a smokers home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a smokers home

We found a house we really want, but the previous owner was a heavy smoker. So I am hoping someone can give me tips on what to look for to make sure that smell wont come back.

The house has been completely carpeted and the walls have been painted. This is a 2800 sqft house. So there are tons of walls. My concern is the paint. How do I know they painted the walls and didnt treat them for the nicotine or tar or whatever that shit Is that gets on the walls? I don't want to have to go back and treat the walls and paint again.

I am also contemplating making the seller pay for cleaning the ac unit and vents.

What are your guys thoughts?

If they sprayed EVERYTHING with Kilz to seal it, no issues. If they didnt, it will seem through and discolor the paint, and the smell will remain.
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

and I've always asked for the ac and vents to be serviced when buying
      1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
        If they sprayed EVERYTHING with Kilz to seal it, no issues. If they didnt, it will seem through and discolor the paint, and the smell will remain.
        I'll bet $100 they didn't Kilz all the walls. Way too expensive.

Comment

I told my realtor I need to know if they used killz. Not sure if there Is a way to verify it if they say yes.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
            I told my realtor I need to know if they used killz. Not sure if there Is a way to verify it if they say yes.
            I could tell very easy, there was a pile of cans in the garage.
            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Go rent a negative air/ ozone machine, problem solved.
              Wanna see my care face???

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                I could tell very easy, there was a pile of cans in the garage.
                I dont think they left any paint cans lol. The house doesn't stink right now, but the paint is fresh. How long before it would start smelling again?

Comment

I'm highly sensitive to smoke (likely moreso than my wife, but she immediately has sinus issues around it).

I'd skip the house. You're going to smell it forever. One of my coworkers stopped smoking 6 months ago and he opened his laptop bag last week and I asked if he'd started smoking again. He hadn't but the smell is still there. If you buy that house, you're going to open a cabinet or something some day and poof out will come the smell of smoke.

Comment

You're never going to get rid of that smell... yack!

Comment

Yep it never goes away. I am a nasty smoker too however I never smoke indoors. Not in my house nor do I get a smoking room at a hotel. I can tell if people have smoked inside somewhere. I can't imagine years of smoked in funk. There are a ton of houses out there and that would be one less worry.

Comment

Most nicer hotels are all smoke-free now, but I can always tell if I'm in a room that used to be a smoking room...
                        - Darrell

1993 LX - Reef Blue R331ci
                        1993 Cobra #199 - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by GE View Post
                          You're never going to get rid of that smell... yack!

This!

Comment

Originally posted by Blakeski View Post
                            Go rent a negative air/ ozone machine, problem solved.
                            This. How do you guys think we used to get the smoke smell out of houses that had fires in them?

Comment

Kilz, fresh paint, new carpet/pad, all ducts and A/C cleaned, ozone machine and you might get it all out.
                              Originally posted by Silverback
                              Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Working...
                              X