abandoned car question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• abandoned car question

Any one know if there is a law or something for abandoned cars.. For example there is a car parked in a friends parking garage that has been left there for over a year. It has never been touched except for people drawing in the dust. Is there any thing someone can do to claim it or anything. I think I heard about something like that but I could be wrong.

State?

Comment

Texas

Comment

Did you do work on it there? File a mechanic's lien on it.

Comment

Originally posted by kanetrain View Post
          Need to notify the registered owner and or lien holder demanding payment of the work done within 30days after completion of work.

Comment

I'm not at work, or else ill give you the exact info on how to go about this. Best thing i can suggest is notify the last registered owner on it.
            Have a VIN?

Comment

Dude, just take it, it's yours.
              When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Finders keepers!

Comment

Just piss on it and lay claim to it.

Comment

Part it out

Comment

You didn't build that! That's not yours!
                      Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
                      Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

What make/model is it?

Comment

Originally posted by kanetrain View Post
                          There's nothing to file since presumably work was done to it and it never left the garage. It's called a possessory lien and the lien is perfected by mere possession based on it never leaving the garage. M&M liens and filings are something completely different.

Originally posted by sosoe View Post
                          Need to notify the registered owner and or lien holder demanding payment of the work done within 30days after completion of work.
                          The 30 days after completion part isn't correct. I have clients that have kept cars/ heavy equipment/etc. for years. All you have to do is send the registered owner and all lien holders notice of claiming the lien, if there's no response you send another notice telling them when and where the public sale will take place (i.e. the garage), post an ad in the paper prior to the sale and then sell it at the public sale. If nobody shows up, you bid it in yourself for the amount that's owed for the work on the car and you become the owner. My clients always handle getting the new title and all that, so I'm not exactly sure how to do that.

It's really simple. What's the car worth?

Comment

Don't do it! It's the bait car yo!

Comment

Burn it.

Comment

Working...
                              X