Back Surgery...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by talisman View Post
    Yup. Seems like you might as well be flipping a coin. I'll go as long as I can before I let any one cut on my back.
    This did not work for me. I had a herniated disc L5/S1. I put it off 7 yrs going through countless nerve burns and spinal injections. After time they did nothing for me. My last MRI should no disc material at L5. I underwent a ALIF spinal fusion in March of this year. It was my only option. I have had good success up to this point. However, a major surgery like this was terrible. 2 weeks in the hospital, and terrible pain due to the spinal fusion. I now have plates holding my spine together.

If I would have went earlier, it would have been the evasive scope procedure. I was in bed for 2 months, and won't be released to full duty until March of next year.

I definitely would have handled things different if I would have known the big picture.
    The hand that feeds, bleeds.

Comment

Originally posted by zora04 View Post
      This did not work for me. I had a herniated disc L5/S1. I put it off 7 yrs going through countless nerve burns and spinal injections. After time they did nothing for me. My last MRI should no disc material at L5. I underwent a ALIF spinal fusion in March of this year. It was my only option. I have had good success up to this point. However, a major surgery like this was terrible. 2 weeks in the hospital, and terrible pain due to the spinal fusion. I now have plates holding my spine together.

If I would have went earlier, it would have been the evasive scope procedure. I was in bed for 2 months, and won't be released to full duty until March of next year.

I definitely would have handled things different if I would have known the big picture.
      A fusion is my ultimate fear. So many horror stories. From the recovery time to loss of mobility.

My surgery was a day surgery, in and out in a few hours. I was walking the same day. 2 days worth of bed rest and I was back to work (no physical labor for 2 weeks). I had to hitch a ride as I wasn't cleared to drive until after my first check up. My incision is 1-1.5" long. For the most part a painless procedure!
      Originally posted by Leah
      Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
        A fusion is my ultimate fear. So many horror stories. From the recovery time to loss of mobility.

My surgery was a day surgery, in and out in a few hours. I was walking the same day. 2 days worth of bed rest and I was back to work (no physical labor for 2 weeks). I had to hitch a ride as I wasn't cleared to drive until after my first check up. My incision is 1-1.5" long. For the most part a painless procedure!
        Eh, I had a double fusion on L4/L5 and L5/S1 and am much better off for it.

Of course, it did take a while for me to get over everything and go back to work, and I did lose some range of motion (I can't bend over and touch my toes), but what the hell. I couldn't stand or walk for more than about 15 minutes at a time due to the herniated and torn discs, so I didn't really have much choice.

Comment

Just left my doctor for a 3 month check up, this is what I have to say about it on FB regarding the reclassification of hydrocodone:

So, now I get to drive to South Arlington to pick up a prescription every single month. In addition, Walgreens doesn't even HAVE the prescription, because they renamed it, and neither do any of their other stores in the area. Thanks a lot, DEA. Punishing normal people because *gasp* some people abuse prescription drugs. You know, because the war on drugs has been such a huge success and all. Fucking incompetent bureaucratic ass covering morons.

I'm so fucking irritated at all this stupid bullshit. The DEA and the TSA need to be defunded and eliminated. Shit like this makes me hate this fucking country.

Comment

Glad this thread exist! I can't get my insurance to pay for a MRI. I guess I need to go to one of your Dr's, Or Tony Romo's he seems fine . I just want to know what I have and I don't think I should have to pay for a stinking MRI. Been to Texas Back Institute in Southlake 5 times or so over the past few years. They always say the same thing. Lets take an X Ray and they never find shit. Tell me come back when it last for a week or so. Been this way for about 3 years. I know I Have a problem but its random. Dropped my kid the other day because of it, glad it was only on his bed.

Comment

Originally posted by TX21 View Post
              Glad this thread exist! I can't get my insurance to pay for a MRI. I guess I need to go to one of your Dr's, Or Tony Romo's he seems fine . I just want to know what I have and I don't think I should have to pay for a stinking MRI. Been to Texas Back Institute in Southlake 5 times or so over the past few years. They always say the same thing. Lets take an X Ray and they never find shit. Tell me come back when it last for a week or so. Been this way for about 3 years. I know I Have a problem but its random. Dropped my kid the other day because of it, glad it was only on his bed.
              I take it the xrays didn't indicate any kind of loss of disk height?

