adjustable base that was delivered on Saturday so far it has been money well spent. I am able to sleep through the night with VERY minimal pain. In addition I picked up an inversion table and began using that last night.
                  What mattress did you end up getting?

Comment

• Originally posted by dmh165638 View Post
                    What mattress did you end up getting?
                    We spent about 3 hrs at Mattress Firm, laying on different mattresses, going back and forth. The primary goal was to find something that was going to be good for my back. I used to be a stomach sleeper, but haven't been able to do that in a few years because of my back. On almost everything I laid on, while on my back, I had some degree of leg pain. We settled on a Simmons Beautyrest Black with an adjustable base. I think it is a medium firm mattress. It was the only thing I was able to lay on and not have much pain in my leg at all. Combine that with being able to raise/lower my head and/or feet as I need and it was an easy sell.

So far, I have gotten some of the best sleep I have had in my life, short of the drunken coma that had in my mid-late twenties. I spent most of my adult life sleeping on hand me down mattresses, this is the first brand new one I have ever owned.

This is a hybrid coil spring/memory foam. It has something in the foam to help you sleep cooler. I'm not sure that it helps much because it sleeps warm, I wouldn't say hot, but you can tell that the foam retains a bit of body heat

Comment

• Originally posted by TX21 View Post
                      Haven't tried any treatment. Just did some stretches last night for the first time in a long time. Never had much luck with those. Going to keep active and keep doing stretches then try the decomp.
                      Update for me, curious to hear all the other updates specifically ones that involved surgery.

Since spring 2015 I have been going to the gym and working my back 2-4 times a month and that's the only thing I have done as far as treatment. No decompression, shots, inversion table just exercise. No more stabbing pain every other day. I can't remember the last time I got one.

Still sore in the AM almost everyday. And sometimes I get sore after a workout. But no more stabbing/nerve burns!

Comment

• I had my last injection in February and for the most part have been symptom free ever since. I've had some instances where my feet get tingly, or I feel fatigued specifically in my lower spine region. I have come to accept that those things are just a part of my life now.

I try to exercise correct form when lifting. I strive to incorporate core muscle exercises, though I often fail at this. I also have the posture of a millenial slob. I slouch A LOT. So I try to make a conscious effort to stand up straight, sight upright, etc. Some studies have shown that this doesn't have a significant effect on back pain, but I feel it helps.

The thing to keep in mind is that any of us who have had discectomies or similar operations, we got a repair. It doesn't fix the problem. We still have a loss of disc height, as well as a higher propensity for re-herniation. We now have to make a lifetime commitment to keeping our core muscles strengthened as we have a "condition" that will follow us the rest of our lives.

Comment

• Originally posted by TX21 View Post
                          Update for me, curious to hear all the other updates specifically ones that involved surgery.

Since spring 2015 I have been going to the gym and working my back 2-4 times a month and that's the only thing I have done as far as treatment. No decompression, shots, inversion table just exercise. No more stabbing pain every other day. I can't remember the last time I got one.

Still sore in the AM almost everyday. And sometimes I get sore after a workout. But no more stabbing/nerve burns!
                          My back has bothered me in the past but only when I stop working it out.

For the soreness in the morning, check your mattress and how you sleep. If your mattress is shit or you are sleeping in weird positions it will mess you up.
                          Originally posted by racrguy
                          What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                          Originally posted by racrguy
                          Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

• I had to go back and see if I ever replied but I guess not.

I'm currently 41, so I get some aches and pains here and there. 11/2014 one day I felt like I could barely walk. Went to urgent care and then an ortho, end result was a small bulge at L4-L5. Rx for Meloxicam, norco as needed and was recommended PT. By the time I saw the ortho, I was almost better so I never did the PT. It would just occasionally bug me.

Almost 2 weeks ago, was in Vegas for a conference for a week. Lots of walking, some standing around, and a 2 1/2 hr flight each way. Then did some range time on Friday when I got back. Saturday hit and I felt a solid 7/8 pain rating. Could barely walk. Went to urgent care, got 7.5 mg of norco, and started my Meloxicam again. Norco wasn't doing anything. Did a couple of chiro adjustments but I don't think it did much. Scheduled with the ortho last week and ended up seeing the nurse practitioner, which I was kind of miffed about. I don't have any numbness or tingling, just the lower back is killing me. Got some Percocet, a medrol dose pack, and Robaxin. While the Percocet is a nice treat in the AM, I don't think any of it is really doing much. She said we could do another MRI, but we both didn't think so since I didn't have the numbness, etc. Figured it was just muscle spasms in conjunction with some inflammation. At this point I am thinking that I might need another MRI, it's been almost 2 weeks and it's only slightly better. This completely blows and I just want to get back to how I was.

Comment

• Originally posted by GE View Post
                              I had to go back and see if I ever replied but I guess not.

I'm currently 41, so I get some aches and pains here and there. 11/2014 one day I felt like I could barely walk. Went to urgent care and then an ortho, end result was a small bulge at L4-L5. Rx for Meloxicam, norco as needed and was recommended PT. By the time I saw the ortho, I was almost better so I never did the PT. It would just occasionally bug me.

Almost 2 weeks ago, was in Vegas for a conference for a week. Lots of walking, some standing around, and a 2 1/2 hr flight each way. Then did some range time on Friday when I got back. Saturday hit and I felt a solid 7/8 pain rating. Could barely walk. Went to urgent care, got 7.5 mg of norco, and started my Meloxicam again. Norco wasn't doing anything. Did a couple of chiro adjustments but I don't think it did much. Scheduled with the ortho last week and ended up seeing the nurse practitioner, which I was kind of miffed about. I don't have any numbness or tingling, just the lower back is killing me. Got some Percocet, a medrol dose pack, and Robaxin. While the Percocet is a nice treat in the AM, I don't think any of it is really doing much. She said we could do another MRI, but we both didn't think so since I didn't have the numbness, etc. Figured it was just muscle spasms in conjunction with some inflammation. At this point I am thinking that I might need another MRI, it's been almost 2 weeks and it's only slightly better. This completely blows and I just want to get back to how I was.
                              Have you talked about steroid injections with the doc?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

• Welcome to the club yall, I have degenerative disc disease and the l4-l5 is @30%, the l5-s1 is @10% remaining. I deal with the severe sciatica on a daily basis, a stabbing pain in the right hip with a sensation similar to lava being poured down my right leg and couldn't feel the right 2/3rds of my right foot. It was bad enough for a few weeks in June that it almost cost my new job at FedEx because I couldn't walk.

I've had 6 injections, done countless hours of PT. In the end, I've found that the more active ones am, the less pain I experience. I'll be a prime candidate for disc replacement and fusion in the near future.

Comment

Working...
                                X