**Hitting up NYC for the first time and tips or suggestions?**

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• **Hitting up NYC for the first time and tips or suggestions?**

Next week were heading to New York City for a much needed vacation. We're goin with some family that has been a couple times so we will at least have somewhat of a clue about where shit is. But what are some places and eateries you suggest that are a cant miss. I'll be getting out of work at 4am and my flight is at 7am so my first day will consist of a few red bulls I'm sure. We are staying in Times Square at th Marriott I believe.

Of course the 9/11 memorial is top of the list as with the Statue of Liberty, Rockefeller Center, Central Park (daytime), maybe a broadway show and letterman. One thing I'd like to go isthe 121212concerrt they are having for Sandy Relief which features a who's who of musicians including The Who, lol. Concerts aren't really my thing but I think it would be badass to see all those musicians in the same arena in 1 night.

So if anybody has any tips or suggestions of some places or foods that are a cant miss or some that need to be avoided let me know.

Rudy

Start here

http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36955

Comment

Go north, the higher the street number, the more cred you'll earn.

Relive the Die Hard 3 with a sign in Harlem scene?

Comment

I think the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island are still closed until next year, at least per the website.

Rockefeller Center is a cluster fuck and is usually better at night when the tree is lit. Do any of the true tourist stuff like that during the week. The touristy spots on the weekends are a disaster. Buy any tickets you can ahead of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
          Go north, the higher the street number, the more cred you'll earn.

Relive the Die Hard 3 with a sign in Harlem scene?
          Nature boy here hates ****** now what we gone do bout dat?

Comment

Originally posted by AdamLX View Post
            I think the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island are still closed until next year, at least per the website.

Rockefeller Center is a cluster fuck and is usually better at night when the tree is lit. Do any of the true tourist stuff like that during the week. The touristy spots on the weekends are a disaster. Buy any tickets you can ahead of time.
            We are going Monday thru Thursday so that should take care of that but needless to say I'm sure there will be quite a bit of people down there around this time.

Comment

Rockefeller at 5 am is the best time to see the tree, get pictures, and then you can get in line for the Today Show around the corner.

Comment

For what it is worth I am from New York. You cannot miss seeing the 9/11 memorial as you have already stated. You MUST get tickets to see it in advance though. Go online now and get them. They are free. I cannot explain how peaceful and somber it is at the memorial. Security is nuts. There are over 10 security checkpoints before you get to enter the memorial itself.

If Ellis Island is closed, you can take the ferry (also free) that goes from Manhatten to Staten Island and it gets fairly close to it. Enought to get some decent photos of the Statue of Liberty. Once you get to Staten Island, return immediatly to Manhatten. There is nothing to see there.

Yankee Stadium is definately worth seeing if it is open to tours at the time you go.

The Bronx Zoo is awesome. Do not let the area scare you, it is not that bad by the zoo itself.

I am not sure what condition it is in due to the hurricane, but Coney Island is a pretty cool place. Spend some time going down the boardwalk there. Lots of cool little shops. There is also Nathan's. Home of Nathan's hot dogs and the 4th of July hot dog eating contest.

There is so much stuff to see in Times Square I cannot explain it all. You could easily spend days in Times Square. I will warn you to use the subways. Do not rent a car. IF you can find parking in the city, it is about $50 PER HOUR.

Madison Square Garden, The Waldorf Astoria, The Rock and Radio City Music Hall are all worth your time to check out. If you are going to see a play on Broadway, check out "The Book of Mormon." It is written by the creators of South Park and is absolutely hilarious.

Penn Station is worth a visit just for the historical value of it.

The Empire State Building is not really a big deal. If you want to go to the top of it you can. Personally, getting to the Rockefeller Center is better in my opinion.

The Museums there are also fantastic. The only one that sucks is the Smithsonian Museum for Native Americans. All the Smithsonian Museums are free, but the Native American one is terrible. There is nothing of value there. The rest of them in the area are amazing.

Bring LOTS of cash. Shit is expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by kennybo View Post
                  I will warn you to use the subways. Do not rent a car. IF you can find parking in the city, it is about $50 PER HOUR.
                  I've heard people say this and I don't buy it. I drive in Manhattan (and the rest of the boroughs) every other week, have for the past 4 years. An all day Muni-pass is $15 and there is plenty of street parking. And if I couldn't find any near Times, I'd park in Chelsea and either walk or cab.....but probably walk.

Comment

I'll reiterate from the other thread: if you want a damned good burger for stupid cheap, hit up the Burger Joint in the bottom of the Parker-Meridien. It's a bit of an experience as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X