Any reco on a plasma cutter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any reco on a plasma cutter?

I am thinking of finally getting a plasma cutter. I got a little bonus I wasn't expecting and figured I'd put it toward one. Its seldom I would need to cut anything thicker than 3/8" that I can imagine. I see the entry level models all seem to tout being able to cut up to 3/8". WHat happens if you tried to cut any thicker?

I see Eastwood has one for about $650. I thought I had heard there was actually some Chinese models that were pretty good. I'm not a fab shop so its not seeing every day commercial duty.

Community Forum for Welding Professionals and Enthusiasts To Interact and Learn - Free

you will find more info over there than here..
    THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Or at least try the subforum here with the bulk of the welders:

Comment

I have several in my shop at work , there all Hyperthem brand. I got a 1000( 60 amp ), 1250 (80 amp) and a 1650 ( 100 amp ) the 1650 is use on the CNC plasma table. these models range from $2500.00 to $5000.00 each .the 1650 will cut up to 1" at 15 IPM ( inches per minute ) if you try to cut to thick of material , more than your machine can handle it will blow back on you and burn you in the process. its all about the piercing , usually if it will pierce the metal it will cut it fine although you will have to adjust your travel speed for the thickness you are cutting.hope this helps

Comment

I have a Matco pcs20 (220volt) plasma for sale if you're interested. $275. Works great.

Comment

Get a Hypertherm, we have a powermax 800 that works great and have had it over 10 years.
            sigpic
            1987 Mustang LX Coupe, yes it's slow
            1985 Mustang LX Coupe, not slow

Comment

We have a hypertherm and it works really well, I ordered it from Welders direct last year. Seems like there is someone here on the board that sells welding supplies though.

Family owned and operated distributor of Industrial, Medical, Specialty, Food Grade and Bulk Gases. Safety Supplies, Welding Equipment, Rental, and Repair.

Comment

Hpertherm, esab, miller, most of the name brand ones are good. Don't buy chinese, the prices are tempting, but they're crap and parts can be near impossible to find. Nothing sucks worse than not being able to use a machine when you suddenly need it and discover you can't readily get consumables for it.

As longshot said, if you try and cut thicker material than you are rated for it's going to make a mess. If you can, try to get one rated higher than you think you will need, as there will always be that one time when you suddenly have to cut something thick and can't

Try not to buy the cutters with built in compressors, just one more part to break. Especially don't buy a draggun, had a few of those and never cared much for them

If you're not set on buying new, watch craigslist and you can find smokin deals from time to time.

Comment

Save your money and rent one when you need it or find another method of cutting. I had one for a while ( a miller) and it made a mess of everything. I spent more time cleaning up the slag and mess than it saved in cutting time, not to mention what all it caught on fire. For vehicle work, a cut off wheel works a lot better and is WAY easier to clean up.

Just my $0.02.

Comment

Working...
                  X