It could be a pinched nerve. Certain movements putting pressure on the nerve and causing the issue?

When I had an xray done, I was complaining of hip pain. All the xray indicated was a loss of disk height, they didn't know it was herniated and more serious until they did an MRI

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                I take it the xrays didn't indicate any kind of loss of disk height?

It could be a pinched nerve. Certain movements putting pressure on the nerve and causing the issue?

When I had an xray done, I was complaining of hip pain. All the xray indicated was a loss of disk height, they didn't know it was herniated and more serious until they did an MRI
                Correct. At this point I don't know what it is. Nor does TBI. Only it hurts when I bend forward sometimes, or cough or sneeze. I can support my upper body when I have something to do so and I am fine. But if I have to cough, or bend over a certain with nothing around me I have to quickly squat before I can do anything or I pay the price.

Comment

Originally posted by TX21 View Post

If a doctor has recommended you get an MRI your insurance should cover it in most cases. Did you dispute their refusal? I know MRI's suck as I've had a few of them, but I've seen a lot of insurance companies try and deny them. Mine did on my last one. Get the doctors and the MRI place involved. Whoever is doing the MRI will want that big check, and do as much as they can to get it approved. And in most cases an xray isn't going to show them jack shit.

Comment

If a doctor has recommended you get an MRI your insurance should cover it in most cases. Did you dispute their refusal? I know MRI's suck as I've had a few of them, but I've seen a lot of insurance companies try and deny them. Mine did on my last one. Get the doctors and the MRI place involved. Whoever is doing the MRI will want that big check, and do as much as they can to get it approved. And in most cases an xray isn't going to show them jack shit.
                    Pretty much this. I didn't have to fight for my MRI, but I know people who have. I had to come out of pocket ~$700 for both of mine due to deductibles.

Comment

TBI said I my insurance won't pay for it. Guess I need to try again its been about three months since I last went.

Comment

I am quickly approaching surgery as an only option for an S1/L5 herniation that I have had for 12 years. I have managed it myself over the years with core strength, inversion table, and chiro/massage care. For about the last two years those things have helped less and less. I have been having some other problem areas for the last 2 years so I decided it was time to go back to the doc and get an updated diagnosis.

The S1/L5 disc has deteriorated from 11.5mm to just under 4mm. I have a herniated disc in my neck at C6/C7. I also have a herniation at T12/L1. In the last month I have had two steroid epidurals in my neck but they really have done nothing. I am torn at what to do next because they all cant be treated simultaneously. I believe the S1/L5 has become the most pressing need since it has deteriorated so much. I do not have pain in that direct area but I do have major issues in my hips, knees, and feet my doc says are all due to the disc as well as about 20% nerve and strength loss.

The maddening thing for me is if I get a fusion done on the S1/L5 and the recovery is slow it may be many months before I can address the other two areas. They both cause me issues 100% of the time also so waiting many months if not longer to get those addressed is a situation I can't wrap my head around. The thought of leaving my amazing job and salary for disability that long also scares me. I have seen 1st hand to many back surgeries gone bad so facing 3 in a row leaves lots of possibilities for failure.
                        Last edited by dmh165638; 12-31-2014, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Just left my doctor for a 3 month check up, this is what I have to say about it on FB regarding the reclassification of hydrocodone:

So, now I get to drive to South Arlington to pick up a prescription every single month. In addition, Walgreens doesn't even HAVE the prescription, because they renamed it, and neither do any of their other stores in the area. Thanks a lot, DEA. Punishing normal people because *gasp* some people abuse prescription drugs. You know, because the war on drugs has been such a huge success and all. Fucking incompetent bureaucratic ass covering morons.

I'm so fucking irritated at all this stupid bullshit. The DEA and the TSA need to be defunded and eliminated. Shit like this makes me hate this fucking country.
                          Similar issues down here in my area. I've been on Norco/Hydrocodone since Dec 2010 due to lower back issues along with a muscle relaxer and anti-inflammant. I was only going to the Dr every 90 days for refills, but in Oct that changed to requiring a new prescription every time. Which also means a urine sample every visit. Insurance for some reason wasn't covering the Toxicology place that took the samples and I received like $1500 in bills. Asked my doctor about it this Monday and he said, "Oh just throw those bills away. That company makes their money off insurance and doesn't expect to get paid by the individuals." I was kind of in shock and not wanting my credit screwed up, we'll just send them like $5 a month to keep them off our backs.

