2009 Corolla, im stumped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 Corolla, im stumped

My mom told me her car won't start. As posted its a 2009 corrolla way under the average miles. The only thing I can think of for it not turning over is the battery. She takes it in monthly for the tune up. You would think this would be something they would keep track of. How in the hell will a 2 year old car not start???? Is this something I can take up with the dealership?? Everything else comes on except the car itself. The fucked up part is the car is under warranty all the way in Toyota of Lewisville.
    Originally posted by talisman
    I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
    Originally posted by AdamLX
    If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
    Originally posted by Broncojohnny
    Because fuck you, that's why
    Originally posted by 80coupe
    nice dick, Idrivea4banger
    Originally posted by Rick Modena
    ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
    Originally posted by Jester
    Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

If it is under factory warranty, can't you take it to any toyota dealership?

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny_Stang View Post
      If it is under factory warranty, can't you take it to any toyota dealership?
      Thats what I was thinking. The factory gives the warranty, not the dealer. The dealer just sells you the extended warranty if you want it.

Comment

Does it click or anything? Im betting its either battery, cables or fuckup in anti theft system in that order. A battery going bad in Tx in 2 years isnt unheard of, especially with the wacky weather we have had the past couple years. Doubtfull but not unheard of.

Comment

Start with the basics and try jump it off. Its more than likely the battery. I see 2-3 year batteries replaced almost every day.

6-25-10 RIP Chloe Rene Daddy loves you always

78 Suburban (slammed with LS in future)
          54 Olds 88 2dr HT
          12 Camaro SS convertible

Comment

The PCM actually starts the car in those, the ignition switch is a momentary style (might as well be a push button but it uses the key). It could easily be something other than a battery. I'd start with that though, check the voltage at the battery (it's in the trunk) and if it's 12+ volts it's not the problem.

Comment

My 2008 F-150 with 12,000 miles on it had its battery go bad a few months ago. Battery barely made it two years after I bought the truck. I admit I did not drive it as much as the new daily drive I have. There was no sign of the battery getting weak. Drove it one day and the next morning, it was so dead I could not charge it. A quick trip to Auto Zone solved the problem for another two or so years!
              Mustangs previously owned:
              1967 Coupe V8 (My first car)
              1992 LX AOD
              1993 LX Drag Car
              1995 GTS
              1997 Cobra
              2000 Cobra R

2002 Corvette C5 A4 10.64@ 127.1
              Undercover SC Dragster 8.10's

In the garage now....
              2016 Honda Accord Touring
              2015 F-150 Silver 5.0 XLT SuperCrew, like new condition

Retired 2008 after 41 years as an EE at LTV (Garland)/TI/Raytheon. Enjoying ham radio now.

Comment

Dealerships run batteries on new cars dead all the time especially if the vehicle is on the lot very long. Once dead, they're never the same (just like zombies).

Comment

Originally posted by EW View Post
                  Dealerships run batteries on new cars dead all the time especially if the vehicle is on the lot very long. Once dead, they're never the same (just like zombies).
                  A zombie Corrolla would be sahweet! It would last forever!!!

Comment

Like said above, jump it. If you have a voltage meter, put it on the battery when it is running. Should be around 14 volts with a good altenater.(sp?) That will tell you if it is good or not. Kill the car, watch the dome light when you try to restart it. If it is not on at all, you have a corrosion connection problem, if it dims or goes out when you turn the key, battery is dead.

You can put the meter on the battery while someone tries to crank it. It might show 12 volts, but when the key is turned if it drops to 6 volts or below, then you have a dead cell in the battery.

Always watch the dome light, it tells you a lot about the problem.

Comment

I crank it, it wants to turn over but then stops.
                      I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
                      If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.

Comment

Originally posted by idrivea4banger View Post
                        I crank it, it wants to turn over but then stops.
                        Sounds like a dead cell in the battery if it will crank and then stop. Just not enough oomph to kick that flywheel hard enough. You try jumping it yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon-k View Post
                          Sounds like a dead cell in the battery if it will crank and then stop. Just not enough oomph to kick that flywheel hard enough. You try jumping it yet?
                          I'm jumping it right now. I turn the key once and I can hear it want to start up and it continues by itself. Then stops. Everything else in the car works. I looked at the top of the battery and it has the green bulb.

Comment

monthly tune up's! really???

Originally posted by idrivea4banger View Post
                            I'm jumping it right now. I turn the key once and I can hear it want to start up and it continues by itself.Then stops. Everything else in the car works. I looked at the top of the battery and it has the green bulb.
                            take it out and go have it tested

Comment

It came on as I continued to crank it, some bluish white smoke came out. Dropped it off at Toyota of Irving. Engine flooded???

Comment

Working...
                              X