Literature question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Literature question

I was discussing with the wife about some of our favorite books and I mentioned mine would have to be Fahrenheit 451 and she just looked at me like I was sprouting a horn. While it took a few seconds to remember her culture and education is vastly different than mine, it got me to thinking:

Who else has read this book? Evidently, I'm the only one of my friends who even knows it exists.
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

I was obsessed with Fahrenheit 451 as a teenager. I've not read it many years. I absolutely love dystopian novels.
    Men have become the tools of their tools.
    -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

It's brilliant and I'm trying to get her to read it.

Comment

Douse her favorite books in kerosene and light them up. Shit, I need to reread it.
        -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I can see it happening here. Books made illegal, wall sized TV's and government agents that come to your home and burn it down if you have contraband

Comment

It was on our required reading in highschool.

Comment

I was thinking of the wrong "fahrenheit"
              Originally posted by talisman
              I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
              Originally posted by AdamLX
              If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
              Originally posted by Broncojohnny
              Because fuck you, that's why
              Originally posted by 80coupe
              nice dick, Idrivea4banger
              Originally posted by Rick Modena
              ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
              Originally posted by Jester
              Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                I can see it happening here. Books made illegal, wall sized TV's and government agents that come to your home and burn it down if you have contraband
                We've just about got the wall sized TVs! I don't see books becoming illicit any time soon without other drastic changes to our sociopolitical climate, first. I took the book bans as more metaphorical for stopping exchange of ideas - discourse and free thought.
                -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I take it as removing anything of real information. What are on most shelves? "Snookie had a baby" and "We love Obama" and "Batboy shows up at the White House with Obama's birth certificate."

You actually have to look for a real book nowdays.

Comment

I take it as removing anything of real information. What are on most shelves? "Snookie had a baby" and "We love Obama" and "Batboy shows up at the White House with Obama's birth certificate."

You actually have to look for a real book nowdays.
                    True, the TVs were the method of keeping people distracted, and that's not dissimilar to today, itself. Keep everyone distracted with trivia and no one knows to question what they're not being told.
                    -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I read it in High School. It's a good book, but not my favorite. In all honesty "Where the Red Fern Grows" is my favorite book that I've read. Why? Because it hits on all points of being a man, and in general a good person.
                      "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Good book. That and "A separate piece."

Comment

Wasn't part of my required reading, but I finally got around to it a few years ago. Great book.

Comment

Heard of it but never read it. Get to it when I get back.
                            De Oppresso Liber.

Comment

Good book. That and "A separate piece."
                              A Separate Peace
                              ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Working...
                              X