As far as my back pain goes, In probably 2008 I had an MRI done due to lower back issues and at the time they said I had a 6mm bulging disc around L4/L5 area. I tried various treatments with some physical therapy and chiropractic stuff and was getting by on just over the counter pain relievers. In Nov 2010, I over extended sitting a 45 lbs printer in the back of a somewhat low riding Ford Windstar van and pulled something. I felt kind of a pop and knew it would hurt later. I wore a back brace off/on for a couple weeks and stayed on Ibuprofen. Then one day after Thanksgiving I spent the day putting up Christmas lights and was up and down on the ground and on ladders most of the day. I was wearing a back support. The next morning I literally could not get out of bed. I had to holler for my wife to come and help me out and to the restroom. Then in the restroom I couldn't even clean up (yes gross, but just trying to give an idea of how bad it was). Basically I was having muscle spasms (though I didn't know that's what it was at the time). One wrong move and all the muscles in my lower back would "lock up" and it took everything I had just to sit still and breathe.

I had already made an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon due to the issues that started earlier in the month and at that point my regular family physician had already given me a prescription for Hydrocodone and Tyzanidine. Well, when I went to this Dr, I was wearing two back braces and on crutches because I could barely get around. He comes in the room and asks me to sit up on the table, I literally had to ask him if he was serious due to my physical condition. So after a couple minutes of struggling I finally was able to get up on the table. His opinion was that I was having muscle spasms and needed Physical Therapy. He didn't even want to order an MRI, but I had shown him my MRI from 2008 and told him I want another one to make sure nothing has changed and gotten worse before I started doing PT. The new MRI from 2010 if they read it right or did it right showed the bulge had decreased down to 3mm. So I proceeded with physical therapy. Now the problem is, this new doctor's prescription was for 1/2 the dosage I was getting from my family doctor. I went through his prescription in like a week because I was having to pop 3 pills at a time to get any kind of relief. I went back to him for a refill and he only gave me a "15 day" supply of the same weak prescription and told me to see a Pain Management Doctor. I already had made an apt with a PM Dr, but was two weeks out for the appointment. I went through the new script in like 3 days and was having to get pills from family members. I was having several "spasms" a day. At the PT office, they had me get up on a table (again I wore two back braces and walked on crutches to get into this place). After a struggle I'm on the table and get a treatment with the tens unit and I believe a cold pack. When I go to get off the table I had another spasm and essentially just locked up with my chest/abdomen on the table and my legs hanging off. I was in tears the pain was so bad. The poor PT employees were trying to help me and I had to just make them leave me alone. I stood/layed there for a few minutes and finally was able to get up.

So after a few painful PT appointments I finally got in to see a Pain Management Doctor and he scheduled me to come in the very next day for the cortisone injection. I got the injection and was immediately feeling better. Still sore as can be, but no more muscle spasms. Then I had like 6 weeks of PT and stayed on a steady regiment 4 times a day of HC and Tyzanidine. I want to say we did another injection about a month later or so, then I went around a year without needing an injection, but I was steady on the pills.

I went from 2010 to around April 2014 basically staying somewhat steady on the hydrocodone and muscle relaxer and had about 1 cortisone injection a year. In April 2014 we tried the nerve burning procedure. I can't really say that it helped at all. I've been able to cut down on my pain pills to just two sets a day instead of 3 or 4, but I still need them for my more active part of the day. I started running low on meds the last few weeks when I failed to call and make a refill appointment on time and had to stretch an extra two weeks. So that said over the last few weeks I've been able to stretch it down to just one set of pills a day and used Ibuprofen or Tylenol to get me by the rest of the day. I just saw the Dr Monday, so I've got my refills and had him increase the pill amount from 90 to 120, mainly so that I could stretch longer between appointments and stay on a 2 or 3 a day routine.

