Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying a home and close this Wed.... but..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a home and close this Wed.... but..

We are buying a house here in Ennis of course. We close on Wednesday. Now we have run into a snag. We put in the contract for them to "replace the roof". I drove by the house probably every other day since they accepted our offer, but never noticed a new roof or anyone working on it (never drove around back where there were missing shingles). So when it came time to finish closing I brought up the roof and when would it be done. They said it had been replaced. I immediately went out to look at it. To me, it looks like the same roof, but if you go around the back, there are no missing shingles. It honestly looks like they just repaired the roof and not actually replaced it. So now yesterday, the detective in me, I go to the neighbor and told him who I was and we were buying the home. I asked him if he ever saw roofers over there, he told me no. He said he gets home at 12:00 p.m. every day and never saw roofers. Now I am concerned. With closing so close, what can I even do? If we get in and I get a contractor to look at it, can we make them replace it if we are already closed? My realtor is no help with this. She is an old fossil and thinks that I am worrying about nothing, which I think is crazy.

Ask them for the name of the company and their point of contact for who replaced it. Ask them questions you know they cannot answer.

Then give them a new offer amount.
    Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Lol! Tell them you'd like to see the paperwork showing it has been replaced. If your realtor won't help then fire her ass. This is her fucking JOB to help you with issues such as this.

Comment

Remember, this is a buyers market, if they don't live up to something in the contract, walk away.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
          Lol! Tell them you'd like to see the paperwork showing it has been replaced. If your realtor won't help then fire her ass. This is her fucking JOB to help you with issues such as this.
          If they had a whole roof replaced, I'm certain that can supply you documentation and contacts for who did it.

If they cannot, massive red flag and it wasn't done.

I would also have another inspection done by an independent to verify.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
            If they had a whole roof replaced, I'm certain that can supply you documentation and contacts for who did it.

If they cannot, massive red flag and it wasn't done.

I would also have another inspection done by an independent to verify.
            This.

If it's in the contract to have the roof "Replaced" and not just "Repaired" then if it's not done, you don't close...

Draw up a new contract with new close date to allow time for the roof replacement or lower the price by $10K-$25K to account for roof replacement...
            "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

your realtor is telling you not to worry because she wants to get fucking paid. Tell her that you are walking away from the deal to light a fire under her ass, or getting a new agent that actually cares about your best interests

Comment

New roof = paper work and warranty work for like another 15yrs

Comment

+1 to all of the above.

Don't sign anything
                  Get the paperwork for the roof replacement AND talk face to face with someone at the company that did it.
                  Get another: independent inspection done by someone that YOU go and find.
                  Tell your realtor exactly what you want done and how you want it done. If she hesitates or tries to talk you out of anything get another realtor.

As said above, this is a buyers market. If you have the slightest reservation about anything get it resolved before going forward with anything having to do with closing. Keep pushing the closing date back if you have to and if people get upset,,,, tough fucking shit for them. You're the one putting out the cash, make sure you're 100% satisfied with everything.
                  "You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating Fruit Loops on your front porch"

Comment

Any reputable roofing contractor will do a free inspection, it would take about 10 seconds for them to know if it was recently replaced or not. I would demand paperwork from them, after they provide it I would still have someone look at it.

Comment

Once you close on it you own it. If you have questions, get them answered now.

As for whether it was replaced, walk around it, look in the bushes for plasti caps or bits of clear plastic, which would have come off the new shingles. Look for bits of old shingles, and roofing nails.
                      www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

Originally posted by Pro88LX View Post
                        your realtor is telling you not to worry because she wants to get fucking paid. Tell her that you are walking away from the deal to light a fire under her ass, or getting a new agent that actually cares about your best interests
                        In a nutshell.

Comment

Thanks guys. All great advise. I have left a message with my realtor, so hope she calls back soon. I called the mortgage company and expressed to them my concerns, they of course stated we can push back closing, which looks like will happen. .

Comment

That sucks to have to push back a closing date, but better to be safe than sorry. We just moved in on wednesday and our original closing date was October 24th and we extended closing 6 times.

Comment

fire the realtor if you dont like her

Comment

Working...
                              X