Securing a detached shop/garage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Securing a detached shop/garage?

The FIL's shop was broken into a couple days ago. They got about $3000 worth of tools but there's still plenty left to be taken so it needs to be better secured. It's a 30x60 shop and maybe 30 yards from his back door. It's got a large rolling door at one end to get big things like tractors in and out and then at the opposite end is a regular door. They came in through the regular door.

So what do you guys with shops use? Right now there's just lights and locks. I can think of two things:

1. Some sort of alarm that would alert him inside the house.
    2. Wireless camera's that record onto a DVR inside his house.

Any suggestions for the two above? And any other suggestions welcome as well.

Whats your or your fil budget?

Comment

Originally posted by 03mustangdude View Post
      Whats your or your fil budget?
      Haven't asked but I'd guess somewhere in the $500 range. If it needs to be more than that and the cost is justified it's probably doable.

Comment

Get a guard dog and lock it in the shop at night...
        ./ ____ _ _\.
        (]]]_ o _[[[)
        \o_FORD_o/
        |__|.....|__|

God closes doors no man can open, God opens doors no man can close. Revelations 3:7-8

Comment

If he has ADT, they'll wire up the alarm to the house
          I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

SAMS club had some pretty good color video cameras with DVR; I think they came with 6 cameras, if I am not mistaken and the package was about $600 or $700. That is where I would start as even if you have an alarm it doesn't do much good if you don't have some kind of photographic evidence of who committed the crime.

Or landmines. You could always bury landmines.
            I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Guard dog. I have a detached workshop a doberman, and siberian husky. No one has gotten past the doberman.

Comment

Originally posted by stephen4785 View Post
                Guard dog. I have a detached workshop a doberman, and siberian husky. No one has gotten past the doberman.
                Step you're game up, Get A pitbull.
                Street car.

Comment

Park a tractor in front of the door, as close as your can to it, then leave via the roll-up door.
                  ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by DriveWayBuilt View Post
                    Step you're game up, Get A pitbull.
                    With AIDS.

Comment

I bought a security camera set up for 300. It is wired so you'd have to have electric I. The shop which I'm sure it does and if you have an Internet connection you can hook it up to the w. and view the cameras from a computer or smart phone
                      1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

$500 isn't much and cameras aren't going to stop a crackhead from breaking in.

Comment

I'm putting together a diy security system and picked this swann ads-191 from fry's for $15 after rebate last night. http://www.frys.com/product/6923257?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
                          This particular camera lets thieves know your are recording/watching important key feature. When motion is detected a loud 50dB warning message is released from the camera along with bright red and blue flashing LED warning lights. You can hook it up to the back of the tv and switch to that channel when you you wan to see what's going on, If you don't want to mess with a dvr.

Personally, I feel this type of security is just enough for you average bored teen/strung out druggy. I don't think anything will deter a determined professional criminal.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                            $500 isn't much and cameras aren't going to stop a crackhead from breaking in.
                            No but it will help in IDing them and catching them. It is a long shot on break ins like that, but having them on video gives you a much higher chance. Video also would not be the only thing I would do if I felt I needed to add security, but I think it would be the first step.
                            I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

another thicker frame to the regular door so it cant be broken open.

Comment

Working...
                              X