I still don't like having to take all the crap, but it's what I've got to do to have a somewhat normal lifestyle and be active with my kids. I haven't had an MRI since 2010, and at that time they said surgery isn't an option for me since it was only a "3mm" bulge. I can't say PT really helped me because I wasn't willing to keep doing the exercises at home. Chiropractic didn't really help any either. So I don't know what other options I have besides stretching and working out to try and build up the core muscles. I'm not in the best shape. I'm 5'11" and about 235-240 lbs. My sister bought me another tandem skydive jump for Christmas, so I've got to drop at least 20 lbs before I can do that, so I'm planning to start decreasing my Dr Pepper intake and stick to just one plate at dinner time, along with starting to stretch and exercise a bit hopefully every day.

Now fast forward to today, I forgot to grab my pills before I left for work this morning, so I'm sitting here in my office chair hurting and the only meds I have here is Ibuprofen. Gonna be a long day LOL.

BTW there is a site I found called healingwell.com. I haven't been on it in a while, but it looks like a good place to discuss your pain issues with others with the same problems and see what works for them and what doesn't.
                          Carl S.
                          2014 Ruby Red Premium GT A6, stock for now
                          80 Coupe, Stroked 9.2" Windsor, Yates C3, Dominator, glide, 9.60s n/a, 1.27 sixty 5.48@127.8 nitrous on radials.
                          9.32@128 pedaling it half track
                          sigpic

Comment

Holy crap I wrote a book LOL. Of course I'm sure many of you could as well. Back Pain Sucks!
                            Carl S.
                            2014 Ruby Red Premium GT A6, stock for now
                            80 Coupe, Stroked 9.2" Windsor, Yates C3, Dominator, glide, 9.60s n/a, 1.27 sixty 5.48@127.8 nitrous on radials.
                            9.32@128 pedaling it half track
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by White90GT View Post
                              Holy crap I wrote a book LOL. Of course I'm sure many of you could as well. Back Pain Sucks!
                              I'll write you a book back, no worries.

Dude, I've been through some of that same shit, but luckily I haven't had the problem with prescriptions. They drug test you every visit? That seems crazy. I had 1 drug test at the beginning when I went to a specialist back in mid 2013. I went also went to a pain management place a few times.

The last time I was in there (PM) there was a guy screaming at the employees about his ineffective prescriptions, because they wouldn't give him anything else. It was pretty obvious the guy was in serious pain and frustrated, I know the body language of that all too well. After he left of course all the employees openly started talking shit about him. This is the type of thing people in pain face. The people who are supposed to help you don't take you seriously, then turn around and treat you like you're just trying to get meds so you can turn around and sell them. Even worse, if you decide this is the case and switch doctors, they then accuse you of "Doctor Shopping," and it becomes even harder to get the meds you need. The cards are stacked against anyone in chronic pain. All you can really do is do everything they tell you to a T and hope you don't have a hardass as a doctor. I've found women practitioners to be much more understanding, also. Male doctors seem to expect you to rub some dirt on it and get back to rowing with the rest of the slaves.

It took quite a few visits before I got taken seriously and they started giving me 3 10 hydros a day. That's now up to 4. That (combined with the cyclo and gabapentin) keeps me able to (mostly) keep up with the interior of my house and go grocery shopping (which is a PITA), and that's about it. I hardly ever leave the house any more, but I won't complain about that. That's as much a result of a lot of lifestyle changes I was already making combined with the pain. Yesterday was the 13 year anniversary of the wreak I could have died in. Luckily I didn't think about it until mid afternoon, so I wasn't lost in it all day.

I've had the cortisone shots in my neck, a few epidural spinal injections near my spinal cord in my neck, the facet block in my lower back. I've been to chiropractors, PT, and even tried a few somewhat dubious "cures" that as I suspected accomplished little. I even had a therapeutic hot tub installed on my patio. About the only thing I haven't tried at this point is acupuncture.

I'm sorry you're in pain man. I'm even sorrier about the fucking you've taken with doctors and insurance companies. I've had some issues there as well, but I've resolved most of them with my charming personality. I really could go on and on about this shit, but you get the point. I'm going to check out that site later. Thanks for the link.

Comment

just eat a pot brownie and man up, thats what my doctor told me to do

Or try some yoga and a nice walk everyday
                                Big Rooster Racing
                                1985 Mustang GT

Comment

Working...
                                X