Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

School me on opening a small specialty used car lot.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School me on opening a small specialty used car lot.

Thinking about buying and selling some mid-range specialty type cars. Focusing mainly on desirable 3-5 year old used cars (nothing real high dollar, but cars that are desirable on some level and should be easy to finance). Probably start small and do it on the side at first to test the waters, would start by trying to pick up cars from private sellers mainly.

I know in Texas to sell cars you have to have a physical location (aka a lot) to be considered a dealer. I have a buddy who has some shop space in South Lake that he paints out of, could I sub-lease some space through him to satisfy that requirement? For the most part I'd probably keep the cars in my garage until I grew enough to need my own space.

What kind of insurance and overhead would I be looking at short term (say a car or 2 a month), then moving forward if it works out?

Any huge concerns or pitfalls I might be ignoring? I have some capital saved up as well as a investor, I'd most likely start with a car or 2 and try to roll the profits immediately back into the business while I continue to work full time. I have worked as a tech, done paint/body work, and generally am good with mechanics, I also have a degree in business administration.

Trying to get out of the corporate world and do something on my own, seems like a decent opportunity for someone with my skill set.

Thanks.

Buzzo in 3..2..1..

Comment

I know a few people that would sub a lot and just use it for a physical location/phone/signage and do the rest exactly how you are talking.

Comment

Do you or have you applied for dealers license? I thought that was one of the biggest hurdles in getting this going.

Comment

Originally posted by 95DRGT View Post
          Do you or have you applied for dealers license? I thought that was one of the biggest hurdles in getting this going.
          nope, i'm at square one with it right now. i know there are issues about having signage, phone, and physical location, but hadn't heard about it being some act of congress to get the license.

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
            nope, i'm at square one with it right now. i know there are issues about having signage, phone, and physical location, but hadn't heard about it being some act of congress to get the license.
            its not terrible to get it, lots of hoops to jump through, etc. You have to have the location set up already to apply.
            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
              its not terrible to get it, lots of hoops to jump through, etc. You have to have the location set up already to apply.
              Could I sub-lease from my buddy to satisfy this? If/when it gets off the ground I'd look to leasing my own space, but would need to be able to justify it and 1-2 cars really wouldn't be worth it.

Comment

yeah, you can set up at an established lot and to meet the requirements, and from what Ive heard, its very easy to change addresses.
                "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

My brother just signed on a lot Friday in McKinney, he makes it sound like it is an act of Congress to get a license. But your idea is what I'm doing too, I guess he is allowed two other people that can purchase from auctions as well from his license. Good luck to you, working for other people suck... wish I had the capital to quit and open a business for myself too.

Comment

I looked into doing this a few years ago, from what I remember there were requirements to have minimum number of paved parking spaces, office space, sign on the road and having your hours posted.

This might help

Comment

Originally posted by Crownline79 View Post
                      My brother just signed on a lot Friday in McKinney, he makes it sound like it is an act of Congress to get a license. But your idea is what I'm doing too, I guess he is allowed two other people that can purchase from auctions as well from his license. Good luck to you, working for other people suck... wish I had the capital to quit and open a business for myself too.
                      No shit? Where's he at (in Mckinney)? PM his contact details.

Comment

Just "whiteboy" your operation!!
                        Your allowed to buy n sell only a certain number of cars before being required a license. That is if you chAnge the titles into your name. If you don't then your golden buy and sell as many as u want.
                        Make good friends or connections at the bigger auction houses so u can purchase those cars that won't crank on for some reason .

Comment

Id avoid a "specialty" lot. you'll buy what you like and that's not necessarily what other people will like. If you want to bang out some bucks with a marginal pain in the neck I'd go tote the note.

Comment

Originally posted by dangerous_sep View Post
                            If you don't then your golden buy and sell as many as u want.
                            And hope to god you never fall under the scrutiny of the IRS.. Ask Al Capone. Tax evasion can be a bitch!

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                              And hope to god you never fall under the scrutiny of the IRS.. Ask Al Capone. Tax evasion can be a bitch!

Agreed. Im sure we are all honest in reporting our earned income. I know I am.

Comment

Working...
                              X