Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Becoming a Tattoo artist: what's the "in"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Becoming a Tattoo artist: what's the "in"?

I've designed a bunch of tattoos for people (a couple on this board and a couple more coming) and I've looked at trying my hand at doing the artwork on the permanent end. How does one go about the apprenticeship and learning process?
    Originally posted by PGreenCobra
    I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
    Originally posted by Trip McNeely
    Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
    dont downshift!!
    Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

there is a guy in my academy selling a tattoo gun if u are interested

Originally posted by DOHCTR
    You sir are the poster child for "Go big or go home"!

Comment

Good luck. Its a awesome skill to know, even if ill never have a tat in my life. I really appreciate the art. Not the stupid shit the real art.

Comment

I imagine drawing artwork on paper is probably a lot easier than on a human being. Good luck with that.

Comment

Hope you like drawing butterflies and stars.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
            Good luck. Its a awesome skill to know, even if ill never have a tat in my life. I really appreciate the art. Not the stupid shit the real art.
            Well that's the thing. I know I'd start out doing to the stupid stencil easy shit. But I love black/white work (pen and pencil art) and I am good with shading and perspective. I'd like to do traditional work and intricate pieces that tie in old work and/or cover ups.
            I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
            dont downshift!!

Comment

Are you good at unicorns and skulls, cause I really want a unicorn skull on my chest.

Comment

If you really want to do it you basically have to work full time for free.

Thats all ive ever seen out of the people i knew who worked in tat shops.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
                  If you really want to do it you basically have to work full time for free.

Thats all ive ever seen out of the people i knew who worked in tat shops.
                  What's the purpose of working for free? Is it the experience and networking? Do they have a 'program' where you work and then become promoted to a paid artist?
                  dont downshift!!

Comment

Thats just the two people i know. They worked basically for free, but in turn where taught how to tat.

Comment

Call up Ami James and tell him you're gonna ink him out of town.

Comment

Let me see some of your other designs and maybe I'll hire you to design mine.
                        How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Most people I know that do it all started by getting the equipment and practicing on watermelons and pumpkins.

Comment

You basically have to be a shop bitch for several years while the artist who takes you under his wing teaches you how to tattoo. There may be other ways than this but I have had about 6 or 7 different tattoo artists and this was how they learned.

Comment

Originally posted by jasone View Post
                              You basically have to be a shop bitch for several years while the artist who takes you under his wing teaches you how to tattoo. There may be other ways than this but I have had about 6 or 7 different tattoo artists and this was how they learned.
                              THIS. My budy runs a good shop out here and thats how they do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X