1/4 cup cooking oil or 1/4 lb. suet
      1 lb. beef round, coarse chili grind
      1 lb. beef chuck, coarse chili grind
      8-oz. can tomato sauce
      12 oz. beer
      1/4 cup ground hot red chile*
      2 medium cloves garlic, minced
      1 small onion, finely chopped
      1-1/4 tsp. dried oregano (preferably Mexican)
      1/2 tsp. paprika
      1-1/2 tsp. ground cumin
      1-1/4 tsp. salt
      1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
      3/4 lb. Monterey jack cheese, grated

Melt suet or heat the oil in a heavy 3-quart (or larger) pot over medium-high heat. Remove the unrendered suet and crumble meat into the pot. Break up any lumps with a fork and cook, stirring occasionally, until meat is evenly browned. Add tomato sauce, beer, chile, garlic, onion, oregano, paprika, 1 t. of the cumin, and salt. Stir to blend and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding cayenne pepper. Simmer uncovered 1 hour longer. Stir in the cheese and the remaining 1/2 t. cumin. Simmer 1/2 hour longer, stirring often to keep cheese from burning.

* The cookbook really calls for this much, but unless you have a taste for fire, use less! I use half this amount, and I really like hot food.
      I usually just buy the bag, but this is supposedly the recipe. I'll have to give this a shot some time.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
        no frijoles!
        This!!

Comment

Before the frijoles/ no frijoles debate starts, i like it either way. Depends on my mood. But here is one with that i use alot every year.

2 pounds ground beef chuck
          1 pound bulk Italian sausage
          3 (15 ounce) cans chili beans, drained
          1 (15 ounce) can chili beans in spicy sauce
          2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
          1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
          1 large yellow onion, chopped
          3 stalks celery, chopped
          1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
          1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
          2 green chile peppers, seeded and chopped
          1 tablespoon bacon bits
          4 cubes beef bouillon
          1/2 cup beer
          1/4 cup chili powder
          1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
          1 tablespoon minced garlic
          1 tablespoon dried oregano
          2 teaspoons ground cumin
          2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce (e.g. Tabascoâ„¢)
          1 teaspoon dried basil
          1 teaspoon salt
          1 teaspoon ground black pepper
          1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
          1 teaspoon paprika
          1 teaspoon white sugar
          1 (10.5 ounce) bag corn chips such as Fritos®
          1 (8 ounce) package shredded Cheddar cheese
          Directions
          1.Heat a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Crumble the ground chuck and sausage into the hot pan, and cook until evenly browned. Drain off excess grease.
          2.Pour in the chili beans, spicy chili beans, diced tomatoes and tomato paste. Add the onion, celery, green and red bell peppers, chile peppers, bacon bits, bouillon, and beer. Season with chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, oregano, cumin, hot pepper sauce, basil, salt, pepper, cayenne, paprika, and sugar. Stir to blend, then cover and simmer over low heat for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
          3.After 2 hours, taste, and adjust salt, pepper, and chili powder if necessary. The longer the chili simmers, the better it will taste. Remove from heat and serve, or refrigerate, and serve the next day.

Comment

Whatever you do, put TONS OF BEANS!!!

Comment

If you like STEW (chili w/beans), google guy fieri's dragonbreath recipe. Youve been warned, it makes a ton. I skip out in the double fried fries though, and use an assortment of peppers that varies from his.
              Originally posted by BradM
              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
              Originally posted by Leah
              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

I have never understood the whole "OMG chili shouldn't have beans in it !!!11!" thing. I love the stuff, beans or no beans.
                Originally posted by lincolnboy
                After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

If you want something "quick" , it's really hard to beat 2 alarm chili off the shelf. You really cant screw it up. I use every thing but the Masa.

Comment

I start with Wick Fowler's 2 Alarm, and just add a bunch of stuff to it. Peppers, diced tomatoes, garlic, etc. Oh, and I like some beans. Maybe one 15 oz can per 2 lbs of meat. Ranch Styles work fine. It's also good without, but they add a little extra texture and flavor. If you cook them in for a while they are soft and don't stand out much anyway.

Comment

Past winners from the Terlingua chili cook off. Just pick one.

Comment

Working...
                      X