Enlighten me about netbooks and tablets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enlighten me about netbooks and tablets

I don't latch on to the latest gadgets and I am fine with that, but I am in the market of getting either a tablet or netbook (smaller laptop? is that even the right term?)

I am not interested in something where I need to subscribe to plan like with a phone. I just want to use it like I do my laptop and run an OS like Win7 or maybe Ubuntu or another linux distro. I am under the impression that all the tablets are either Apple or Android. Do any of them even run other OS's? Am I limited to a netbook if I want that flexibility? If I were to look at a netbook, which ones are better than others? Prefer something with wireless card built in.

Your tablet options are for Android, Apple and now, Win RT for tablets.

What is your main purpose for said device? Knowing this will help us better advise you.

Saved and Texan by the Grace of God, Redneck by choice.

Comment

We have a Netbook we just cancelled service with from Verizon. It's just like a small laptop, but of course no DVD player on netbooks. If you want a cheap one, let me know, we no longer use it. Built in WiFi.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
        Your tablet options are for Android, Apple and now, Win RT for tablets.

What is your main purpose for said device? Knowing this will help us better advise you.

You can get windows 8 professional tablets as well

Comment

I've been kicking around the idea of a tablet for cake consults and order tracking. Primarily picture storage and excel/spread sheets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
          Originally posted by Leah
          Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

I don't have a tracking device (smart phone) and no plans to get one any time soon.

It will just be for leisure travel when i want to surf or watch a downloaded movie. Nothing major.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
              You can get windows 8 professional tablets as well
              True

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
              I've been kicking around the idea of a tablet for cake consults and order tracking. Primarily picture storage and excel/spread sheets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

You'd benefit from a 10" tab with a BT keyboard. A stylus would probably be beneficial as well.

Originally posted by Frank View Post
              I don't have a tracking device (smart phone) and no plans to get one any time soon.

It will just be for leisure travel when i want to surf or watch a downloaded movie. Nothing major.
              I'd look into the Nexus 7 then unless you plan on storing said movies on the device, then if point you to one with expandable storage(micro sd support), but stay in the 7" form factor.

Comment

iPad enough said

but the new windows surface looks very promising

Comment

Understand I DO NOT want an iPad or any Android device. I want the ability to load my own OS of my choosing. I am guessing all these tablets strictly run Android's OS, right? (aside from iPad of course)

Comment

Ultrabook

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
                    2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Well, with that said, what's your budget for said device?

Comment

You'd benefit from a 10" tab with a BT keyboard. A stylus would probably be beneficial as well.
                        How small are the BT keyboards these days?

Also, are any of the sub $200 tablets worth a dang? Or should I be looking at in the $300 plus range

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                          How small are the BT keyboards these days?

Also, are any of the sub $200 tablets worth a dang? Or should I be looking at in the $300 plus range
                          I don't believe any of the sub $200 models are worth the frustration the owner would endure from the cheap nand and low spec'd processor. There are some nice options in the $2-300 range in the 7"form factor, but like u stated before, you'd likely benefit more from a larger tablet. I'll see what I can find for you.

My wife has a really nice Logitech keyboard with her tab that is very portable and is able to utilize all the functions within ICS. Here's the current iteration of it. http://mobile.logitech.com/en-us/key...ndroid-win8-rt

Comment

I don't believe any of the sub $200 models are worth the frustration the owner would endure from the cheap nand and low spec'd processor. There are some nice options in the $2-300 range in the 7"form factor, but like u stated before, you'd likely benefit more from a larger tablet. I'll see what I can find for you.

My wife has a really nice Logitech keyboard with her tab that is very portable and is able to utilize all the functions within ICS. Here's the current iteration of it. http://mobile.logitech.com/en-us/key...ndroid-win8-rt

Thanks for the input. I've been thinking about it for some time. Business has been picking up here the past month and I'm hoping it carries into next year. If so, a more expensive tablet won't be a problem. I know, more than once, I've been on a wedding cake consult and thought how nice the size and portability of a tablet would be vs my 17" studio laptop

Comment

Check out the Asus Transformer Pad Infinity. It has a nice feature set and comes with good productivity software as well as native 32Gig storage.

Other than that, I'd say Nexus 10(not sure on the storage space) and I could probably find you a good office app.

Comment

Working...
                              X